It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trapped girls updated Facebook instead of calling police

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
And lest we forget the immsense feeling of an adrenaline rush.

I have ran home over a mile before after crushing my finger leaving a fairly solid trail of blood behind me most of the way, as well as covering myself and my friend in the stuff. Now I really should have called an ambulance, I was really quite feint by the time my dad got me to hospital. But the adrenaline cut the pain mostly after a few minutes, and made me WANT to run and not call for help.

I almost died from drinking too much the other week, my friends panicked, and in their adrenaline rush threw water on me, and again called my parents instead of the ambulance which was needed.

These girls may have indeed been panicked, and in an adrenaline fueled moment found the situation very funny, OR it completely skipped their minds to call the police, and so instead posted on facebook.

[edit on 8-10-2009 by StevenDye]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Seriously people!?!

Stop and think what you're writing about... posts mentioning natural selection, Darwinism or just leaving 'em down there? You ARE talking about children who either made a bad decision, or who have parents that neglected to teach them well.

Callous speculation about the gene pool being better off, says way more about the messenger, than about those girls and a bad decision they made. Stop and think about what you're saying or intimating, before you put it out there...

Children, guys... c'mon.

[edit on 8-10-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Like oh mah gah! Im stuck in a sewer pipe, can one of my friends friggen get me out? Can SOMEONE get me some help or something?

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Very interesting.
And depressing.
I don't think it has much to do with the "younger generation". If this really happened as they say, these girls are socially and intellectually impaired. Or as my neighbor would say "jus' plain stupid".
I hope they never have children. I can't imagine them taking care of a baby. They can't even take care of themselves.

Sorry if I offend anyone. It's not my intention. But I do believe they are just stupid.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by bagari
Kids are in a sad state with these technological advances. My boys would rather sit in their rooms and text their buddies or instant message on the computer than actually get out of the house and hang out with their friends. If anything, I think we will see a degeneration of social skills in the coming generations.

We already have, which is why your kids are doing what they're doing.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder

By the way, it is my belief that 12 year olds shouldn't have cell phones anyway. But that's the way the world is moving I guess. Draw your own conclusions.

At least these girls are graphic proof that cell phones *do* fry the brain... That's gotta be worth something.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Maybe they could get 3G down there but not any normal service. . which doesn't really make sense but honestly this whole situation doesnt.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Lost in a storm drain may not have seemed worth calling authorities for help immediately, especially if they thought they could get out themselves. I could imagine myself (at 12y.o) trying to handle this on my own, before calling home or especially - the cops!

"We" have no idea what really went down. Well, except we know they were playing/exploring the storm drains. Yes, it's really dumb and incredibly dangerous, but I can imagine that it might have been exciting [to them] right up to the point they got lost...

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Okay so im not understanding this, they used Facebook to get help or they were trapped and literally didnt care about anything else other than updating there facebook? This is just odd.

And about the cell phone thing, all I need my cell phone to do is make friggin calls. So many people these days are worried about getting the latest greatest cell phone. And they will pay 400 dollars on the new one, when they already have a perfectly good 200 dollar one already. Ugh! Thanks for the story!

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
This is all so silly, I can't believe that they would really do that. I guess itgoes to show what direction we're moving in.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Yep, children, ages 10 and 12, according to the story, females as well.

When I originally read the original post, and then commented I had a range of emotions go flying by before I made my original post, and I still stand by it.

Know why?

I have been to Australia three times and I know the creepy crawlies that lurk there.

Australia's Deadliest. Thanks for the Fosters beer and the Body Bag.

My thoughts were on just how different six, eight, and two legged predators could have gotten them, just how irresponsible their parents may be, and why they updated their Facebook, instead of calling 000, Australia's version of America's 911.

At age 10, I had already been told by my stepfather he would break my neck, literally, and leave me by the side of the road for the trash men to pick up, if I brought illicit and illegal drugs in his house, all because I asked what the difference of what legal and illegal drugs were.

At about this time is when my brother and I began playing off in the woods, playing war, war games, hide-and-go-seek, you name it, no one usually found us, ever, whether they were supposed to, or not.

