It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Aires admits he wrote "Dreams From My Father"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Then, unprompted he said--I wrote Dreams From My Father. I said, oh, so you admit it. He said--Michelle asked me to. I looked at him. He seemed eager. He's about my height, short. He went on to say--and if you can prove it, we can split the royalties. So I said, stop pulling my leg. Horrible thought. But he came again--I really wrote it, the wording was similar. I said I believe you probably heavily edited it. He said--I wrote it. I said--why would I believe you, you're a liar.

Link: Bill Ayers No Dream

This is really the first I have heard of Anne Leary, so I don't know how credible she is. She is certianly a conservative and could easily say Aires said anything, but who knows.

-E-

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysterE

Then, unprompted he said--I wrote Dreams From My Father. I said, oh, so you admit it. He said--Michelle asked me to. I looked at him. He seemed eager. He's about my height, short. He went on to say--and if you can prove it, we can split the royalties. So I said, stop pulling my leg. Horrible thought. But he came again--I really wrote it, the wording was similar. I said I believe you probably heavily edited it. He said--I wrote it. I said--why would I believe you, you're a liar.

Link: Bill Ayers No Dream

This is really the first I have heard of Anne Leary, so I don't know how credible she is. She is certianly a conservative and could easily say Aires said anything, but who knows.

-E-

Mighty big claims without mighty big proof can be mighty hard to swallow.

Also it's not a very unbiased source.

On one hand, that makes me not realy believe it. On the other hand, stranger things have happened, and people who are in the public eye use ghostwriters all the time. Any time you see a book that says it was written by SOME GUY (with some guy) well the second guy is the ghostwriter, and probably accounts for 95% of the book. I wouldn't be shocked to learn that Obama has done the same.

But for now, the proof is lacking. So I'd say, until further proof appears, nothing will come of this and it will blow over.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by BaronVonGodzilla

Agreed. His story goes: he's sitting in the Reagan library, some soldiers borrow a seat from his table, he sees Ayers, tells him he's a conservative blogger and will publish everything they talk about, then Ayers just blurts out he wrote "Dreams of My Father"? For no reason?

The story just doesn't make sense.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
This just came out.

'Yes, I wrote Dreams From My Father. I ghostwrote the whole thing. I met with the president three or four times, and then I wrote the entire book.'" He released National Journal's arm, and beamed in Marxist triumph. "And now I would like the royalties

From here: Ayers's 'Confession'

2 People in as many days that are claiming Bill Aires wrote the book

-E-

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
American Thinker article by Jack Cashill claims analysis of writing styles give very similar results Original article Oct 9, 2008 www.americanthinker.com...

Another more recently by Jack Cashill Sept 23, 2009
www.cashill.com...

The question does not seem to be completely resolved whether Obama wrote it or not.

[edit on 29-10-2009 by m khan]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
You have to wonder how much power these far left wackos have in the White House. I wonder how much of this Health Care Reform comes from the likes of Aires, Weight and the other comrades.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Even the greatest writers have readers who look at their material and offer comments as they write, as well as an editor who serves as mentor, coach, proofreader and shaper of the final product. No good author writes in a vacuum.

Barack Obama has advanced degrees and has taught Constitutional law at the University of Chicago. He was an academic. Most academics can write --most very well. It is not a mystery that he could produce works like "Dreams From My Father" and "The Audacity of Hope." Even the most mediocre professor has at least one book and numerous articles in his or her resume.

Bill Ayers may or may not have provided some input on the book. I tend to think not, as there was never a close relationship between him and Obama.

Ultra-conservatives and reactionaries just want to connect Obama to the radical left at every opportunity. Unlike themselves, who apparently never even speak or have contact with anyone who is not of their own political persuasion (and imagine that this isolation is a virtue) Obama has colleagues and associates at all points in the political spectrum. This, in my opinion, is one of his greatest strengths.

When all is said and done, I would be disappointed if it turned out that someone--Bill Ayers or anyone else--ghost wrote his book entirely. But it doesn't surprise me that he received advice from his editor and got feedback on his early drafts. Every writer does that.

BTW: If Ayers is supposed to be in such a close relationship with Obama, why would he tell a not-very-famous right wing journalist all of Obama's secrets in some airport, just like that? He would certainly realize that he was doing harm to his friend. Doesn't compute.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Like just about everyone has knows Ayers ghosted the book for Obama. Part of the long set up to turn him into an iconic figure. The writing style is very obviously his, analysis based on things like word usage and other tics confirmed it.

Obama was editor of the Law School Review. Never wrote an article for it - highly unusual. His volume is the one least in demand by students.

Just as Obama ducked out of his seat whenever critical legislation were being discussed and never presented a Bill himself.

Obama is bright and a good talker. Doubt he's any good at writing.

Would make a good salesman. Not presidential material, I'm afraid. A front man anyway, as was planned back in the 90s.

Mike

new topics

top topics

join