It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foolish man, treads lightly.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

ABERDEEN, Wash. — A man walking from Texas to his hometown in Washington state has had a cross to bear for months.

James Strickland says he's been dragging a 12-foot cross from Longview, Texas, to his Aberdeen home since May.

The 39-year-old says he was praying about his troubled past when he received a message to start walking on a journey of renewal. He took along the cross, which rolls on wheels with his belongings tied near the bottom.

He expects to reach home Tuesday or Wednesday. Strickland says the trek has taken him through Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Utah and Idaho.

He says he hopes to reconcile with the mother of his two children.

Aberdeen police Capt. John Green told KXRO-AM that Strickland also has several misdemeanor warrants to clear up.

Misdemeanors and troubled past...

Do not need you to carry a cross across states...

Hopes of reconcile.

How about being a person... maybe an apology?

Not the 'poor me' approach.

Note the cross had wheels

I am troubled this man has heard a 'message' in which he fabricated the idea to take a cross, 12 foot, across states...

I guess i'm glad the voice didn't say "Building, Down, Next week, You do, For me".

It troubles me, that there is no ridicule in the article, that no one said, hey, this is not getting your point across.

You're no jesus!

Now be a man, and quit looking for pity.

Go do something, that shows what really matters, do something that really shows your apologies.

Help a homeless shelter, hell donate a dime!

Don't cut off your finger in an attempt to say, oh poor me, I should be forgiven now.

You cannot punch someone, then punch yourself and say "we're cool now right".

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Okay, this man is walking in the footprints of Jesus.

Let him walk and be blessed.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by spellbound
Okay, this man is walking in the footprints of Jesus.

Let him walk and be blessed.

Let him walk and be blessed, is all fine and good.

But really?

At least jesus claimed that he did it for the whole world, and went through a whole lot worse.

Supposedly at that.

This guy is doing it merely for pity, and moreso publicity.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   
I strongly disagree that the article's author should have "ridiculed" the man. It is not up to the author to tell me whether this is ridiculous or not. It is up to me to decide.

I will say, however, that the title of the article does appear to offer some ridicule. It described him as "foolish". How much more do you need?

Anyway, this man is apparently not altogether rational. He's got problems he doesn't know how to handle, and is hoping that God will fix it for him. Chances are, God is waiting for him to do his part, before He lends a hand. Or else, there is no God. In either case, walking around with a cross isn't likely to help you make peace with your ex.

At least the guy isn't violent. Remember, God told Bush to go bomb Iraq. It could be worse.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiron613
I strongly disagree that the article's author should have "ridiculed" the man. It is not up to the author to tell me whether this is ridiculous or not. It is up to me to decide.

I will say, however, that the title of the article does appear to offer some ridicule. It described him as "foolish". How much more do you need?

Anyway, this man is apparently not altogether rational. He's got problems he doesn't know how to handle, and is hoping that God will fix it for him. Chances are, God is waiting for him to do his part, before He lends a hand. Or else, there is no God. In either case, walking around with a cross isn't likely to help you make peace with your ex.

At least the guy isn't violent. Remember, God told Bush to go bomb Iraq. It could be worse.

If you be, same god said to destroy much more, from many others, don't cheap shot ole bush.

Umm foolish isn't a ridicule per se, just an assessment.

Lacking in judgement.

For fox, if it'd of been a different religion, I could place a sure bet, it'd of dealt a blow of ridicule.

You don't see fit, because (I assume at this) it's a belief you are apart of.

Um.... 'god' is waiting for him to do his part before he lends a hand?

WTF?

your god died 2,000 yrs ago, just so we didn't have to do much of anything, but just a little of saying, aha your real.

Why need be to carry crosses!

The guy is using clearly, a personal religious aspect, and a pity aspect for personal gain, and a false sense of accomplishment.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 05:29 AM
link   
When he arrives it would be delicious irony if his ex insists that she gets to hammer the nails in.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

Agreed. This action takes a lot of will. I'd say it's much more exemplary an apology than "I'm sorry, I'm sorry" honeymoon cycle.

