It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snoopers Could Win £1,000 Prizes For Monitoring CCTV Cameras On The Internet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Snoopers Could Win £1,000 Prizes For Monitoring CCTV Cameras On The Internet

www.telegrap h.co.uk

The new scheme, called Internet Eyes, involves web users scouring CCTV cameras installed in shops, businesses and town centres across Britain looking for offenders....
The cameras’ owners will be charged a fee for putting live footage from their cameras online, while members of the public who help catch criminals can win cash prizes...
The project will be trialled in Stratford-upon-Avon, Warks, next month, but the consortium behind the idea hopes that it will eventually attract global audience
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
EU Funding 'Orwellian' Artificial Intelligence Plan To Monitor Public For "Abnormal Behaviour"

[edit on 7-10-2009 by burntheships]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Citizen spies...winning cash prizes for reporting "suspected" crimes.

This is Orwellian on a grand scale...Police State maximus!

What happens when someone who is "watching" does not see anything to report? Well I suspect this will bring out the very worst in the people "watching".

What is next, reporting people who you suspect "may" do something wrong in the future?

www.telegrap h.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Aren't people scum, horay for them.

Who watches the watchers?

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

There are bad ideas and there are bad ideas.

This one goes beyond the arena of stupid, though.

Nice find.

S&F

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
Aren't people scum, horay for them.

Who watches the watchers?

Who watches the watchers? Me. I'm pitching an idea to Stratford-upon-Avon council and police where I install CCTV into the homes of the people watching the online CCTV feeds and I monitor them monitoring just in case they get up to no good and are not filing accurate reports.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

and of course i shall have to submit a proposal that i should monitor you , monitoring them monitoring us - because who knows what you will get upto - someone needs to keep an eye on you

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Thanks for the info. I'm unemployed so I might go for it.

I don't like databases
I don't like CCTV much
I don't like traffic cameras
I don't like....

But I rather think CCTV is here to stay. They are already monitored. This is just a different, more effective and cheaper (probably) way of doing it.
Seriously WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?
I once reported someone who was hanging round a cash machine. Each time after someone had used it he would go to the machine and mess around with it. He was hunched over the machine and I couldn't see what he was doing. So does that make me a SNOOPER?

[edit on 7-10-2009 by unicorn1]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Starred and Flagged!!!

I was just going to post this story. This is unreal i have so much to say about this that i don't even want to be bothered tbh.

"We've had a lot of interest from local businesses and hope to roll it out nationwide and then worldwide," Morgan said, adding, Britain has around 4 million CCTV cameras.

Is this not the scariest most absurd 1984, Staziesque thing you have ever seen?

Best thing we can do is to find a proxy any proxy, boot internet eyes and click like crazy... the cops will be getting flooded with alerts for nothing from random ips and it will just become such a nuisance they will have to end the program.

Victory

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

and of course i shall have to submit a proposal that i should monitor you , monitoring them monitoring us - because who knows what you will get upto - someone needs to keep an eye on you

Exactly! See, this is how the money-goes-round! All we need to do is call ourselves legitimate business and we've created a model for how modern politics and business work seamlessly hand-in-hand!

And, in all seriousness, my local council actually does a very similar thing with scrutiny panels, where a scrutiny panel was set-up to monitor the council and another panel was set-up to scrutinise the scrutiny panel who in turn reported back to the council. It's like a Escher drawing of politicians on their hands and knees in a circle nuzzling each other's arses.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
From the OP link:

"..The service’s website will also feature a gallery of the so-called “criminals” along with a list of their offences and which internet user caught them.."

Now thats grounds for a slander/defamation action right there!

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Taikonaut
From the OP link:

"..The service’s website will also feature a gallery of the so-called “criminals” along with a list of their offences and which internet user caught them.."

Now thats grounds for a slander/defamation action right there!

Not if they wait to post the pictures until the people have been tried and found guilty, then it's just public record. They have 4 million cameras and 60 million people. So that's a 15 to 1 ratio. That's passed the creepy stage in my books.

Of course the next step is to have cameras follow people around that way you get more bang for your buck.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Does the scheme cover whitehall/parliment by any chance?
If so,I'll be signing up-I'll get that £1000 in minutes reporting all the politicians I spot hiring rent boys or buying coc aine.

This scheme could be turned on its head by using it to bust thug cops who are over zelous with their tasers/batons.

Seriously though,If I was part of a government who is constantly being accused of using 1984 as a handbook,I would not give fuel to that fire by backing totalitarian schemes like this.

Why don't they just chemically lobotomise us all and be done with it?
Oh yeah,they are trying to do that too with all the toxic food additives and constant vaccination programs.

Oh well,I hear the chocolate ration is going up nexy week.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
This is totally creepy. It's almost like cyber stalking.
And to think people will do it for FREE says a lot about them I guess.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

Made me laugh but if it was not true...

Correct me if I am wrong, but in Orwells 1984 it seems that people learned not to committ crimes outside...

So as here, who watches the watchers? In 1984...they put cameras in peoples homes...and also they had the thought police.

This may be next, cameras in homes. Of course if would most likely be volunteer at first.

See the related thread, about predictive behaviour and the internet.

They might single out the "abnormal" ones first.

If this was not real it would be funny...I can not even believe this!?

[edit on 7-10-2009 by burntheships]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
the problem is that soooo many people will do this for money... sooo many.

In England? Oh yes of course they will.

redneck UKers will look for muslims doing bad things
muslims will look at whites doing bad things
whites will look at blacks, blacks will look at whites
and so on and so forth

England is very cosmopolitan and........odd

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
the problem is that soooo many people will do this for money... sooo many.

In England? Oh yes of course they will.

redneck UKers will look for muslims doing bad things
muslims will look at whites doing bad things
whites will look at blacks, blacks will look at whites
and so on and so forth

OH you are so right...that makes this all the worse. It will be rife with racisim, predudice....A world of despots, that is what the Governments want...to pit us against one another!

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Simple solution:

Get a band of people together and loiter in front of the CCTV cameras and give off the appearance that something sinister is going on. If this is done enough, then the local law enforcement will grow tired of "shaking down" all of these law abiding citizens and the cameras will begin to be ignored.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Sounds good...though I bet soon they would make
it a crime to loiter...in front of the cameras...

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
this also has another impact on everyday life

if thousands of people have readily available access to monitor you, society there will be conditioned in being used to having ZERO privacy.

I mean there's already very little there now, soon there won't be any.
Is UK the guinea pig of the NWO?

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
reply to post by Aggie Man

Sounds good...though I bet soon they would make
it a crime to loiter...in front of the cameras...

Yes, but if the citizens (majority) despise theses cameras...then there is no stopping them...the jails would be full of loiters...talk about a waste of resources...the camera's would become a huge loss in the sense of cost/benefit. It would take quite a movement on behalf of the people, but the people certainly could bury this idea for good by committing to the cause. Just depends on how much people desire their "public privacy".

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join