It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rush for Rams? Limbaugh bids for NFL team

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   

. LOUIS (AP)—The lowly Rams have someone who loves them.

Conservative talk radio host Rush Limbaugh said Tuesday he is teaming up with St. Louis Blues owner Dave Checketts in a bid to buy the Rams, owners of the NFL’s longest losing streak at 14 and just 5-31 since 2007.

In a statement, Limbaugh declined to discuss details, citing a confidentiality agreement with Goldman Sachs, the investment firm hired by the family of former Rams owner Georgia Frontiere to review assets of her estate, including the NFL team.

Limbaugh also declined to discuss other partners that might be involved in the bid, but said he and Checketts would operate the team.

ca.sports.yahoo.com...

Couldn't believe this when I read it. He must be hurting if he can afford to buy an NFL team. Good to see he doesn't mind playing with GOLDMAN SACHS either.

I just thought I'd point this out. Amazing.

I wonder if he'll have a black quarterback if he's an owner? Can you imagine him being a Jerry Jones like owner of an NFL team? That's crazy. The whole team will be white!

I wonder if he'll bash Goldman Sachs ever again!

Mods could you fix link...not posting correctly...you can find the article in yahoo sports for those who need to see it.

[edit on 6-10-2009 by David9176]
Mod edit: fixed link

[edit on 7-10-2009 by GAOTU789]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
If the man can afford to buy the team and wants to then it is fine with me. I am not sure where you get all of this stuff about him having an all white team. Last time I checked Rush wasn't a white supremicist, just a conservative, but I guess some of you think being against the Liberal agenda makes a person racist.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by StinkyFeet
If the man can afford to buy the team and wants to then it is fine with me. I am not sure where you get all of this stuff about him having an all white team. Last time I checked Rush wasn't a white supremicist, just a conservative, but I guess some of you think being against the Liberal agenda makes a person racist.

He's ploying on the fact that Limbaugh got fired from Monday Night Football for saying Donovan McNabb (I think it was) was only hyped by the media because he's a black quarterback. Whether he had a valid point or not Rush has so many enemies who complained MNF let him go.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by StinkyFeet

I stated that because of his comments on Donovan McNabb a few years ago when he was doing MNF.

He talks about elites and rips on them...but he's one himself.

Hypocrisy. The reason I mention Goldman Sachs is because Obama...as well as McCain...received truckloads of cash from them...Obama received the most.

Let's see if ol" RUSHBO will ever attack GS if he gets this team...

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Oh so that makes him racist because he recognized the fact that Donovan McNabb happens to be black? Damn, I must be racist too then.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
If he's successful in purchasing the team, does this mean the Rams' players will have access to all the hillbilly heroin they want?

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SphinxMontreal

I don't really know. When Michael Vick was rehired by the Eagles did that mean they started eating dead dog for the team meals?

By the way, I know that Vick statement is ridiculous, but meant to be so to point out the ridiculousness of the Rams poping oxy-contin, just because Rush might buy them.

[edit on 6-10-2009 by StinkyFeet]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I heard that IF he is successful in his bid, then he will change the name of the team to the St. Louis Racists.

OR the St. Louis Republicans....with a roster full of out of shape, beyond their prime white men.

[edit on 6-10-2009 by Aggie Man]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

So I guess you have never said anything that could be construed as racism before. I am sure as much as Rush talks, if we was trully racist he would have slipped up a lot more and a lot worse.

A person could also see his remarks as being anti-racist. Because yes it is racist to say something negative about a particular person based on race, but it is also racist to praise them for things they should be doing anyway, just because they are black. It is like praising a black man for being a good father, just because he stuck around, because you are racist in thinking black men usually abandon their kids.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
He has been saying racist things long before Obama came along. He got fired from CSPAN on his first day for some off color remarks about the only reason a certain player was on the team was because he was black.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Iv said this before and I'll say it again. Rush is merely a talking head appealing to what his viewers want to hear. Because of this fact he doesnt have to be honest in what he says and he can be as hypocritical as ever. So long as he tells his sheep what they want to hear, its all dandy.