But, we were as well taught exactly how to get help if we became lost, as cell phones were not prevalent back then and my parents would never have bought one, let alone let us boys have one, not because of a lack of responsibility, but because of the fact that children in their eyes have no need for grown-up things.

Use mirrors to signal planes and or start a signal fire.

At age 12/13 I had already told a local Law Enforcement Officer, in not so nice words to go to Hell, I cannot put the words I used due to ATS T & C and the censors, but it was due to him being a total jerk on a power trip, and I told him that, because I was taught how to deal with arrogant people, including out of control Cops.

Now, my reason for relating my story, as well as mentioning two-legged predators earlier, is because I was taught just how hard life was, not to trust people, ever, and as well to circumvent normal circumstances if necessary to survive, but the one thing I was taught very well was to never, ever, go into drainage systems, because you can literally be killed by alligators (in Australia it crocodiles), rats, spiders, you name it, and this not being Australia we don't have nearly as many poisonous critters here, other than the occasional rattlesnake or cotton-mouth I would run into and steer wide and clear of at all costs.

That two girls, were out in what equals in my mind as a sewer, is irresponsible of the parents, that they had a cell phone and instead of dialing 000 they updated their Facebook status, was as well stupid, because if you know anything about the Internet is that it is not secure.

Those two-legged predators I spoke of could have been sexual predators.

They could have had access to their Facebook accounts and their not directly contacting Law Enforcement could have very well seen them captured and molested, or far worse sold into sexual slavery through human trafficking where they would never escape.

So, forgive me, maybe my comment should have instead been directed at their parents, but to me if these girls were not taught the difference between right and wrong, as well as not going into sewers or drainage areas, then something irrevocably stupid was done by not teaching them important skills, skills that boys are often taught that girls are not taught.

Yes, we may never know why they were out there, maybe to meet a boy or two boys, maybe to prove that girls are better than boys, maybe just for sheer stupidity, I just don't know.

I know this though and that is that they were damn lucky to have survived, at all.

Call me callous if you will, call me heartless, but I am a protector, and it boggles my mind when I see ignorance and stupidity.

[edit on 8-10-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Yet another few feet farther down in the vicious nose dive that is humanity!

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   

We have to remember that there are 50-50 sides to all things. What if the girls were in a situation where they were kidnapped and they could not talk on a phone because the assailant will hear them, so they update their blog on what their status is.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Its funny I read this today because my daughter has to write a speech about "cybercommunication: progress or problem" This will be good info for her. I can't believe thye didn't call the police. I'ts a no brainer man.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas
reply to post by LadySkadi

Yep, children, ages 10 and 12, according to the story, females as well.

(Snipped to save space)

I don't disagree with any of this post...

I do disagree [emphatically] with flippant replies, by multiple posters, that the population and/or the gene pool would be better off for letting children die, because they made a stupid or dangerous decision and/or mistake that they may or may not have been taught to make differently. I find the posts and the thought behind them rather disturbing, whether it was in jest, or not... I hope, it was simply about not thinking things out before posting. If not...

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
When I was 14, we hung out in a large group in an apartment complex. A man high on drugs threatened to rape the girls and chased a few to their apartments. When the boys of the group stopped some police officers for help, the police officers said that since there were not any adults as witnesses, there was nothing they could do and left.

I will never forget that as long as I live.

Fact is, it is not uncommon for police to write kids off as pranksters. And ignore their calls.

Friends would know better if the girls were joking or not.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Maybe they had no credit and didnt realise it was free to call emergency services?

Lots of phones come with unlimited free access to facebook and other social sites

Simple

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   

They probably fell in the hole texting and didn't see it.......................

Some kids nowadays are idiots.....there is no easy way to say it.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
....so on facebook...now I am going to start seeing everyone taking the test "The top 5 reasons to be stuck in a well".......

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
They probably visit this site and think the cops would beat them once they were rescued.

Kids are stupid these days. You notice that most cell phone commercials focus on how great they are to use getting on the internet.

Hardly any focus on how good they are at actually making a phone call. Its been a long time since I seen the "can you hear me now" commercial.

Do 911 facilities have a web accessible feature?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join