It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Little Gun Control History

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Gun Control is still one of the most controversial issues facing this country. With many fearing, the collapse of the Economy, an unknown virus, Police States and the coming New World Order; one of the biggest concerns we have is how to protect ourselves while facing imenient uncertainty . Whether or not you are for or against Gun Control, you need to be informed in order to make an intelligent choice.

Here is a little history on Gun Control, and what has happened previously.

A Little Gun Control History

The Soviet Union established gun control in 1929.

From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Turkey established gun control In 1911.

From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Germany established gun control in 1938.

From 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.

China established gun control in 1935.

From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated

Guatemala established gun control in 1964.

From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Uganda established gun control in 1970.

From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Cambodia established gun control in 1956.

From 1975 to 1977, one million educated people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million.

It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their own Government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.

The first year results are now in:

Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent.

Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent.

Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent!

In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent. Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not, and criminals still possess their guns!

While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed.

There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the ELDERLY.

Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort, and expense was expended in successfully ridding Australian society of guns.

You won’t see this data on the US evening news, or hear politicians disseminating this information.

Don’t Let Our Government Waste Millions Of Our Tax Dollars In An Effort To Make All Law Abiding Citizens An Easy Target.

Switzerland issues every household a gun! Switzerland’s government trains every adult they issue a rifle. Switzerland has the lowest gun related crime rate of any civilized country in the world!!!

During WWII the Japanese decided not to invade America because they knew most Americans were ARMED!

Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property.

Gun-control laws adversely affect only the law-abiding citizens.

Take note my fellow Americans, before it’s too late! The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please remind them of this history lesson.

With guns, we are ‘citizens’.

Without them, we are ’subjects’.

I’m a firm believer of the 2nd Amendment!

link:onemansthoughts.wordpress.com...

I believe in my right to bear arms. As many have said "Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it"

This is one lesson we must not fail. If we surrender our 2nd Amendment right, then we might as well sign over our first born. At that point we will fail to have anything worth fighting for.

Now that you have a little background, where do you stand on this issue?

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Switzerland issues every household a gun! Switzerland’s government trains every adult they issue a rifle. Switzerland has the lowest gun related crime rate of any civilized country in the world!!!

Just so you know, our left-wingers are currently trying their darndest to ban guns from households.
Soldiers get to keep their service rifles at home, but this way has become increasingly unpopular in recent times as people started to misuse their rifles for the stupidest of reasons and usually with tragic result.
The rifle is currently still kept at home, but the soldiers aren't issued ammo anymore. If you pass the background check, it's no problem to get ammo in gunshops, but you don't get your free 50 rounds of 5,56x45 anymore.
I recently talked with a collector from Florida and he told me, that H. Clinton is organizing a campaign against Switzerland to pressure our politicians into issuing stronger gun laws. This way, the saying "look at Switzerland, it works there too" won't hold any longer. And seemingly, the pressure can already be felt, although not publicly but by the actions of some of our politicians.

People, I tell you, we live in interesting times and I'm pretty sure that we have to decide pretty much right about now how much our freedoms and rights are worth to us.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance, but lots of people have forgotten to pay their bills, lately. And now theres going to be hell to pay.

I know I'm on thin ice wit this, but:
Americans, the second amendment exists for a f***ing reason! It's your DUTY to insist on this amendment and to assert political pressure to anyone who wants to "infringe" on it!
Parts of the free world are still looking to you as a brilliant example of a free and open country, but the shine is starting to loose its light.
Make yourself heard.
Become the example again that the world needs so desperatly right now. And by that I don't mean monetary or military aid to foreign countries, but the very IDEA of freedom and self-reliance that you radiated to the whole world not so long ago.

End corruption, corporacracy and imperialism and SHINE as example as you used to.

Peace and all the best from Switzerland

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
S&F for OP.

I wasn't aware of the connection between gun control and atrocities, except for Nazi Germany. I knew that once they confiscated firearms, the citizens were basically helpless against the government.

There is a saying that the people should not be afraid of the government, but the government should be afraid of the people. I couldn't agree more.

In the US, we have many publicized rampages where one lone gunman kills dozens of people. This happens because the people are unarmed. If people were armed, someone would take out the shooter much sooner. All our gun laws don't prevent criminals from getting hold of weapons. They just render ordinary citizens defenseless.

There are always going to be misuses of firearms, and accidental shootings. That is happening even with gun control laws. It hasn't gotten any better. I believe that with less effort to control the guns, and more efforts to educate people (including kids) about the dangers of them, this could be reduced. Just because something is dangerous doesn't mean it shouldn't be used. You just need to respect what it can do.

BTW, I consider myself a "Liberal", but the notion of being unarmed is foreign to me. Gun control is the first step towards a fascist state, where atrocities can be freely committed against a helpless population. I don't know why gun control is considered a "liberal" idea. I mean, it is, but I can't fathom the reasoning behind it.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Thanks Pax! There's always room for a 2nd amendment thread. I believe all our amendments in the bill of rights are there for a good reason. I feel strongly that public schools should have MANDATORY firearms training. Many needless accidental shootings could be stopped from happening. Also, the irrational fears of many who have never handled a gun would be ameliorated. I also think our politicans would be more responsible if they knew that like Switzerland every American owned firearms. We would also need far less police as crime would drop dramtically. My parents are almost 80 years old and I pity the thug who would try to rob them - my mother packs a mean .40 caliber!

