It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Majority in U.S. Would Back Attack to Prevent Iran Nuclear Bomb

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
www.bloomberg.com...

Oct. 6 (Bloomberg) -- A majority of Americans are skeptical that diplomacy with Iran will succeed and say the U.S. should use military action if necessary to prevent the Iranian government from developing a nuclear weapon.

A Pew Research Center for the People & the Press survey released today found 61 percent of Americans would support a military strike. Twenty-four percent said it is more important to avoid conflict even if that means Iran will end up building nuclear arms.

The survey by the Washington-based group found 63 percent support direct U.S. negotiations with Iran to push the country to abandon its nuclear program. Still, 64 percent said such efforts won’t succeed. The poll was conducted last week, when Iran held talks with the U.S. and other United Nations powers and agreed to widen discussions on the nuclear dispute.

The U.S. and its European allies are concerned that Iran is making headway on acquiring the capability to build a nuclear weapon. Iran told UN nuclear inspectors last month that it is building an underground nuclear-fuel plant, a facility that the U.S., Britain and France said was a secret site.

During an Oct. 1 meeting that took place near Geneva with the U.S., other members of the UN Security Council and Germany, Iran agreed to allow an inspection of the new enrichment facility outside Tehran. The country also agreed to meet with negotiators for the U.S. and other UN members later this month.

The talks were dubbed a “constructive beginning” by President Barack Obama, who urged the Iranian government to follow it with “constructive action.” Speaking at the White House on Oct. 1, Obama said negotiations over Iranian nuclear development can’t go on indefinitely and the U.S. is ready to pressure Iran if the government isn’t responsive.

Iranian Disclosures

Defense Secretary Robert Gates signaled yesterday that Iran has other nuclear facilities to disclose in order to make progress in talks with the U.S. and its European allies.

The U.S. negotiating position depends on “what nuclear sites they’d be prepared to be transparent about that have not been declared at this point,” Gates said at a forum with Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Gates has expressed skepticism about the value of an attack. “There is no military option that does anything but buy time,” he said last month.

In the Pew survey, while 78 percent said they would approve of tougher economic sanctions on Iran, 56 percent said they didn’t expect the measures would persuade Iran to drop its nuclear program. The poll was conducted Sept. 30-Oct. 4 among 1,500 adults, with an error margin of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

Sanctions Hearing

The Senate Banking Committee held a hearing today to discuss possible new sanctions on Iran. The committee’s chairman, Democrat Christopher Dodd of Connecticut, said he would push for comprehensive sanctions legislation this month that would impose penalties on companies that support Iran’s import of refined petroleum products.

A top energy official in the Persian Gulf nation said today that Iran can circumvent any gasoline sanctions the U.S. imposes over its nuclear program by tapping fuel reserves and by switching suppliers.

“If for any reason we are short of gasoline, we will move from one region to another, from one refinery to another,” said Hojatollah Ghanimifard, vice president for investment affairs at the National Iranian Oil Co.

Well there it is, the public support is there - 61% in favour. I'm actually surprised it's that high, I thought it would be at the most in the low 50's.

I wonder why Iran needed 4 weeks altogether before allowing inspection of this newer facility. Nothing to hide indeed!

I reckon when somebody gives the IAEA a kick up the ass, they will have to release their withheld report giving the evidence of the existence of the other facilities - most likely warhead facilities.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
No surprise here. Americans are a bunch of warmongers. I would expect nothing less than this. American's have forgotten the value in the art of diplomacy and have lost confidence in diplomatic processes. America is a "I want it now" society...and diplomacy doesn't usually produce immediate results...but Americans (generalizing) see dropping bombs and occupying countries as immediate...When in reality is is a drawn out process that has a much higher cost in the end.

Just my 2-cents

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Polls are like Mother Inlaws.....Manipulative B**thes with thier own agenda....
I just took a poll and found that 90% of people are Sheeple and believe in polls, 10% Don't and 10% don't know what a percentage is...LOL.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
The Art of Diplomacy is nothing more than lying at the highest level of governments, and with the greatest honed abilities for deceit.

So Diplomacy should work withing an hour.

Anything more among honest men, and you just lost.

The US is a warmaking people?

Yep. When it becomes clear that peaceful means are getting nowhere, it's time to bust some heads.

Our problem is we're too nice to do a thorough job.

So let's just wait until we take another hit, and then we can justifiably do it up right.

Mass destruction.

Really takes the starch out of the short of your enemy.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

Honestly, who cares what the American people think about this. I will care what the American people think about going to war when they are going to be going to war against each other.