Same with many other talking heads in media. Dont expect them to fact check before they open their mouths. Dont expect them to be consistant in their beliefs. They are there to entertain and to cater to beliefs regardless of facts.

Nice find though....

Hopefully this is a reminder of this fact. These guys talk for profit and entertainment, not for the truth.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Rush will fail miserably as a Rams owner.

Half the country views Rush as racist, even though I have yet seen an example of what Rush said or did that was racist. Oh wait, disagreeing with Obama is the new definition of racism, my bad....

There will be quality players that have a political bent in opposition with Rush which will affect the roster. I am sure there are a lot of Obama loving NFL players that will refuse to play for the Rams for this reason.

Football, or sports in general, is not politics. I really hate when the two mix. I know for a fact there are a lot like me who feel the same. It is as bad as Hollywood getting involved in politics. Rush Limbaugh owning the Rams is a horrible mistake, especially to those who feel that sports is meant to be an escape.

Besides, the Rams suck enough, I hope Rush does not make it worse for them.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
The man can do with his money what he wants.

If he wants to buy the team then let him. Doesn't really matter who he goes through to do it.

But I understand the reasoning behind this thread, it is to bash Rush. I will now leave you to it.

Have fun.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   

I wonder if he'll have a black quarterback if he's an owner? Can you imagine him being a Jerry Jones like owner of an NFL team? That's crazy. The whole team will be white!

I'm constantly amazed at how many of you are completely mislead by the media when it comes to Rush. Why would Rush have an all white team? If you're talking about his comment about the black quarterback, why weren't other host on ESPN fired for saying the same things, including black guys? In typical fashion, Rush's words were twisted to attack him. It happens over and over again, but nobody ever has to apologize for being wrong.

Rush Limbaugh is no racist.

reply to post by grover

He has been saying racist things long before Obama came along. He got fired from CSPAN on his first day for some off color remarks about the only reason a certain player was on the team was because he was black.

No he hasn't. You either don't listen, or rely on partisan hacks to tell you what he said and they constantly lie. I mean, you get the facts wrong and its already been talked about in this thread! He wasn't on CSPAN, he was on ESPN. Rush has lots of enemies that look for any chance to attack him and thats what happened here. Other ESPN hosts made the same observation, but it wasn't racist wen they said it. Can you explain that?

Whats racist about saying the media was giving Mcnabb leeway, because they wanted to see more black quarterbacks? I remember when they wanted more black coaches. Was that racist too? Why weren't other ESPN hosts fired for saying the exact same thing Rush did?

The problem with guys like you is that you're reactionary. You don't think at all on your own, but rather what other people tell you to think.

[edit on 7-10-2009 by Wimbly]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Rush has a gig that pays him very well to be controversial. He's the news equivalent of professional wrestling. Everyone knows he says a lot of things just for the reaction, that's his whole schtick.

And it's made him wealthy enough to be able to consider buying an NFL team. For that kind of jack, I'd say stupid inflammatory stuff too.

He can't do much worse as a owner than the current owners. Or the guy who owns the Tampa Bay Bucks (and Manchester United).

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
More power to him. He's certainly got the money, and who knows maybe he'll move 'em back to LA where they belong... You know, a NFC West team in the West? As shocking as that would be.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wimbly
The problem with guys like you is that you're reactionary. You don't think at all on your own, but rather what other people tell you to think.
[edit on 7-10-2009 by Wimbly]

Coming from you that is extremely funny.

More to the point:

newsone.com...

1. I mean, let’s face it, we didn’t have slavery in this country for over 100 years because it was a bad thing. Quite the opposite: slavery built the South. I’m not saying we should bring it back; I’m just saying it had its merits. For one thing, the streets were safer after dark.