When are people going to learn?

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtplacebo

It's an exercise of self pity, trying to influence the world.

It's despicable.

Actually trying to undo the wronging would say something, but mimicing a 'lord' for some, is despicable.

Proving oneself, isn't done in this manner.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Strange or weird maybe, but I don't see where the foolish comes in.

Why the need to criticize him? Walking that distance is quite a feat and if it helps him reach his goals, then more power to him.

Though if I wanted to walk a distance for renewal I'd probably do the Pacific Crest from Mexico to Canada with a backpack.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

But what good would you have done.

Other then bringing pity upon yourself.

People criticize those who cut their wrists.

And call them weak, or attention getters.

Does it change if they cut themselves with crucifix razorblades?

This guy is doing the same, many would dismiss as what I say.

But stand up, because a religious figure is in place.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
www.foxnews.com...

Misdemeanors and troubled past...

Just because people aquire misdemeanors, doesn't make them criminals...just a victim of a system of self serving manipulated manmade laws. I'm sure you can find thousands of examples of unjust instances

Do not need you to carry a cross across states...

Hopes of reconcile.

How about being a person... maybe an apology?

Not the 'poor me' approach.

Note the cross had wheels

Honestly, how do you know what was going on is his mind? If i was was feeling the "Poor Me" as you state, the last thing I would want to do is walk across multiple states which in itself is enough of a feat and you have the testicular frotitude to say "Note the cross had wheels".

Let's see you accomplish this then make a comment. And don't give me the lline that there's no need for you to as you never done anything wrong.

You ever think that for whatever reason this choice was made that maybe....just maybe it was about self discovery and may have just helped to create a better person?

I am troubled this man has heard a 'message' in which he fabricated the idea to take a cross, 12 foot, across states...

If you're troubled by this than you have bigger problems in life than he and shouldn't be pointing fingers and making accusations.

I guess i'm glad the voice didn't say "Building, Down, Next week, You do, For me".

It troubles me, that there is no ridicule in the article, that no one said, hey, this is not getting your point across.

Plenty from you alone. I'm sure there's a multitude of condemnation from others who share your sentiment.

You're no jesus!

Now be a man, and quit looking for pity.

Go do something, that shows what really matters, do something that really shows your apologies.

Help a homeless shelter, hell donate a dime!

He obviously would need to come to terms with himself before even the remote possibility of helping another.

Don't cut off your finger in an attempt to say, oh poor me, I should be forgiven now.

You cannot punch someone, then punch yourself and say "we're cool now right".

For starters it takes a bigger man to turn full circle from all the mistakes he made in his life and it's much harder and shows more character and strength than your average, luke warm person who has never ventured from their comfort zone.

To be honest the bigger problem in this world is from the condemnation by self righteous people and their snide comments such as yourself, who percieve themselves to be totally faultless and perfect in all they do in life. Seems the dillusion you believe is nothing more than a clouded judgment and when you fall from your cloud and are humbled, you're going to feel extremely humiliated. Until this happens you can and will NEVER understand what goes on in the mind of people.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Your going to make me stand up for what I've said.

Nonetheless, your approach isn't wrong at all.

You ever think that for whatever reason this choice was made that maybe....just maybe it was about self discovery and may have just helped to create a better person?

Self discovery can be made without announcing it to the public right?

If you're troubled by this than you have bigger problems in life than he and shouldn't be pointing fingers and making accusations.

I can point anything any which way. opposable thumbs my dear sir.

Anyone hearing voices should seek help.

Plenty from you alone. I'm sure there's a multitude of condemnation from others who share your sentiment.

Little from me really, many probably support this man undoubtedly.

For starters it takes a bigger man to turn full circle from all the mistakes he made in his life and it's much harder and shows more character and strength than your average, luke warm person who has never ventured from their comfort zone.

