It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Is compromise possible between militant atheists and religious believers?

page: 2
7
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
It's a great question and I think the answer is absolutely YES!


Originally posted by reticledc
Religious=live and let live.
Atheist=live and let live.


I'm an atheist (I'm not militant about it, I just am) and I totally accept that religion is a very important part of some people's lives. It doesn't hurt me or intrude upon my life for people to have their religion.

If it DOES start to intrude, then I will have something to say. But if we could all just have the mindset that it's OKAY if we don't agree, then like reticledc, I don't see the problem...




posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by unicorn1
Why on earth is the word atheist tied up with the word militant? In any case the word militant is more likely to be linked with the word religion. So maybe the OP would care to rephrase this very loaded question.

[edit on 7-10-2009 by unicorn1]


I understand why some atheists are militant, are you?

OT

PS: WHY?



posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker
 


for the same reason there are religious zealots. Hate and intolerance for those who think differently can easily cloud reason.

I know it was not a question directed at me, sorry for this outburst.



posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
It's a great question and I think the answer is absolutely YES!


Originally posted by reticledc
Religious=live and let live.
Atheist=live and let live.


I'm an atheist (I'm not militant about it, I just am) and I totally accept that religion is a very important part of some people's lives. .....


Another wise post from BH!!!!

Star for ya...

OT



posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by newworld
reply to post by OldThinker
 


for the same reason there are religious zealots. Hate and intolerance for those who think differently can easily cloud reason.

I know it was not a question directed at me, sorry for this outburst.


newworld, no problem, you are always welcome to address ot!!!

I wish you well...

OT



posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker

Originally posted by unicorn1
Why on earth is the word atheist tied up with the word militant? In any case the word militant is more likely to be linked with the word religion. So maybe the OP would care to rephrase this very loaded question.

[edit on 7-10-2009 by unicorn1]


I understand why some atheists are militant, are you?

OT

PS: WHY?


If by militant this means an athiest asking the question: "why do you choose to believe in an unproven assertion?" Then maybe it's more of an indication than religious people overreact, and show their own insecurity. But even most athiests care little about other people's beliefs to bother asking such questions, unless those beliefs are forced upon them.

[edit on 7-10-2009 by john124]



posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by john124
......If by militant this means an athiest asking the question: "why do you choose to believe in an unproven assertion?" .....



Hi john124, what does unproven mean to you?

OT



posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
When an article is titled with name calling....Atheists Are Militants....you can certainly expect that the ensuing paragraphs will not be unbiased.

The subtle propaganda of religionists at work!



posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Oh joy, OT made an appearance in here! OT, can you please post more than one line comments and something with more substance please. Your a very disturbed and confusing individual, most of your post's make no sense and half of those that don't make sense aren't really needed to be made at all.



posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alethea

The subtle propaganda of religionists at work!



please do explain????? praytell?

Sorry for the "religious" word....

OT



posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirnex
Oh joy, OT made an appearance in here! OT, can you please post more than one line comments and something with more substance please. Your a very disturbed and confusing individual, most of your post's make no sense and half of those that don't make sense aren't really needed to be made at all.


Hi, my young friend....

uok?

doesn't one question warrant one line?

Would you prefer a dissertation?

btw, OT's got over 7200 replies....can you help me?

OT curious


You have less than 120...why all the cockiness?



posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker
 


Amount of replies is meaningless. If I took all 120 of my replies and divided them into one liner's like yours, I'd have you beat hands down! It's substance that counts, it's an ability to actually converse what your thinking rather than being so damn cryptic and short. I know your capable of posting more than a few words, I've seen at least ... three posts with more than a couple of sentences.



posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirnex
reply to post by OldThinker
 


Amount of replies is meaningless. If I took all 120 of my replies and divided them into one liner's like yours, I'd have you beat hands down! It's substance that counts, it's an ability to actually converse what your thinking rather than being so damn cryptic and short. I know your capable of posting more than a few words, I've seen at least ... three posts with more than a couple of sentences.



