It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hamas bans women from riding on backseat of motorbikes

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I don't think people here have a problem with the actual posting of the topics - it's your sentiment at the end that throws ANY support for your opinion out the window.

Originally posted by mattpryor
Israel should have finished the job in January and freed Gaza from the grip of these unelected misogynistic thugs.

Do you honestly expect anyone to support your opinion with crap like that?

"Finished the job..." ? You're no better than those you are against with talk like that.

[edit on 7-10-2009 by noonebutme]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Seems like a big safey issue to me. Remeber, US has very strict road rules, and bikes are hardly safe here. I can't begin to imagine what it must be like in other countries.

Is it just women or all people? If it is just women, then that may be an issue.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

It's just women, and it's supposedly to protect their modesty.

If you continue to read the report they have also started insisting on females lawyers wearing head scarves in court, which is not part of Gaza tradition, and have started breaking up mixed couples on the beach (they've introduced segregated beaches).

I'll point you to another thread I started pointing to another JPost article about Gaza - Analysis - the Islamification of Gaza

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by mattpryor

Yes, I am very critical of Israel. I refuse to accept the "poor us" line that we have been fed for 60 years. I do agree that they have every right to defend themselves. I will not argue that. I will however argue the ways that they go about getting sympathy, the flagrant disregard for international law, and the complete oppression of another group of people.

I will go after people that blindly defend Israel. I make no bones about that. People that point out the fact that the Palestinian people do all these horrible things, but can't see or refuse to see the fact the Israel is not always the victim.

Yeah the kid's shows that advocate death to all Jews is sickening. I am not going to deny that. But the indoctrination of the Israeli youth is not much different, is simply not broadcast on TV. Look at how the IDF treated civilians during their little skirmish. Look at how Settlers treat Palestinians. Look at how they force the rest of the World to cowtow to them and their belief that God gave them that piece of land. God has no place in politics, we all know that in the West. Why do we give in to them?

AS for the rockets, do we know for sure it is Hamas that is making them and launching them? That is not rhetorical, it is serious. We seem to do that out here in the West. A couple of years ago someone was smuggling weapons into Iraq from Iran and everyone jumped on saying it was the government. If an American smuggled weapons in to Canada, or started lobbing what amounts to bottle rockets over the border, should Canadians think that is the American government doing it?

I have given my thoughts on how to sort this whole mess out on previous threads.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Wow, I've opened up a real hornet's nest with this one. Oh well, makes my afternoon go quicker!

I love how all the people that are so quick to jump on the anti-Israel bandwagon are so indignant that I should dare to criticise Hamas.

And you lecture me about hypocrisy?

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Wow, I've opened up a real hornet's nest with this one.

What you opened up one more time is your deep hatred of Arabs and the notion that they should be exterminated (or finished, to use your own words). There is no other content in your posts.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Just as an aside, how is this about Isreal exactly? It is about the plight of the free Palestians that most of you are normally so concerned with. They are losing whatever freedoms they have had in the last little while to the Islamic rule. So complain all you want about Isreal but really Hamas is as much to blame for the way Palestinians are living. But I guess it's easier to condemn Matt for it than to face up to the fact that Islam is the problem.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by habfan1968
Just as an aside, how is this about Isreal exactly? It is about the plight of the free Palestians that most of you are normally so concerned with. They are losing whatever freedoms they have had in the last little while to the Islamic rule. So complain all you want about Isreal but really Hamas is as much to blame for the way Palestinians are living. But I guess it's easier to condemn Matt for it than to face up to the fact that Islam is the problem.

I guess I just don't understand this "Islam is the problem" line people are spouting. We point out that it is a culture difference. They live differently than us. Should we start a riot because they don't eat pork too? What about alcohol?

As it is a Muslim "nation", and they like their women to be modest, I don't really see there being much outcry about this. It is the equivalent of us making laws against thong bikinis in public (which we do have).

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Much of the anti-Israel rhetoric is based on popular misunderstandings, ignorance of history and trend activism. Most of those misunderstandings root from pro-terrorist organisations.

