It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 Facts vs Predictions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   

2012 Facts vs Predictions

www.armageddononline.org

There's a lot of crazy theories floating around the internet right now : so what I've decided to do was compile a short Q&A about 2012 and what it may bring with it. Bear with me here boys and girls - it's a bit nutty

A film by Roland Emmerich - the director behind the disaster movies like "Independence Day: and "The Day After Tomorrow", is generating new interest in predictions of a major mishap to hit Earth December 21st, 2012 . The film aptly named "2012" relies on a set of disasters that force man to leave the planet in order to survive.

Evidence for the 2012 prediction is spotty at best, but it does center upon the end of the what is known as the long run of the Mayan calendar . Here we looks the risks that may face the Earth just a few years from now.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6-10-2009 by grover]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Now me personally I think the whole 2012 thing is a crock. I remember the whole new age harmonic convergence that was supposed to change everything on August 16 and 17 1987 and nothing happened. It too was supposed to be based on the Mayan calendar.

The Mayan civilization lasted about 500 years...Their calender was ritualistic in nature...it was mythic in nature like all ancient calenders. We do not even know...much less understand all of their myths to know how their calenders apply.

It was astronomical in nature and very accurate this is true but to try and understand it without the accompanying mythologies renders it obscure.

All the whole 2012 thing is a way for some people to make a buck off of the gullible.

I am not going to worry and plan on continuing my decades old tradition of sacrificing a virgin on the winter solstice to the old ones...

That is if I can find a virgin.

www.armageddononline.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
I am not going to worry and plan on continuing my decades old tradition of sacrificing a virgin on the winter solstice to the old ones...

That is if I can find a virgin.

Even if you do find one it probably isn't that helpful to bring the dawn of spring or whatever it is you're after, but then again all beliefs and religions must be respected, so, happy virgin hunting.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
i think we cannot state 2012 mayan prediction true or false..we can never do it so we might aswell wait and see...n the meantime i would like to remind that wayback in 1987 mayan literature was very obsucre..nowadays there have been massive dicoveries and we are actually able to read everything they wrote..thats how they come to understand more their calendar...i like their theory of an astrological clock...myself i find it so interesting that most of ancient cultures we so much intruiged by the constillations and I find myself that astrology is quiet amazingly correct most of the time...not Horoscope..characters..i read many sign of people i know and they are stunning

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I fully expect it to go the way of Y2K and other such boogie men.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

To be honest I will be surprised if we make it to 2012 without suffering massive losses in World War III.

I hope to be proven wrong, but it seems like we are on a collision course for war with Iran, and at that time, I think the rest of the world will be involved as well, and have already chosen their sides pretty decisively.

But even then, I don't know if the world will "end." It will just never again be anything like it once was. many millions will die, and at that point alot of NWO takeover stuff becomes real viable.

So I'd say we haven't got too long left. We should enjoy this world for all it's given us and all we've taken from it, and "seek closure."

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by BaronVonGodzilla

Nah if the prince of darkness and bush minor couldn't sell war with Iran I doubt Obama can.

The rhetoric was far more shrill then.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
My understanding is that the Mayans had no scary prophecies about what would happen in 2012; it's just that their calendar's cycle ends then. As far as I know, when you reach the end of the calendar cycle, you start a new cycle. In other words, it's not the end of the world or the end of some sort of way of life; it's just that their calendar runs out, and you have to go to the beginning.

We have something like that with our "perpetual" calendars. Those allow you to know the day of any date, from hundreds of years ago, to hundreds of years in the future. When they run ou, they aren't predicting anything. They've simply run the course of the math that allows you to make calendars in the first place.

My big question is why the Mayans would be any better at prophecy than anyone else, myself included. What makes them so special? Aside from some seriously undocumented claims about aliens, etc., I don't see them as any different from any other ancient people. So even if they have some prophecies, they have no greater claim to belief than any others.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I believe it's important for all of us to realize - that all we individuals do on this planet - especially in discussion forums, is express opinions.

Each one of us has had different experiences & researched different topics, which is what we get our opinions from.

No 2 people on Earth have had exactly the same experiences or researched the exact info as anyone else - so we all have different opinions.

It's important to realize when we post or publish anything. that we are only posting our opinions - which does not make it the ultimate proof (truth) that we think it is.

At least that is my opinion

[edit on 14-10-2009 by TEMPLAR1618]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by chiron613

The answer to the question you posed in paragraph3, in my opinion, can be found in Geoff Stray's recent book "Beyond 2012 Catastrophe or Transformation?"

The Maya were/are a unique culture in my opinion

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   
After everybody today dies, our descendants will anticipate the next popular thing which is 2112.

I've been anticipating for the End of all Things that has being prophesied since forever and I have been continuously let down. Save yourselves the anguish of disappointment that the world will continue on.

new topics

top topics

join