It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gaza doctor refutes casualties reported in Cast Lead op

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Gaza doctor refutes casualties reported in Cast Lead op

A doctor at Gaza's Shifa Hospital told the Gaza correspondent of the Italian daily Corriere della Sera that the number of Palestinians killed in Gaza during Operation Cast Lead might have been 500 or 600, mostly young men between the ages of 17 and 23, "drafted by Hamas, who sent them to the slaughter."

The doctor, who refused to identify himself out of fear for his life, also told the correspondent, Lorenzo Cremonesi: "It might have been like in Jenin in 2002. First they talked about 1,500 dead, and in the end it turned out to be only 54, among them 45 fighters." The doctor said he was surprised that aid groups, including Western ones, reported the numbers without confirming them.

Source: Haaretz

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note (This Appears On Every New Thread Page):
AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread. If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events, or important information from other sites; please post one or two paragraphs, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

[edit on 10/10/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I also liked this bit:

His cousin, Um Abdallah, 48, said: "On almost all the roofs of the tall buildings that were hit by Israeli bombs there were rocket-launchers or Hamas look-outs. They placed them by the U.N. storehouse that burned down."

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Looks like the truth is starting to come out, as lots of us suspected all along. Overblown casualty reports, exaggerated civilian deaths. Yep, usual modus operandi for these terrorist groups, and not unsurprising that the UN, rights groups and the media swallowed it all and regurgitated it gleefully.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
This is a tactic that they've been using for a while. Shoot from the perimeter of a UN non-armed base. Hide missles at a school or hospital.

Either way you win. Your missle hits! Good! Someone else blows up the site, and now everyone on their side AND your side hates them for being so mean. Still Good!

People seem to think that because they don't believe one groups propaganda, that they are intellectually free. Rejecting one set of propaganda and buying into another type doesn't mean you are using critical thinking. Until you start realizing that your being manipulated by all sides, and start questioning all of their motivations, you're still nothing but a mouth piece for someone else's brain.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Cool, an Israeli newspaper, refutes the numbers that the enemy, and international groups gave. I wonder what they could gain from that...? Oh yeah, now I remember, they don't want to look like a bunch of mass murdering psychopaths.

So I think it is a great idea to use domestic media for all news. So for Iran we will use their news and ignore everyone else, because their news says that they working on peace and everything in sunshine and lollipops over there. The Israelis say they were no where near as bad as EVERY OTHER news source points out, so they can't be. US news is saying the recession is over, go and get that credit limit upped we are home free.

Seriously, objectivity is awesome, we should use it more.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Rook1545

Actually it was reporting something which appeared in an Italian paper, Corriere della Sera.

And Israel's press is independent from the government, what with it being a democracy and all, and few outlets are less sympathetic to the government than Haaretz.

Nice try.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by mattpryor

Actually it was reporting something which appeared in an Italian paper, Corriere della Sera.

And Israel's press is independent from the government, what with it being a democracy and all, and few outlets are less sympathetic to the government than Haaretz.

Nice try.

So when I hear people saying that news agencies like CNN and MSNBC are nothing more than shills for the Obama government, and how FOX was shilling for Bush, I should ignore that completely, because they are independently owned? Even though you can blatantly see the bias?

I will agree with you that Haaretz is not towing the government line when they come out and say that settlements and occupation are illegal as defined by every other nation in the world (even the US has said this). When you put your Nation's "best interests" above objective reporting, you are not independent.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Hmmm. So, I post an article from a left-wing leaning newspaper in Israel, and you dismiss it because it's not objective (being Israeli). I then tell you that it was repeating a report from an Italian newspaper, but that doesn't make it believable to you either?

Tell me, since you don't like my choice of news sources, what media outlets should I read to find out what is going on in Israel and Gaza?

PS there is a difference between bias (e.g. selectively reporting a speech, which is what politically biased media organisations do) and just making stuff up. If you believe Haaretz made this up I suggest you write to them and complain.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by mattpryor

Dude, I hope you have your flame suit on.

You are going to have like half of ATS attacking you because of what you posted. lol

You know very well that ATS is pretty notoriously anti-Israel . . . or should I say anti-Zionist Regime?

Palestinians are always right, and Israel is always wrong.

Good luck, friend!

[edit on 10/7/2009 by Lemon.Fresh]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by mattpryor

Regarding what Lemon.Fresh said, he's right, the troll legions of anti-Zionism and anti-Israel will show up and claim the report is all lies. Have they ever met an Israeli, much less a Zionist? I have many, many times. And from what I understand from Orthodox and liberal Jew alike, Israel is not Nazi Germany. It is not South Africa during the apartheid. It is an island. An island surrounded by sharks. Sharks with rockets, mortars, and murderous intent. No frickin' lasers here.

S&F

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
This matches reports from a right wing new reporter that got into Gaza two week after and checked the graveyards against aerial photos of the same graveyards before and after.the cast lead operations.

He estimated about 520 new graves that had Hamas martyr flags/headstones showing they had ties to Hamas and about 130 that did not that showed they were not Hamas fighters.
Of this number a percentage were likely to have been natural causes and the rest civilian war casualties.
If hamas wants to make the world believe there are a lot of civilian war casualties they need to dig a lot more graves and put civilian head stones on them.

A common way the US and other nato units count the other sides war dead is by counting graves and subtracting the average weekly non war death rate for the area.

This is what the US and NATO uses in Afghanistan to tell the civilian death toll after a US attack on the Taliban and there is a claim of a large number of civilian dead.
Another way in a ground battle in Afghanistan is to take the count of the enemy weapons and types (shoulder and crew served ETC)found after a battle and subtract it from the number of bodies found.

The US military has done this on there daily combat action reports since WW2.

top topics

join