It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cluster 7.0+ Magnitude Earthquakes Hit Vanuatu & Santa Cruz Islands

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by titorite

do we have a tally of the recent big ones?

be curious to see them all on one map(with dates), to see if there are patterns...

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Looks like there could possibly be a giant undersea volcano ready to blow at any minute. Doesn't this look like a build up to an eruption? Or is it just me?

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

This page:
earthquake.usgs.gov...

List of earthquakes on this map:
earthquake.usgs.gov...

[edit on 2009-10-7 by Shirakawa]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Per yer request...

Latest Earthquakes in the World - Past 7 days
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Latest Earthquakes in the World - Past 7 days
earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Another strong aftershock 6.1 Santa Cruz Island, will give specifics when the are posted

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

The 6.1 was actually a 6.9!
earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Just upgraded to 6.9

MAP 6.9 2009/10/08 02:12:39 -11.649 166.144 35.0 SANTA CRUZ ISLANDS

[edit on 7-10-2009 by Wookiep]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Anyone want to place bets on some new Volcano ~appearing~ or the plate crumbling?

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

I already called it back here.

Originally posted by StinkyFeet
Looks like there could possibly be a giant undersea volcano ready to blow at any minute. Doesn't this look like a build up to an eruption? Or is it just me?

[edit on 7-10-2009 by StinkyFeet]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Uh yep, equake is a rocking every couple of minutes.

Seeing lot of 5.x's and 6.x's rolling by.

I love equake only thing is that I have to re-maximize my window every time, kinda annoying but worth it for the instant info.

Awesome addon.

[edit on 7-10-2009 by mkross1983]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by StinkyFeet

Is there a known one in the area?

EDIT: Volcano that is.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mkross1983

To be honest I have no idea.. but I have a feeling in a few weeks or less there will be. But its just a guess, so don't buy stock in it.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by StinkyFeet
reply to post by mkross1983

To be honest I have no idea.. but I have a feeling in a few weeks or less there will be. But its just a guess, so don't buy stock in it.

Well it's a good educated guess.

I was watching Discovery the other day and they were doing a show on volcanoes, very interesting stuff to, and how quakes occur more frequent before eruptions. It's as good a theory as any.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
This is fascinating, and scary at the same time. I've been watching the magnitudes and areas of quakes for months, just out of curiosity, and this seems unusual to me. But then I have no education in this area.

I wonder what will it take for the folks who say that this is normal to say that things aren't normal? I guess time will tell.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Sorry, double post - freakin' computer.

[edit on 7-10-2009 by lel1111]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by mkross1983
reply to post by StinkyFeet

Is there a known one in the area?

EDIT: Volcano that is.

or any underwater calderas? (super volcanoes) for that matter? something we wouldn't even really be paying much attention to like yellowstone? (sorry, very speculative on my part)

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by toepick

Looking at the plate and faults on Google Earth it looks like a big craggy Caldera...

Hmmm...

[edit on 10/7/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Oh yeah a giant Caldera. It will crack open and sea water will rush in, turn to steam, and BOOM!

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Galactic cosmic rays hit 50-year high

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4bfd552cddae.jpg[/atsimg]

Galactic cosmic rays have just hit a Space Age high, new data from a NASA spacecraft indicates.

"In 2009, cosmic ray intensities have increased 19 percent beyond anything we've seen in the past 50 years," said Richard Mewaldt of Caltech. "The increase is significant, and it could mean we need to re-think how much radiation shielding astronauts take with them on deep-space missions."

The surge, which poses no threat to Earth, was detected by NASA's ACE (Advanced Composition Explorer) spacecraft.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

NASA says these pose no threat to earth...then how do they explain the abnormally high level of volcanic activity in recent years...

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
The high energy particles that make it through the sun's and then earth's magnetic field represent very small mass going at a high rate of speed. To those particles you look like a very loosely organized bunch of atoms. The single largest thing you contain by far is empty space. Even it they hit you, which they do, you don't even feel it though it may kill a cell on rare occasion or perhaps distort it in someway causing a cancer cell. More than likely, however, they just pass through without hitting anything.

When it comes to the planet, there is no effect on plate tectonics from this type of radiation with regard to a physics point of view that I could see. I would put your mind at ease over this one and chalk it up to accumulated stresses as the most likely cause.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join