Demagoguery here is fascinating! The OP was about Arab ladies and motorbikes, and has nothing to do with Israel (with exception of the OPer opinion that Israel should wife them out).

Again, accusing anyone who said that it's not a big deal if ladies, in an Islamic society, aren't allowed to ride in the back seat, of being anti-Israel, is an inept and laughable application of demagoguery.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Now this I have to take exception to.

You are putting words in my mouth and making assumptions about my views which are unjustified and unwarranted. I have never, ever expressed hatred towards any group of people on these forums, and I do not hold any such sentiments.

I believe that Hamas have not acted responsibly, have launched unprovoked attacks against Israeli civilians, and that Gazans would have been better off if Israel had taken the opportunity to remove them from power, stabilize the area, restore law and order, and allowed the UN to hold free and fair elections and then oversee the resulting transition of power and ensure it is peaceful. I don't see why that is a controversial view or displays any hatred towards Arabs.

There is a fundamental problem in Arab society which allows strongmen and bullies to seize power, which in every case leads to suppression of minorities and curtails freedoms for ordinary people. You'd have to be a fool to recognise that this does not advance world peace and only breeds more resentment and hatred in the long run, particularly when those bullies and strongmen blame the West (Israel, the US and the UK in particular) for all the problems they've caused and incite hatred against us.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Rook1545

Please show me where in the Koran it states that women should not ride motorcycles. This is not Islam, this is using Islam as an excuse to assert control over human beings and suppress their rights.

This is not about religion, this is about people using religion for power and control. I genuinely don't understand how you can think that's right or seek to defend it.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Now this I have to take exception to.

You are putting words in my mouth and making assumptions about my views which are unjustified and unwarranted.

You were the first one to drag the Holocaust into this discussion, which we thought was about Hamaz, bikes and Arab ladies wanting to ride them. How's that for a Freudian slip? Don't you even understand what is obvious to everybody on this board, that any post you make on any subject at all (bikes, in this instance), is just a way for you to channel your hate of Arabs and blind support of Israel?

I didn't put the word "Holocaust" in your mouth. You did.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by mattpryor

I never actually said the Hamas was super-hella awesome. There was nothing there to learn. It comes down to the fact that we in the West cannot cherry pick the democracy in other countries. Whether you like it or not, Hamas was elected in a democratic election. As such, they get to make the rules for their little slice of heaven whether we like it or not. And we don't. In the West we hate it. We hate to admit that this group won fair and square. We thought the people would elect a group more in line with what we "thought" they should have. They elected who they wanted.

The misunderstandings about Islam come from a cultural disconnect. We see it is as some kind of abuse, yet alot of these people really don't care. If you were to ask the more conservative Muslim WOMEN about women on motorbikes, they would agree with what Hamas has done. That is the thing, they don't see themselves the way we see them. They believe the same way that the men over there believe. They do not see it as being subjugated, they see it as being protected. Of course more liberal Muslims would decry it, that is their right. It is no different than over here with things such as abortion, and religion in school.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Let's see, most Americans are one paycheck away from being on the streets, the economy is one step away from tanking, corporate executives are being rewarded billions in taxpayers dollars for robbing the system, American police forces are beating the hell out of peaceful citizens for no reason whatsoever, the American media is feeding the public horse manure to incite WWIII, innocent civilians and soldiers are dying all over the world because we are looking for evil cavemen and we are supposed to be concerned about some women half way around the world who are not permitted to ride on the back of a motorbike?

Thanks for putting things into perspective.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   

A holocaust denier accused me of being sick. I'm probably not the only person that has not noticed the irony of it, which is why I pointed it out.

Please stop telling me I hate Arabs. I don't.

What I want is for people who frequently lambaste Israel to face up to the fact that Israel is not the problem, radical political Islam is the problem, and until that is addressed it doesn't matter how many settlements get built, there will never be peace.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   

What I want is for people who frequently lambaste Israel to face up to the fact that Israel is not the problem, radical political Islam is the problem, and until that is addressed it doesn't matter how many settlements get built, there will never be peace.

It is not just Islam that is the problem, it is all fanaticism in that area, be it muslim or otherwise.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join