It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WH Says Afghan Pullout not an Option

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   

WH Says Afghan Pullout not an Option

www.military.com

WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama won't walk away from the flagging war in Afghanistan, the White House declared Monday as Obama faced tough decisions - and intense administration debate - over choices that could help define his presidency in his first year as commander in chief.

The fierce Taliban attack that killed eight American Soldiers over the weekend added to the pressure. The assault overwhelmed a remote U.S. outpost where American forces have been stretched thin in battling insurgents, underscoring an appeal from Obama's top Afghanistan commander for as many as 40,000 addition
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Well Barack Obama continues to do the best George W. Bush, Jr. impersonation I have ever seen with his steadfast support for a war in a nation that became known as the Soviet Union’s Vietnam. It would be comical if it weren’t just such a tragic waste that Afghanistan is now becoming America’s Afghanistan too. It’s rather amazing we don’t learn from our own mistakes when fighting unpopular guerilla style insurgent wars, but we don’t even learn from anyone else’s mistakes like the Soviet’s either!

Instead after eight long bloody years of a costly war where the only objective we seem to have achieved is to install a tenuous puppet government in Kabul, at around this point of time invested in Vietnam we were winding down the war and looking to get out and understanding the war was unwinnable because the people themselves did not really want to live under the yoke of a corrupt puppet government is Saigon any more than the people of Afghanistan want to live under the yoke of a corrupt puppet government in Kabul.

While the tragic death of 8 Americans in recent days after having their lightly staffed remote outpost overrun by the Taliban has proponents of the war arguing the virtues of committing tens of thousands of more troops to beef up our presence there, common sense says the safest way to protect the lives of American troops is not by expanding their numbers in a perennial warzone made that way because of the independent nature of the people of that nation determined to resist all foreign invaders, the safest way to protect lives of American troops is not to commit them to open ended wars with vague and shifting objectives and purposes in such lands as Afghanistan and to bring them home.

Of course the real question is were those 8 Americans sacrificed on purpose by commanders who left them exposed in a remote high risk setting hoping that their sacrifice in such a place would foster the anger and other emotions to get Americans and the White House to commit tens of thousands of more troops.

It’s time to get out of Afghanistan not in it in a bigger way!

[edit on 6/10/09 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Obama's defense secretary, Robert Gates, appealed Monday for calm - and for time and privacy for the president to come to a decision.

Last week the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, Gen. Stanley McChrystal, called publicly for the administration to add more resources, which prompted a mild rebuke from Obama's national security adviser, James Jones, for lobbying in public.

Obama may take weeks to decide whether to add more troops, but the idea of pulling out isn't on the table as a way to deal with a war nearing its ninth year, White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said.

"I don't think we have the option to leave. That's quite clear," Gibbs said.

I love the last quote by White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs, as it begs the question why don’t we have an option to leave? Did all our troop transport planes break down? Can we no longer afford the high cost of gasoline for them? Have Afghanistan citizens physically chained them selves to American soldiers in a desperate effort not to be abandoned? Exactly why can’t we leave an unpopular and costly war that’s wrecked upheaval and havoc on the Afghan nation as well as our own here in America through the so called “War on Terrorism”.

It would seem to me the only thing that is preventing us from leaving is a lack of common sense and decency.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   

The question of whether to further escalate the conflict after adding 21,000 U.S. troops earlier this year is a major decision facing Obama and senior administration policy advisers this week.

Obama also invited a bipartisan group of congressional leaders to the White House on Tuesday to confer about the war. And Obama will meet twice this week with his top national security advisers.

Divided on Afghanistan, Congress takes up a massive defense spending bill this week even before the president settles on a direction for the war.

Yes because you just can plan out a war without having the neoconservatives and the military industrial complex representatives sit down and help you make the right decision regarding their profits, oops I meant the proper prosecution of the war.

Change you can believe in seems to be just that little bit that jingles in one’s pocket.

It would appear Obama is in the pockets of the usual suspects!

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Hi Proto,

There are many things that are beyond pathetic with this situation. First, "some" of the real motivations behind Afghanistan need to be exposed, and seen for what they are. I present the largest, and most apparent reasoning for being there:

Pipelineistan's Ultimate Opera
Tom Engelhardt & Pepe Escobar
uruknet.com...

Also, I don't have the links, but another thing that points at it not being a war of liberation, but of Corporate interests is that the US Govt. pays the Taliban, or different sects upwards of 20% the budget allotted to the war in Afghanistan. The 20% is going towards bribes, and payoffs so that the "Corporate" interests can be continually looked after, and the supplies for the enforcer's=US MILITARY can continually make it to the intended destination.

Now, what I laid out above is harsh, and unreal in many People's eyes, but truly supporting their troops with such high reasonable doubt, should only be to demand their return home. Especially after increasing tensions, and ever increasing battles; as mentioned of late.
S&F

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

It’s pretty shocking and disturbing to think of all the sordid motivations that went into the decision for war in Afghanistan and the ill gotten gains a privileged few have enjoyed as a result of our American conquest of Afghanistan.

It pains me to think the suffering and sacrifice so many have made, and might yet be made to still as a result of such machinations and manipulations Sancho. It truly amazes me that the American people tolerate this in our name.

The many things that the mainstream news media doesn’t talk about Sancho, if only people knew and cared…

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Are we afraid of Afghanistan.
Were we afraid of Afghanistan before 911.
The Taliban were in control of the drug traffic.
Not now.
Are their any signs of increased illegal drug traffic these days.
Of course the drug cartel must stay in control.

new topics

top topics

join