"Desperate, you are"...sorry for the Yoda


pls notice my replies are 2 to 1 on my posts...folks are interested, because I'm not about ME....


you?

I think not!!!!

In fact your replies are in the inverse....pls notice the ratio here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

OP, sorry for the distraction...

sirnex, I'm not your enemy friend....just a MIRROR....and you hate the image.....


oh, well...still praying for you

= = = = =

Now back on topic...

OP, I'll leave should he continue....

You ask a wise question, thx!

OT

[edit on 7-10-2009 by OldThinker]



posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirnex
reply to post by OldThinker
 


Amount of replies is meaningless. If I took all 120 of my replies and divided them into one liner's like yours, I'd have you beat hands down!.....



My posts?.....

And replies...to me....

Are DISCRETE, right?

'Discrete'??????

Google it friend....either ... or

"Mutually exclusive"

"separate"

OT really wonders what is the relationship? Maybe the "confidence interval" and the "p-value"?????


Friend, you are drinking that barcardi again, right?

Come on, go to sleeep....


OT


[edit on 7-10-2009 by OldThinker]



posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirnex
Oh joy, OT made an appearance in here! OT..... You a very disturbed and confusing individual......



I should make a joke about OT's wife's perspective on me , but I won't....

pls explain how I am 'disturbed' and 'confused'???????

Lay it out for all, ok????

Spend time on it...make it a priority!!!!!!!

I really HOPE you do, because I am very very interested in your thoughts....

because, as you don't know ...(YET)

NONE of us is as SMART as ALL of us!!!!!!! OT can learn......and I want to, why, because JC is my best friend and told me to shut up and learn...and I will.


BET YOU ..............

JC will use you in GREAT WAYS in the DECADE to come?

Yes, you....

Like my boy TRIV says.........."IT'S OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" see 'wtam'

And you are blessed accordingly.....

And if you dare check out: BOOMIN!!!!! here: www.youtube.com...

"THIS GOES OUT TO ANYONE LISTENING!!!!!

anyone is sirnex.....



posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Is compromise possible between militant atheists and religious believers?


Yes, I think there could be, as a result of the contextual frame of reference.

If everything is part of one, interdependant whole, which is made of information, and if life is purpose driven, then assigning a type of overarching will and intent to a universal, self aware, intelligence, would surely be a frame of reference available to both atheist and believer alike..?

I doubt all atheists subscribe to a dead and purposeless, meaningless existence, where life is just a freak accident born of nothing but random chaos.

Also I've heard that any and every atheist who is exposed to a certain endogenous neurotransmitter, walks straight across that bridge or "compromise", never to return.

[edit on 7-10-2009 by OmegaPoint]



posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
The atheist believes God does not exists.

The atheist believes he is right.

One's God is that which one obeys,

The atheist obeys himself.

The atheist is his own God.

The atheist is a religious believer.

The Gospel message will be preached throughout all corners of the earth.

There can be no compromise there.

Atheists are paid to teach their religion in public schools(evolution) and

their scientists are government funded.

Creation scientists are not gov. funded and not paid to teach creation in

public schools.

As long as atheists can teach there religion to our kids and receive government funding, there will be no compromise, and Creation science will continue to expose the lies and fraud inherent in the atheists religion.


On a personal level, if either side does not want to get into debates, they don't have to. They can both mind their own business.



posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by John Matrix
 


Well viewers????

You just met JM!!!!!

And will have to deal with TRUTH!!!!!!!!!

Sorry


OT



posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaPoint
.....and if life is purpose driven....]



hey op...


glad you have taken the time to join....all ok?

OT found this on topic....here: www.purposedrivenlife.com...

thots?

ole OT



posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by happygolucky
reply to post by silent thunder
 



Is compromise possible between militant atheists and religious believers?



The title of the thread sux...





How about Is compromise possible between militant atheists and religious zealots?


At least the thread title would be balanced...otherwise you label the atheists with a negative connotation right away.




I read the adjective "militant" as applying to both sides, for what its worth...



new topics

top topics



 
7
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join