It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the U.S. rushing to war with Iraq?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2003 @ 04:27 PM
link   
...or is it overdue? While I think the US, especially during the Clinton years, didn't want to deal with Iraq. Even Bush didn't 'rush' to address Iraq until the after 9/11. The Iraq crisis isn't a new crisis, consider the following since the Gulf War:
- '93 Iraqi attempted to murder fmr. President Bush in Kuwait.

- '94 almost 100k troops gathered on the Iraq/Kuwait border. The UN passed resolution 949. US/British troops rushed into Kuwait then back out.

- '95 Saddam's son-in-law claimed that Saddam was able to hide his WMD's from the inspectors.

- '96 Saddam invaded the kurdish area of iraq (Clinton dropped a few bombs)

- '98 Inspections totally collapsed and Clinton dropped a few more bombs.

I think force should be only used as a last resort, and I don't think Saddam understands anything but force but the US is hardly rushing into war - in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 18 2003 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I don't know how we can be rushing into war.Its been 12 years since the GW,and nothing has changed in Iraq.
Saddam still murders his people,still has WMD,does not comply with sanctions and deals in terrorism.
I'm wondering how much longer we are going to wait.

posted on Feb, 18 2003 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Maybe the threat of terrorism in our own backyard is why the softly-softly approach is being taken.

With the step up of security in the UK and the constant operations on targets and arrest's made they are trying to limit the damage caused by Terrorists before the War with Iraq starts..

posted on Feb, 18 2003 @ 05:31 PM
link   
not if you say iraq 9/11 was an excuse to go to war with iraq

posted on Feb, 18 2003 @ 05:36 PM
link   
that muslims make up one fourth of the worlds population, so smacking Iraq around is only the tip of the iceberg. Do we attack Iran next, or do we throw darts at a map of the middle east and go with the random attack mode?

I'm not trying to be funny or a smartass, and even though many in the muslim world also think that saddam is a friggin' nutjob, the people of islam will stay united. So the real question here is "do the people of the US really want to piss off all of Islam and increase the acts of terrorism within our borders?".

I don't, since anything sodamn insane does just makes him that much more of a thorn in the sides of the islamic leaders, they'll eventually do him in or help to sponsor a coup to overthrow the wack job.

Basically, the US does not go out and start fights with 3rd world countries, although we have no qualms finishing them when some freak feels the need to mess with the US or our allies. The second thing I might add here is that we aren't suppose to involve ourselves with the inner politics of another nation, outlaw or otherwise.

So really Bob, the question shouldn't be are we rushing into war but rather should we even be starting something that will only bring more grief upon our people for many years to come, as well as creating another deficit that will take more the 8 years to dig ourselves out of this time.

Peace
it sells but whose buying?

posted on Feb, 18 2003 @ 05:46 PM
link   
USMC, Iraq is afterall, secular. Muslim indeed but they're are sunnis, shiites, then you have the kurds. Islam isn't going to unite those groups. Really, you bring up the same arguments people made in regards to Afghanistan. A coup attempt on Saddam is less likely than him passing off wmd's to terrorists. Saddam just placed one of his ministers under house arrest.

posted on Feb, 18 2003 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Saddam and Iraq are long overdue not just as a threat to other countries but mainly to his own people,if war is the only way to stop it then it has to go ahead.

posted on Feb, 18 2003 @ 09:10 PM
link   
As the string of failed prophecies on ATS shows, Bob -it's scarcely "rushing". Apparently the US has a second resolution to present to the UN and there is still the matter of Herr Blix.
Then there is the Dear Leader in Pyongyang who keeps pulling faces and calling names.
I still tend to think that GB2 is mindful of Bush p�re's election defeat and he is therefore keen for a later conflict that will stay in the electorate's mind. I fancy that economic news will continue to be bad for quite a while in the US and that, therefore, the later the war the better.

posted on Feb, 18 2003 @ 09:48 PM
link   
It appears that GWB really has no concern over the amount of men who will lose their lives in this war he wants so desparately.
I agree that it is a War wanted only by GWB, but I also note that deals are being made by him to other countries (Turkey) for use of their land in order to box Iraq in.
Saddam is a very smart cookie and I don't image he is just going to take this lying down from the man that doesn't like to be called a "MORRON"
Hasn't anyone noticed that GWB is running the world or trying to. The UN can't even get him to listen. The dictator is GWB.

posted on Feb, 18 2003 @ 11:15 PM
link   
GWB doesn't want a war and doesn't want any Americans to die. Maybe the war protesters should have protested Saddam instead, and asked him to immediately disarm. Then there wouldn't be a war.

posted on Feb, 18 2003 @ 11:25 PM
link   
i fear that is we do when rather, not if, attack iraq, the muslim terro attacks will come in numbers that even though all are being foiled today, some will begin to get through. probably smaller things like suicide bombings and shootings. but sooner or later they're going to get smarter. they could easily take down a building with unconventianal improvised weapons. hell a flight or two of remote control airplanes filled with c-4 could raise some serious hell. think, a rc plane the size of a coffee table, then ten of them. each packed to the wingtips with high explosive. and preprogrammed route in each of them. aim low on the cornerstones and eventually interior support will give out. the corners of a biulding are it's strongest so best to attack. knock out 3 even of 4 corners and you have got jenga in chicago, new york, or LA. of course that is hasty plan and probably won't work. back to the issue.

iraq isn't being rushed. 12 years. not rushing. 2nd resolution. not rushing. garnering support from other dudes. still not rushing. i say we waited far too long. bust in thier already and torch his sweet and sour muslim arse.

new topics

top topics

join