It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brain Waves Surge Moments Before Death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Brain Waves Surge Moments Before Death

dsc.discovery.com

Oct. 6, 2009 -- A study of seven terminally ill patients found identical surges in brain activity moments before death, providing what may be physiological evidence of "out of body" experiences reported by people who survive near-death ordeals.

Doctors at George Washington University Medical Faculty Associates recorded brain activity of people dying from critical illnesses, such as cancer or heart attacks.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Moments before death, the patients experienced a burst in brain wave activity, with the spikes occurring at the same time before death and at comparable intensity and duration

The doctors believe they are seeing the brain's neurons discharge as they lose oxygen from lack of blood pressure.

"All the neurons are connected together and when they lose oxygen, their ability to maintain electrical potential goes away," Chawla said. "I think when people lose all their blood flow, their neurons all fire in very close proximity and you get a big domino effect. We think this could explain the spike."

Brain researcher Kevin Nelson at the University of Kentucky, who studies near-death experiences, said it's well known that when the brain is abruptly deprived of blood flow it gives off a burst of high voltage energy.

So, oxygen deprivation is the catalyst for "Near Death Experience". This makes sense physiologically speaking. I am surprised that more scientific studies into near death experiences have not already been done many times over. It would be interesting to see what kind of results they get (besides death) from depriving otherwise "healthy" people of oxygen.

dsc.discovery.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
This still leave a lot to be explained. Like how people who have NDE read labels on top of the lights? Or hear the conversation in the room after being "dead?"

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I have always thought that seeing tunnels,visions etc are the result of the brain starving of oxygen,maybe chemicals aswell.Although it is by no means absolute you will see things as not everyone who dies and then resuscitated has any such visions.It may be a mixture of chemicals/lack of oxygen in the brain that have to be at certain levels which gives people them.In fact you will probably find that the majority of folks do not have any visions when they die.I do know a friend that died and was thankfully resuscitated.He never saw anything,wasn't conscious.Kinda like going to sleep minus the dreams.

[edit on 6-10-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I do know a friend that died and was thankfully resuscitated.He never saw anything,wasn't conscious.Kinda like going to sleep minus the dreams.

[edit on 6-10-2009 by Solomons]
This proves nothing. I have resusitated patients who remembered the pain of being defibrillated, but recalled nothing else, even though the resusitation was a long one.
To respond to those who are amaized that people recall entire conversations, you have never watched a cardiac monitor. Patients who are in a deep coma, with no response to pain, while show a change in heart rate when family members talk to them, or when a favorite song is played for them. Hearing is the last of the senses to fade.
I happen to believe in NDE's, because of people reporting seeing notes on top of monitors in OR's and ER's, as well as describing a full resusitation.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous Avatar
This still leave a lot to be explained. Like how people who have NDE read labels on top of the lights? Or hear the conversation in the room after being "dead?"

Reading labels, now that is unexplainable...except for people just flat out making it up...and there is no proof one way or the other on that. Hearing on the other hand, is a sensory function and would continue to react to external stimuli, even after someone is "pseudo-dead"...if the sensory nerves completely dies, then those that are resuscitated would no longer have the ability to hear, see, smell, etc.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Interesting... I have read that book about NDEs from Moody, and always wondered if there was any serious research going on. Things like reading labels invisible to other people or hearing conversations while having NDE can be tested.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

I didn't say it proved anything,just that he never had any NDE which brings up the question why not him,but others have.Hence why i think it's a very specific mixture of things in the brain which cause them.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
When you die your penial gland Rreleased '___' that is the spike that is the energy, it our way of moving forward after death.

Research '___' the spirit molocule and be totally amazed and astounded.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

Originally posted by Anonymous Avatar

Reading labels, now that is unexplainable...except for people just flat out making it up...and there is no proof one way or the other on that. Hearing on the other hand, is a sensory function and would continue to react to external stimuli, even after someone is "pseudo-dead"...if the sensory nerves completely dies, then those that are resuscitated would no longer have the ability to hear, see, smell, etc.

I agree, and also, haven't you ever had a dream where someone was like "I HAVE A BOMB" and it's all beeping loudly and you're like "OH GOD NO! WHY!?" and the bomb is going "beep beep beep beep" then you wake up and it's a truck backing up outside? lol

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I think some people OBE and retain consciousness, while others just cease to exist and are self consigned to oblivion. Expectation and faith probably has a lot to do with it..

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Could this be something more than just a domino effect before you die? Perhaps it's our consciousness fleeing out of the failing body?

I wonder if anyone's done a study or measured the area around someone who is about to die. If there's a measurable electrical discharge outside the body, it could show evidence of consciousness leaving one place and going to another (or dissipating into the surroundings).

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I guess I have a near death experience every week or so as I have Sleep Paralysis and very very often come close to death.
Leaves me completely paralyzed and I can't breathe, only moving my eyeballs is what i can do.

Interesting article though
thanks1

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Well what are brain waves??? Are they electro-magnetic?? Mabey are brain-waves is our consciousness?? Anyone know what brain waves are? Can you measure brain waves outside the body?? Since no energy dies in our universe, mabey our brain waves go somewere else?? I am just putting ideas together

new topics

top topics

join