It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New, HUGE ring found around Satrun.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   

The new belt lies at the far reaches of the Saturnian system, with an orbit tilted 27 degrees from the main ring plane. The bulk of its material starts about six million kilometers (3.7 million miles) away from the planet and extends outward roughly another 12 million kilometers (7.4 million miles). One of Saturn's farthest moons, Phoebe, circles within the newfound ring, and is likely the source of its material. Saturn's newest halo is thick, too -- its vertical height is about 20 times the diameter of the planet. It would take about one billion Earths stacked together to fill the ring.

This is really cool stuff. They call it the Phoebe ring.

I bet Dr. Burns of Cornell is just yelling, "I told you so!" at his computer screen right now.

SOURCE: www.sciencedaily.com...

[edit on 10/6/2009 by Schmidt1989]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I cant believe I missed this! SD is on my bookmarks and is one of the many sites I visit on a daily basis.

I find this quite interesting. This could change some of our ideas of planetary system formation.

Just some speculation on my part here. I think it is quite possible that the Saturnian system could be a solar system within a solar system. I know this is an idea that has been looked into but the more we learn about this planet and is surrounding area and related effects of said area, the idea seems more plausible.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerbyCityLights
I cant believe I missed this! SD is on my bookmarks and is one of the many sites I visit on a daily basis.

I find this quite interesting. This could change some of our ideas of planetary system formation.

Just some speculation on my part here. I think it is quite possible that the Saturnian system could be a solar system within a solar system. I know this is an idea that has been looked into but the more we learn about this planet and is surrounding area and related effects of said area, the idea seems more plausible.

Interesting idea. I've never heard/thought about it before.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   
nice find! I cant believe we havent detected it yet with cassini. Too bad we cant see it from Earth as its near invisible.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   
This is just amazing

thanks for the link appreciated. Good find
star and flag

Ocker

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Schmidt1989

The solar system within a solar system theory is usually associated with the Jupiter system, however I find that the more we learn about Saturn and its ring formation (and the shepard moons) the more this idea begins to fit with the Saturnian system as well.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Edit: Sorry for the double post. Thats what I get for using my phone...

[edit on 7-10-2009 by DerbyCityLights]

top topics

join