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
It appears that the Virginia ATS members get what's going on. Thank goodness. We must keep our second amendment at all costs. The Second Amendment protects Americans from overreaching state and local governments.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by paxnatus
Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort, and expense was expended in successfully ridding Australian society of guns.

Just for the record, I live in Oz and our society has not been deprived of firearms, just certain types of rapid fire automatic weapons have been severely restricted and special conditions placed on the ownership of permitted weapons mainly related to where and how they and their ammunition are stored. I could purchase a rifle or shotgun tomorrow and keep it in my home provided I met the conditions for storage and intended use (eg buy approved rifle & ammunition lockers and join the local rifle club). Handguns can also be purchased but the licensing requirements are much more strict, just as they always were for any firearm with a barrel under 9" long.

Still, in my part of Oz firearm related crime is extremely rare just as it was prior to the Port Arthur incident.

I understand the concerns of US residents when any mention is made of tighter gun control but if I needed to have an automatic weapon in my pocket at all times to feel safe, I'd be moving my family to someplace more serene.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Gun control means hitting what you aim at!!! lol
I think everyone should have a least one gun that is unregistered.
I also think that those of us with guns better be practicing with them because I really do fear we are going to need them soon

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
So glad to see that most of you agree!! We are out of time with this! This is not about politically ideology, but about our right to hold onto what is vital in preserving our country.

I do not understand anyone who would be in favor of Gun Control. If a person decides to perpetrate a crime, it will not matter whether a gun, knife, or pipe is used. A weapon will be chosen period. Not to come off cliche, but "where there is a will, there is a way."

We cannot allow our Govt. to make us sitting ducks, To exercise so much control over our lives that it strips us of our humaneness. Isn't the essence
of being human, free will and the ability to reason?

Gun Control is the same as crying "Uncle" and rolling over. Once we give, we are well on our way to fascism.

Thank you for your well thought out comments.

Pax

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I just got a call from the NRA just a few mins ago.

Apparently (previously unknown to me) the UN is trying to pass a law forcing the disarmament of the United States.

I couldn't find many sources on this but it's something coming straight from the NRA I guess.

Anyone know anything about this?

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Swordbeast

What good is a rifle without ammunition?
That defeats the whole purpose.

You guys have something good in switzerland, I encourage you to fight to keep it.

I wish the US was similar to to the swiss. Currently we have vast numbers of gun owners. But only a small number of them have actually training (This is vets, cops, and the people that paid thousands out of pocket to receive tactical training)

The reserve militia here (IE: Civilian men that are not enlisted in a branch of military) need to be trained properly.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Personally I could care less about their laws. I do not answer to a foreign power, and any senator dumb enough to allow them to force such laws here will quickly find himself in a situation that he does not want to be in.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

Its supposed to be our own PTB that are going to vote on it.

2nd line

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

That's wonderful.

I'm rather sick of all this disarmament talk.

A law like this won't hold up though. It would be struck down in the supreme court.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj

What good is a rifle without ammunition?
That defeats the whole purpose.

We still have yearly training terms and the shooting qualification at 300m. So the rifle will stay in our hands for the short term.
The ammo isn't given out anymore because some morons decided to go on shooting sprees and wipe out their families. Ammo can still be bought after the usual background check and stuff, it just isn't given home after the training terms.
We had our law adapted in December last tyear with the expressed goal that there won't be any unregistered firearms in private hands anymore.
Collecting actions have been organised by the police and local authorities where a whole lot of old (and sometimes quite valuable) firearms were handed over to the authorities. I hope they aren't going to destroy them. That would be a grievous blow to collectors.

The EU seems to want to abolish private gun ownership altogether. I suspect that illegal firearm trafficking, smuggling and dealing (mainly trough the balkans) will become a lot more popular in the short future, as the old saying holds still true. If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.
Too bad our do-gooders with their good intentions usually end up shooting into their own legs (pun intended and stuff...) when reality kicks in.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   

I've almost taken my foot off on accident. (in regards to the do gooders)
Fortunately it's a lesson I learned without being injured.

The EU does seem to get rid of guns in private hands. So do some politicians here in America. It's simply my opinion that the govt. has no right to monitor these things.

Some might see that as extreme.. but I've noticed a great trend. The more the govt. interferes, even for the good of society they tend to just make things worse.

As for the collectors thing.. It's happened here in America too. Nothing that was forced.. but in a gun buy back program (Where police and local govt. trade a small ammount of money if people turn in unwanted firearms).. One guy turned in an old german Luger from WW2.. which was appraised at several thousand US dollars.. And the collectors had an obligation to destroy it.

Being an enthusiast of historical firearms.. I could only shake my head.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Germany's gun control act of 38 is almost an exact wording of what ours is at the beginning..or visa versa...

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Ladies and Gentlemen,in the spirit of historicity, please allow me to present Madame Ngo Dinh's views on gun control:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e35ba696c95c.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 10/15/09 by silent thunder]

new topics

top topics

join