2. You know who deserves a posthumous Medal of Honor? James Earl Ray [the confessed assassin of Martin Luther King]. We miss you, James. Godspeed.

3. Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?

4. Right. So you go into Darfur and you go into South Africa, you get rid of the white government there. You put sanctions on them. You stand behind Nelson Mandela — who was bankrolled by communists for a time, had the support of certain communist leaders. You go to Ethiopia. You do the same thing.

5. Look, let me put it to you this way: the NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons. There, I said it.

6. The NAACP should have riot rehearsal. They should get a liquor store and practice robberies.

7. They’re 12 percent of the population. Who the hell cares?

8. Take that bone out of your nose and call me back(to an African American female caller).

9. I think the media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. They’re interested in black coaches and black quarterbacks doing well. I think there’s a little hope invested in McNabb and he got a lot of credit for the performance of his team that he really didn’t deserve.

10. Limbaugh attacks on Obama. Limbaugh has called Obama a ‘halfrican American’ has said that Obama was not black but Arab because Kenya is an Arab region, even though Arabs are less than one percent of Kenya. Since mainstream America has become more accepting of African-Americans, Limbaugh has decided to play against its new racial fears, Arabs and Muslims. Despite the fact Obama graduated magna cum laude from Harvard Law school, Limbaugh has called him an ‘affirmative action candidate.’ Limbaugh even has repeatedly played a song on his radio show ‘Barack the Magic Negro’ using an antiquated Jim Crow era term for black a man who many Americans are supporting for president. Way to go Rush.

Need I go on. He is a pig.

[edit on 7-10-2009 by grover]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
First order of bussiness for Rush would be...no BLACK, LATINO or SAMOAN players allowed!!...and the Rams already suck as it is!

In all honesty I dont have a thing against Rush (I trult think he is a genius!!!), he is what he is, an entertainer, he is no journalist, he is a man that gets paid a good amount of money to say the things that many people think and are scared to say.

He is the blanket upon which many racist people in this country hides behind, more power to him for finding a way of making money out of that.

But I dont think there would be a chance in hell that the NFL will approved this sale, the NFL is about making money and this is not a making money move, it will be bring more baggage than its really worth.

[edit on 7-10-2009 by Bunch]

[edit on 7-10-2009 by Bunch]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I'm no particular fan of Rush, and I'm sure not his apologist. But to be fair, this particular quote-

Originally posted by grover
2. You know who deserves a posthumous Medal of Honor? James Earl Ray [the confessed assassin of Martin Luther King]. We miss you, James. Godspeed.

has been disputed enough that I personally doubt very much its authenticity.

He's said a lot of inflammatory things and he's high profile. Which by definition makes him an easy target. I hope we can further endeavor to counter inaccuracy when we see it, regardless of the "side" being negatively impacted. The other stuff I'm not going to bother going into. Some of it is accurate enough, some of it is misrepresentation. But this one is so over the top disgusting I just couldn't sit by and let it go without addressing it.

There are plenty of reasons to not care for Rush. This is one of those things that went viral after it was invented, and he's a polarizing enough figure that plenty of people are prepared to believe it. You all know the drill - repeat a lie often enough...

Anyway, I hope St Louis can keep an NFL team. St Louis is one of the all time great sports cities but their NFL franchises have been plagued by some of the worst ownership in sports.

As for downright despicable owners in sports, anybody remember Marge Schott?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I just saw this interesting bit of information:

If Rush Limbaugh becomes part-owner of the St. Louis Rams -- which I'm told is not even close to happening right now -- he may want to do something about the organization's political leanings. According to politico.com, no NFL team in the past 20 years has donated more money to the Democratic Party than the Rams. Politico reported in September that the Rams had given $230,050 to the Democrats, or 98 percent of the franchise's total political donations. That would mean that in 20 years, the Rams have given about $4,600 to Republicans. That's not even enough for a 30-second spot on Limbaugh's national radio show.

SOURCE: sportsillustrated.cnn.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join