I honestly believe the American have absolutely no say in what goes on in another country. You all tell everyone else to butt out of YOUR business. Well take your own advice. No one really cares what you people think on foreign affairs. You have shown the past 9 years that cannot be trusted and will make complete mess of things.

You should be the last group of people on earth consulted about who gets attacked.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
This is one American that does not want America involved!

I say let them drop the nuclear bombs they have on each other, I don't give a crap.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I am not surprised at this.

Subtlety is not in the American vocabulary.

It's go in, all guns blazing.

DESTORY! KILL! BOMB THEM BACK TO THE STONE AGE!!!

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rook1545
reply to post by dooper

Honestly, who cares what the American people think about this. I will care what the American people think about going to war when they are going to be going to war against each other.

I honestly believe the American have absolutely no say in what goes on in another country. You all tell everyone else to butt out of YOUR business. Well take your own advice. No one really cares what you people think on foreign affairs. You have shown the past 9 years that cannot be trusted and will make complete mess of things.

You should be the last group of people on earth consulted about who gets attacked.

I agree, leave America out of it, and let the other countries take care of themselves. It is None Of Our Business who is doing what to who in another country!

And John 124, Don't believe everything you read. You have to remember that the U.S. media is in the Corporate America pockets. NOT The Peoples!

[edit on 6-10-2009 by Iseekthetruth!!!!!!!!]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I say we just let Israel take the kid gloves off. Them boys can handle themselves and it wouldnt be the first time they did a strike on Iran. I dont see why we should even be involved. Its pretty simple to me, sell Israel the weapons for offensive/defensive moves and let them go to town if they feel threatened (which they should feel with the way the wacos over there talk about them).

Im willin to bet that they could get it done faster and alot smoother than we ever could. We wouldnt even have to be involved unless they asked for our help and they had their backs up against a wall.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Sure. Let's do it. I want to see how invading this country will be spun into a great thing for everyone since it'll be the Big-O's war. I want to see all of those outlets and pundits who berated one president for invading one country praise another president for invading a different country.

The best part about this invasion is we dont have to find anything to justify it. Bush's mistake was claiming there were weapons in Iraq. Obama learned from that so the claim now is invade to prevent weapons being in Iran.

Lets invade everyone. Bailout a few more corporations. Make the dollar absolutely worthless. I want to see this version of America ripped to shreds. Been waiting 30+ years for this. Dont let me down now.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Well I for one, am an American that does not believe we need to go into Iran. Right now the country and military is stuck in Iraq and Afganistan, does America need to open up a third war in the middle east? And I would put good money on the table that Iran would goad the US into being the one to fire first to give them justification to go to their allies in China and Russia for support and then we would be going against both of those countries, as well as, all of their other allies. I also believe that the only reason why Iran is starting problems now, is because they know that the US military is stuck in 2 seperate actions at this time frame and any one who has studied military warfare can tell you a third front would be the worst thing to do, as it would stretch the US military assets thinner and thinner leaving the country vulenable to attacks from outside forces. We have enough problems right now and I am in favor of a more diplomatic options. Sides Iran is using the time to remove all incriminating evidence and shipping it elsewhere.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
War is money. Money makes the world go round. I suggest investing in the defense industry. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. We have a mercenary army, albeit an underpaid one, so what's the problem. The boy's are already there. Iran's been a thorn in everyones side since the Shah was deposed. I'm surprised we haven't done it sooner. Sound's like a go project.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I have an idea... let's have another poll and ask Americans if they support an attack on Iran if gas will cost $25/gal, we will be at war in the Middle East for at least ten years at a cost of $2.5B a year (minimum) and we'll likely need a draft to reach our manpower needs. Oh, and that any chance of an economic recovery (and subsequent relaxing of unemployment) will be indefinitley on-hold.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Oh goodie! two weeks of surprisingly unshocking and non-awe inspiring "shock and awe" followed by putting in ground troops way too soon, leading into several years of "play nice" warfare.

Honestly, if we fought wars like they were intended to be fought... to WIN and claim the spoils of war, I'd be all for it. Seeing as how we've turned war into more of a kumbaya festival followed up with the US tax payers footing the bill to rebuild the enemies nation, I say NO! No more tax payer dollars spent on the mockery known as modern war. We don't have it. We're tapped out.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

Between the people who think high gas prices will make for a cleaner environment, the people who have no problem tossing billions into bottomless pits and love their taxation, the unemployed who would see war as an employment boon and the rest of the idiots who think "they'll draft some other guy" I'd be surprised if it didnt work out to 'majority support.'