To be honest the bigger problem in this world is from the condemnation by self righteous people and their snide comments such as yourself, who percieve themselves to be totally faultless and perfect in all they do in life. Seems the dillusion you believe is nothing more than a clouded judgment and when you fall from your cloud and are humbled, you're going to feel extremely humiliated. Until this happens you can and will NEVER understand what goes on in the mind of people

My judgement is clear my dear sir.

I do not hold myself above a few.

I'm not perfect, and wish to be perfect.

I simply feel, going infront of the country, countries, to pour pity on yourself, is shameful.

And moreso using a religous figure to heighten it!

If I cheated on my girlfriend, I would tell her firstly.

Then judge from there.

If she didn't want me then, I would probably leave and accept that what I did, meant I wasn't good enough for her.

If still I persisted, I would prove it to her.Maybe, flowers everyday, maybe radio announcements everyday.

I wouldn't tantamount myself to jesus in pain wise for it!

That's an extremity, that need not be, a be not needed!

He is more trying to show that he deserves a pity, more then showing that he need a acknowledgement.

A true person, does it quietly and doesn't show anyone, but that person whom, they do love.

They keep it between one another, and doesn't boast about it, nor tantamount it to public in hopes of an 'urge', or pressure.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

This guy is doing it for Jesus.

He is doing it because he believes in Jesus. Good luck and blessings to him!

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Do you remember the movie, what was it called, The Davinci Code?

I think that is it,,,

When the man whipped himself with a belt occasionaly, did you not chuckle or do the sort.

You knew it was foolish.

That's how I see this.

Just a man spanking himself, hoping to get a forgiveness out of it.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
While I dont think it would have been necessary, if he believes it will cleanse him, it will. Its the belief in a procedure that makes a procedure effective. And some people are unwilling to believe in healing unless they go through great suffering. It would have been easier to just go an apologize, as you say.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Sorry, I disagree. This man is walking in the footsteps of Jesus.

And he should be admired.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Sorry, I disagree. This man is walking in the footsteps of Jesus.

And he should be admired.

I screwed around with a co worker...

Instead of getting on my knees and carrying crosses, I just got another lesser job.

I lost the job to be announced, so did the co worker.

I just can think of girlfriends i've left, and if they pulled stunts like this, I'd feel obliged to take them back, for sentimental purposes, but not for a real reason.

Savvy?

Like, i'd feel pressured too, not a real heartfelt reason too.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
While I dont think it would have been necessary, if he believes it will cleanse him, it will. Its the belief in a procedure that makes a procedure effective. And some people are unwilling to believe in healing unless they go through great suffering. It would have been easier to just go an apologize, as you say.

Homeopathy, I like to call it placebo.

Placebo, doesn't affect those with severe lung cancer.

The suffering this man should of gone through was the one in which he was brought, not some proposition in which he could evade it, and get the US to endorse.

Further pressuring the family to take him back for whatever reason.

My family hasn't taken me back, and cross nor death will bring it.

I accept that, and would I like to put pressure on them, or start 'torturing' myself, and putting the spot light on them for it! No, no I wouldn't!

It's mine to deal with!

Life sucks, and crosses, and torture doesn't heal wounds.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Maybe you should believe in Jesus?

Or be more attractive.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

Do you remember the movie, what was it called, The Davinci Code?

I think that is it,,,

When the man whipped himself with a belt occasionaly, did you not chuckle or do the sort.

You knew it was foolish.

That's how I see this.

Just a man spanking himself, hoping to get a forgiveness out of it.

You know that Da Vinci code is pure fiction and Dan Brown simply speak his personal opinions in that fictious way. Kind of propaganda book thats all.
But for the people like you presumably H. Hefner styled hedonism is the ideal in itself-really there are higher ideals, in the personal live and in the society...even if You dont believe in God.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join