It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No move in the American labor movement!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Why is there no movement in the American labor movement?

Over the course almost 20 years , I’ve seen the labor movement in America decline, from good, to bad, to worse. Not just in it’s inability to organize new members, but also in maintaining the goodwill of it’s existing members. There is much friction now between union leadership and membership. What is called a fraternity (brotherly) relationship between labor leaders and membership, is now true in name only. There is a disparity now between, salary, benefits, accountability, purpose and direction just to name a few.

The labor movement was one the icon of, “equal pay for equal work” Now the labor movement has all but abandon even this basic principle.

My own opinion is Labor made a wrong move when it started forming partnerships with management in the early 90’s and has declined ever since. History has shown , the wins which labor has got was through struggle, through strikes, slowdowns, and protest.

What’s going on in the labor movement seems to parallel the same decline and mistrust we fine in our government.

Your comments?……………..

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by useless eaters

Personally, I am kind of glad that labor unions are not doing a good job. I have worked in places where there are unions and have found unions to be destructive to the overall success of the company.

Most union workers are like a step up from welfare recipients. They have this air of entitlement, like they are owed a job. They don't work hard, they complain, they won't do a thing outside their job description, and will do anything to avoid working. No wonder most union jobs have been exported to other countries.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by StinkyFeet

I can't totally disagree with that, however I believe their stand on such things as, "equal pay for equal work" was a sane move at the time and did much to help women in the workforce who were getting substandard wage for the same job as men.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I blame SEIU, fat lazy people just wanting to get rich.

The union is choking labor.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by useless eaters

Not just in it’s inability to organize new members, but also in maintaining the goodwill of it’s existing members. There is much friction now between union leadership and membership.

Who benefits from the labor union? Mainly the union bosses and managers. They do real well as long as they keep the money rolling in from the members.
The long time union members do well as they not only get good pay but get their pick of the jobs.

New union members are treated poorly, don't get to work the hours they want but still have to pay high union dues (many hundreds of dollars a year!)

Is a company better off with union employees? Usually they are worse off than their competitors, more likely to file chapter 11, more likely to go bankrupt.

Look at Walmart. Union free and arguably the most successful company in America!

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by plumranch

Walmart has been sued out the wazzoo though. Yes a profitable company it is. But how many employees get totally screwed on their checks when they work 20 hours overtime and see 5 of those hours?

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Toodles

Walmart has been sued out the wazzoo though. Yes a profitable company it is. But how many employees get totally screwed on their checks when they work 20 hours overtime and see 5 of those hours?

Problems like that can be handled by the law.

Nevertheless, Walmart is very solvent and faces no need for government bailout.. like GM!

In an increasingly global economy it is difficult to see a place for unions for anything other than safety and domestic issues.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by plumranch

Your right, union leadership reminds me so much of our congress. Both are unaccountable, both have no respect for the people who put them there, both are self serving, both have a disparity in incomes, benefits. A lot of union members don't know, leadership have a totally different retirement plan than does membership. At least CONgress is a bit more honest and does not try to say they are a fraternity voters as leadership does with membership.

top topics

join