Really though, it's not like there is any period in the last half century where the U.S. hasnt been involved in some conflict, wasting billions of dollars or paying other nations too much for something it could be producing for less at home.

Maybe the conflicts weren't on the nightly news and the waste wasnt so obvious but all America has been since the late 1700's is waste and war.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Excuse me, but, but, is 4 adults in my immediately family without counting the extended family back home in PR and none of us where part of any polls for this.

So who are the ones that were polled for this attacks? because it wasn't anybody in my neighborhood either here in Ga.

What a joke, when the media uses fictions polls to support what the government and interest groups wants.

I got it they polled all the warmongers and sympathizers that will gain profits with another war in the middle east.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Personally I am pretty sick of bombing people into the stone age.

I was a huge warhawk after 9/11 but then when the body bags started coming home, the WMDs weren't found, Al Qaeda turned out to be unrelated to Iraq, etc. it just made me sick.

Team America World Police is a fallacy. Bring our troops home. The DEFENSE Department should be the DEFENSE Department.

Take all this cash we are using prosecuting our agenda around the world and start HELPING people.

Iran is not a large-scale, immediate threat to us. Let Israel handle their business.

Just my thoughts.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

Oh, but don't you dare say that, "to let the Israelis deal with their problems" because that is call antisemitism.

In another note I think the polled Israel sympathizers in the US and that is how they got the poll in favor for American to bomb Iran.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I agree marg. I wasn't asked to take this poll nor was anyone I know. I personally only know of one person that would have said yes to this and that's only because he wants to kill everyone.

I bet if someone was to take a camera out and actually play the unedited footage of asking Americans walking down the street this question they would also say no to attacking Iran more than they would say yes. It's only the ones that swear by the MSM that will say yes, but they do so out of sheer ignorance.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Results for this survey are based on telephone interviews conducted under the direction of Abt/SRBI Inc. among a nationwide sample of 1,500 adults, 18 years of age or older, from September 30-October 4, 2009 (1125 respondents were interviewed on a landline telephone, and 375 were interviewed on a cell phone, including 141 who had no landline telephone). Both the landline and cell phone samples were provided by Survey Sampling International. Interviews were conducted in English. For detailed information about our survey methodology, see people-press.org...

Source: people-press.org...

Oh and just a little fact checking on the source of poll raises some questions.

The Pew Research Center for the People & the Press is one of seven projects that make up the Pew Research Center. The Center is supported by The Pew Charitable Trusts.

Meaning The PEW Research Centre is funded and controlled by The Pew Charitable Trust. Now the question arises who runs The Pew Charitable Trust. Let's have a brief look:

History

The Pew Charitable Trusts, an independent nonprofit, is the sole beneficiary of seven individual charitable funds established between 1948 and 1979 by two sons and two daughters of Sun Oil Company founder Joseph N. Pew and his wife, Mary Anderson Pew.

From its first day in 1948, Pew’s founders steeped the new institution with the entrepreneurial and optimistic spirit that characterized their lives.

Source: www.pewtrusts.org...

Sun Oil Company also known as SUNOCO
en.wikipedia.org...
Aha!! what's this..

Sunoco (NYSE: SUN) is an American petroleum and petrochemical manufacturer headquartered in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States, formerly known as Sun Company Inc. (1886-1920 and 1976-1998) and Sun Oil Co. (1920-1976).

In Canada, Sunoco is operated by Suncor Energy, a separate Canadian entity. Sunoco is a Fortune 100 Company. It is also the biggest company based in Philadelphia and the 2nd biggest in Pennsylvania behind AmerisourceBergen. Its headquarters are located in the BNY Mellon Center in Center City Philadelphia.[2]

So basically an Oil Company is running a poll which says Majorty of American Citizens would back to attack Iran.

Oh' wait a sec. they are even Original Concession Holders in Petrolium company in UAE.

UAE:
Original Concession Holders:

Union Oil Co., venture of Union Oil Co. and Southern Natural Gas Co.

Abu Dhabi Marine Areas Ltd., BP, CFP, Continental

Dubai Marine Areas Ltd., Continental Oil, BP, CFP, Deutche Erdol AG, Sun Oil Co.

Phillips-AGIP-Aminoil, joint venture of Phillips, AGIP, and Aminoil

Source: www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org...

Nice try, next please !!

[edit on 6-10-2009 by December_Rain]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join