It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trapped girls updated Facebook instead of calling police

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Trapped girls updated Facebook instead of calling police

www.telegraph.co.uk

Police in Australia have voiced their concern about the growing use of social networking sites after two young girls who were trapped in a drainage well system updated their Facebook profiles instead of calling the emergency services for help
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Well, at least they were rescued.

But we can see how dependent the younger generation is on Facebook and other technlolgies. These girls use Facebook so much that it never even occurred to them to use their cell phones to call the police. Instead they did the social networking thing.

By the way, it is my belief that 12 year olds shouldn't have cell phones anyway. But that's the way the world is moving I guess. Draw your own conclusions.

www.telegraph.co.uk (visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

At first I was all like
but then I was like

That is crazy! I’m stuck in a well, what should I do? Oh ill update my face book!

It is a sad commentary on the world when a person stuck in a well would rather update there face book than call Insert emergency number here_______________.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
They probably visit this site and think the cops would beat them once they were rescued.

Kids are stupid these days. You notice that most cell phone commercials focus on how great they are to use getting on the internet.

Hardly any focus on how good they are at actually making a phone call. Its been a long time since I seen the "can you hear me now" commercial.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
They probably visit this site and think the cops would beat them once they were rescued.

Kids are stupid these days. You notice that most cell phone commercials focus on how great they are to use getting on the internet.

Hardly any focus on how good they are at actually making a phone call. Its been a long time since I seen the "can you hear me now" commercial.

You know, there was a time when cellphones were about the quest for slimmer, smalller devices. That was a good direction to be heading in, IMHO. You see, with my wallet, keys, and so on alreay taking up too much pocket space, I really don't need a bigger cell phone to tote around.

All I want out of a cell phone is the ability to make calls and maybe some rudimentary texting. No I don't want to surf the web from it, watch TV on it, or have it cook my freaking toast n' pancakes for me. I have a computer and a camera already so I don't need that kind of feature bloat on my cellphone.

I am sure there are other people who think like this. I think there is a bigger-than-niche market for a tiny, stripped-down portable phone that doesn't contain a zillion useless features and come with a user's manual the size of a dictionary.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I agree, but a phone that is mainly used for phone calls isn't cool.

I got one that is thin, slides up to show the keypad and fits great in my front pocket. Which was a must since my only vehicle is my HD RoadKing.

My wife on the other hand has the Rant, comes equiped with a keyboard and the rest of the bells and whistles.

The damn thing is so freaking big she cant put it into her pocket.

I feel like a person with a rotor dial phone complaining about push button phones.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   
This is exactly the type of event that makes me question Darwinism! Still... it could have been worse, they might of decided to paint their nails instead!

IRM

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Absolutely hilarious.
What could they of updated?
"Mellisa Smith: is stuck in a well. Better here then doing history homework LOL .... please help =[ "

It is rather silly,
im as right as ever when i say common sense is a myth in todays children.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

well its evolution but not towards a co existence with nature.

yet i just find the whole thing so ironic, what has their parents taught them or in what LALALA Land do their parents live in.

then again , the trauma that they suffred from made em go to facebook which can be interpeted that they feel/think the police is a cause of trauma and shock hence why they didnt call em.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Hate to be the sour apple but its a shame they didn't die down there , it would have cleaned up the gene pool a bit more, if they have to update their facebook page instead of calling for help.
What a couple of MORONS.
Are the Darwin awards still going on? can we award it to these girls?

Today I woke up, giggled a bit, spoke to my gurlfriendz and then fell down a well, I'm all muddy and dirty , what should I do? I.M me to give me advice Plz....

PLANKS.

Maybe they need to close facebook down for a couple of months, and get people communicating the old fashioned way , by actually TALKING to each other. Other sites like this one you know it can be hours before someone posts, and no one you know personally is going to be online at the time.

[edit on 8/10/09 by DataWraith]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Awww hell.

Shoulda left them down there and called it passive eugenics.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Hehe same requirement on my phone: must comfortably slip into the front pocket on my race leathers, and have buttons big enough to txt with leather gloves

Ended up with a motorola v3i, trusty workhorse of many years!

Facebook is slowly becoming many peoples replacement for life, this article simply highlights that...

-GR

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Kids are in a sad state with these technological advances. My boys would rather sit in their rooms and text their buddies or instant message on the computer than actually get out of the house and hang out with their friends. If anything, I think we will see a degeneration of social skills in the coming generations.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   

I'm almost speechless.

I wonder if they twittered and got all their social texting done at the same time.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by bagari
My boys would rather sit in their rooms and text their buddies or instant message on the computer than actually get out of the house and hang out with their friends. If anything, I think we will see a degeneration of social skills in the coming generations.

They all are.

The children would rather play in the virtual world than the police state we did nothing to stop.

Playing tag = assault charge/suspension/expulsion *Hands-off policy dontchaknow...

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by GhostR1der

i just went shopping
i just made some food
i just bougth a new cd
i just watched some tv
i just had a donut
i just went to sleep
i just wokeup

zzzzz

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
have to be honest maybe natural selection would have been better in this situation then them being saved

i mean really if they were that dumb that they used facebook instead of 911 then they really arent smart enough to be alive

i mean there have been cases of like toddlers calling 911

but at 12 they use facebook and sit there

they may be young, but god they are dumb

we really could do with less people on this earth, especially a lot less of the dumb ones

and that is chronically dumb

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by bagari
Kids are in a sad state with these technological advances. My boys would rather sit in their rooms and text their buddies or instant message on the computer than actually get out of the house and hang out with their friends. If anything, I think we will see a degeneration of social skills in the coming generations.

Uh...looking in the mirror here, I find myself forced to admit that I'd rather sit in my room and post on ATS than actually get out of the house and, uh, do anything, really. And I'm no spring chicken, to put it mildly.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   
just shows how retarted the youth nowadays have gotten,sad but true.. i have one of these type living with me now.. and its a sad sight.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   
I can’t help thinking that this is more of a reflection on the parent’s lack of parenting skills then the girl’s intelligence levels...

I'm guessing that these little princes have been spoilt rotten all there life’s and live in a pampered Hanna Montana reality where nothing bad can happen... it’s all just a big adventure to talk about on facecrook... and if it goes wrong?? Well daddy will sort it out with his credit card...

Shame on the parents!!

My Daughter is 10 years old... I asked her what she would do if she fell into a storm drain and was trapped with nothing but a Mobile phone... she gave me a look that said "is this a trick question?" and then said... “Call the police?"

Like most good parents I have had many discussions with my daughter about "what to do in the event of"
From getting lost... to being approached by strangers... it’s been drummed into her head!!

Any parent who doesn’t do similar is neglecting their duty’s in my opinion!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join