It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pluto, Sponsored By McDonalds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Pluto, Sponsored By McDonalds

blogs.discovery.com

You didn't really think the Pluto "debate" had gone away did you? Actually, this time it's not an angry plutonite, confused astronomer or the governor of Illinois causing a stir, it's the fast-food behemoth McDonalds that has sparked some low-key controversy in the UK.

This is a good one.

According to The Register, in an effort to get kids more interested in cooking for themselves, McDonalds has produced a series of fun facts printed on the side of their Happy Meal boxes. I'm not sure how McDonalds can possibly promote home cooked meals by printing games on their cardboard dinners,
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I saw this and laughed a little, until I got to the bottom of the article.

The Register even went so far as accusing McDonalds of spreading "U.S. scientific propaganda" -- a little strong don't you think? As far as I can tell, the US has pretty much accepted dwarf planet Pluto in it's new classification.

So, the US, among it's many other propaganda campaigns, is trying to lobby for Pluto as a planet? This is just ridiculous. It is also sad that this is intended to be a learning tool for kids (yeah right). We already knew McDonalds food is not healthy. Now we know that their research efforts are ill as well. Lesson learned: Stay away from McDonalds AND The Register

blogs.discovery.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
The Register is way off base! McDonald's is one fo the last bastions of true American scientific knowledge. If they say there are 9 planets, then there are 9!

/sarcasm

Wow, just wow. Probably a marketing exec who wasn't paying attention when they made the design.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I will eat Mc Donald's knowing that all those who who are not eating it because "it's fast food" miss out.

we're not living in 1980's, in my country atleast they get all there ingredients from trusted sources, and the food tastes the same if not better then united states.

^it'll not hurt you or make a difference, the food is food, processed meat with processed cheese with farm caged eggs, its bloody food so enjoy it you slaves.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
"Wrong, most people in the US have NOT accepted the IAU definition, at least the part that says dwarf planets are not planets at all. It is the IAU that is imposing its eight-planet propaganda on the whole world and asking everyone to blindly accept a flawed definition adopted by only four percent of its members, most of whom are not planetary scientists, in a process that violated its own bylaws. In fact, hundreds of professional astronomers led by Dr. Alan Stern, Principal Investigator of NASA's New Horizons mission to Pluto, immediately responded with a formal petition rejecting the IAU definition.

McDonald's representatives have admitted they know about the controversy. What the Register refuses to recognize is that they chose NOT to accept the IAU definition. Interestingly, it's the supporters of Pluto's planet status who publicly admit the matter is still up for debate. The IAU and Mike Brown have done everything possible to suppress all debate, claiming the issue is settled when it clearly is not.

There is nothing wrong with the solar system being crowded with planets. It's hard to imagine any scientific justification for artificially narrowing the number of planets just because having "too many" is inconvenient for some people.

According to Stern and like-minded scientists, a planet is a non-self-luminous spherical body orbiting a star. The spherical part is important because it means an object is in large enough to be shaped by its own gravity, a state known as hydrostatic equilibrium and characteristic of planets, not of shapeless asteroids. This definition gives our solar system 13 planets: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Ceres, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto, Haumea, Makemake, and Eris.

In short, there IS still a very real debate over the status of Pluto.

Posted by: Laurel Kornfeld | October 06, 2009 at 06:05 PM"

I don't know much about this debate and I don't know if this counts as crossposting, but it's from the OP's own link's comments, so I don't see why it would be unacceptable to mention. But of course, if it is, I'd gladly remove it so please don't take away what few remaining ATS points I have left

Anyway I think she brings up alot of great points, and it shows that not everyone is in agreement about what a planet is or isn.t Some think there are 8 planets and some think 13? Seems we need to do alot more work about planets here on our own planet before we try and actually travel to any of them.

In fact, we need to clean house so to speak and clean up our planet, but that's neither here nor there.

But I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Pluto, since it was discovered so recently by an American in 1930 I believe if my memory serves.

And ever since I was in school, I was always taught it was a planet. He's the little underdog of our solar system, all cold and frigid and lonely, but still struggling to hang in there and not become detatched and drift aimlessly into the black abyssal maw of oblivion.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Pluto isn't a major planet. It never was, and it never will be. However, planetary status has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with whether an object is interesting or not. In fact, Pluto is one of the most fascinating worlds in the Solar System. It has at least three moons, one of which (Charon) is half the diameter of the planet itself.

I expect the New Horizons spacecraft to discover lots of interesting things about the Pluto system (including possibly more moons) when it arrives in July 2015.

new topics

top topics

join