It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lower 9 floating house unveiled

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Lower 9 floating house unveiled

www.wwltv.com

NEW ORLEANS – Part of Brad Pitt’s Make It Right Foundation, a new floating house was unveiled in the Lower 9th Ward, the neighborhood hit particularly hard during Hurricane Katrina, when a levee failure flooded the area to the rooftops of homes.

The home was unveiled at a ribbon-cutting attended by local officials, community members and designers. Designed by UCLA professor Thom Mayne, the home is the first floating house permitted in the United States.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Ok, these people's hearts are in the right place, but come on now...this will potentially create more problems than it solved. I can see it now. New Orleans gets hit again. This time, the houses float, so problem solves, right? I don't think so. Now we will have massive search and rescue extending who knows how far out into the ocean, as these areas flood and the houses are swept out to sea.

I think Brad Pitt's humanitarian efforts are commendable, but his humanitarian efforts and financing could have been better spent.

www.wwltv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6-10-2009 by Aggie Man]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

If you can engineer a home to float, you can engineer an anchoring system.

Just sayin.

[edit on 6-10-2009 by MrSmith]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrSmith
reply to post by Aggie Man

If you can engineer a home to float, you can engineer an anchor system.

Just sayin.

[edit on 6-10-2009 by MrSmith]

And trees never get uprooted during floods, right? It would have to be one hell of an anchoring job...and that's costly.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I do not think that it is bad idea. In Holland which is constantly in flood threat floating houses are already built (not in crazy numbers though). They do not make it into a boat. The idea is:

The hollow concrete pontoons that serve as foundations will be able to rise, guided up a pair of 15ft concrete piles, when the flood waters come. The clapboard superstructure, meanwhile, is light and boat-like. Flexible pipes and ducts are designed to ensure that water, gas and electricity supplies, and sewage disposal function even when the houses rise a whole storey.

www.guardian.co.uk...
So house will stay in the same spot. It will just rise when water levels rise and go down when it stops.
From article you used:

The base of the home, created by Mayne’s team from Morphosis Architects and graduate students from UCLA, in the event of a flood, “acts as a raft, allowing the house to rise vertically on guide posts, securely floating up to twelve feet as water levels rise,” said Virginia Miller from Morphosis.

this sounds like similar system. So kudos to architects and engineers, i think it is very creative solution. And relatively cheap one too.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

Ok, these people's hearts are in the right place, but come on now...this will potentially create more problems than it solved. I can see it now. New Orleans gets hit again. This time, the houses float, so problem solves, right? I don't think so. Now we will have massive search and rescue extending who knows how far out into the ocean, as these areas flood and the houses are swept out to sea.

I think Brad Pitt's humanitarian efforts are commendable, but his humanitarian efforts and financing could have been better spent.

The problem here is one nobody wants to face: New Orleans should never have been built there in the first place, for precisely this reason. Years before Katrina occured, people had already predicted that things would get wildly out of hand there, some people said the city would be under 30 feet of water, but nobody did anything.

The solution now isn't to rebuild.

It's to come together as a country, and move those residents elsewhere.

And if New Orleans must be rebuilt for symbolic reasons, rebuild it elsewhere.

But nobody will listen to this common sense, and this will not be done.

And then Katrina will be repeated again.

Sadly it may happen in alot of cities, here and around the world.

New Orleans is certainly not alone in being near the coast and below sea level.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by BaronVonGodzilla

My point exactly...although I didn't spell it out. The money would be better spent RELOCATING these people to safer areas and let the coastal marshes reclaim the area. Now that is responsible AND more cost efficient.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Flooding happens. Its almost unavoidable. So why would you build your house somewhere that is known to flood often? If you really want to live somewhere below the waterline then bring in som dirt before you build. Let the water go around you.
People that build on flood plains deserve to be floded out.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
THe moorings of these fantasy homes will eventually break under a heavy storm surge conditions. Something has to give with a 15 foot surge and a fixed anchor point. They are basically building these like floating docks that move up and down with the tides. It is a great concept under perfect conditions. What happens when these floating houses encounter stray boats, uprooted trees and massive amounts of floating debris.

Just a novelty.

New Orleans is a great town but it should not even exist naturally. You can't fight mother nature forever.

Anything built in this area should not be covered by insurance or federal flood insurance. You should not be able to insure against stupidity.

[edit on 7-10-2009 by jibeho]

[edit on 7-10-2009 by jibeho]

new topics

top topics

join