It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10-Year-Old El Paso Boy Gets $260 Ticket

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   

10-Year-Old El Paso Boy Gets $260 Ticket

www.kfoxtv.com

It all started with a phone call. “Well, the school called me it was about nine, and told me that my son had an incident at school,” said Charity Walka, recalling a morning about a month ago.

KFOX reporter Miri Marshall spoke with EPISD officials who said the ticket is legal under Texas law.

Marshall found a copy of the law on a legal Web site, showing it falls under Texas Education Code 37.124, although an age was not specified in a version KFOX found.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
These folks are absolutely nuts. And then folks go and look up the law and can't even determine if it's the right version of the law?

That's one way to get money, though. Just fine kiddies at school and make the parents pay. If they fine them every week, then they'll have plenty of loot.

I wonder how long before this becomes more widespread.. hmmm..

www.kfoxtv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by MegaCurious

The cities are trying to pay for services any way they can. Most people know to drive five miles under the speed limit. I expect them to start searching the couch cushions of citizens for extra change.I don't mind the idea of fining kids for misbehaving but 263.00 is just ridiculous ,but then it is also ridiculous to expect a poor person with children to pay that much for driving five miles above the speed limit.

[edit on 6-10-2009 by eradown]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I swear if all of this had been going on when I was in school, I would have had a criminal record a mile long. All these fines the school districts are allowed to collect are nothing more than a tax.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
kids act out, we all have, some less than others, but if you have a idiot buggin you while your trying to read a certain paragraph or whatnot, things can happen, thats just one sample.

So fining kids at school for being bad, is going to prove alot of kids who wont be going to school anymore.

Money = Chaos

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Social progress (to a liberal):

1. 1950 - kid acts out and gets beaten back into line

2. 1980 - kid acts out, gets beaten, and teacher gets a criminal record

3. 2009 - kid acts out, kid gets a criminal record.

4. 2050 - kid acts out.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
i thought every kid was entitled to a free and public education in the district in which they reside. but recently i have been hearing parents complain about fines and crazy fees. in my district you pay fines for fighting, book damage overdue books at library. fees for taking pe. fees at beging of year to allow child to go on field trips then pay to go on field trips .why are you going to charge 30 dollars just for a kid to have the right to go on trip. my neighbor paid that fee last year and her class never went on a trip last year and they kept 30 dollar fee

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
WOW, no wonder I am broke. I must have millions of dollars in back fines! I was a straight A student that spent most of my time in the hallway or principles office! Teachers don't like to be asked questions that they can't answer, and smart kids don't like getting BS answers that they know to be false!

In highschool, at least 4 different teachers allowed me to spend my class time in the gym or vice-principles office talking about football and wrestling.

I wonder how much $260 per day for 12 years is with compound interest after 20 years?

Back on point:

I think the teachers and security guards that decided the best way to discipline a 9 year old, was to write him a legal document should be fired! How can a complicated legal document, and court proceeding possibly be more understandable and appropriate for a kid, than a stern lecture, punishment, restriction of privileges, detention, expulsion, or whooping! I don't even understand the legal jargon on most tickets, how is a 9 year old supposed to?

If the school is afraid to do that, and it were my kid, I would be finding another school! If things prevent that from happening, I would make it very, very uncomfortable, maybe even dangerous for those people to influence my kid in any way! Something has to change, and it isn't up to the impressionable kids that are supposed to be learning from the authority figures. It is up to THEM and up to US!!

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I think this is great! Parents these days do not discipline their children the way they use to. I feel that if children are unruly in school (or any place for that matter) then it is a direct reflection on the parent as to how much interest and importance the parent is placing on the child's education, etc. This child was not fined, the parent was. Too bad it was dismissed, because if parents knew there were financial consequences to their child's inappropriate actions, then maybe the parents would give a S**T! Otherwise, it's the schools problem and responsibility, right?

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh

4. 2050 - kid acts out.

Why don't you put that one back in the oven for awhile.

It's only half-baked.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
I swear if all of this had been going on when I was in school, I would have had a criminal record a mile long. All these fines the school districts are allowed to collect are nothing more than a tax.

The article specifically states that the money would not have gone to the school district. Perhaps you missed that so here is that part of the article.

Zubia said it is rare that elementary school students get cited for disrupting class and the fines collected do not go to the school district.

Now that is not to say I think the fine was appropriate, because I don't I just do not want you to be confused or to misunderstand the facts.

To me it sounds like the kid threw a fit because the teacher would not allow him to sleep. Fining his mom $260.00 is not going to teach the kid anything because he is not the one being punished, his mom is.

It seems more appropriate to me that when a person breaks the rules, they are the one who should be punished.Fined? In this situation no. But there are ways to teach the kid what is and what is not acceptable behavior but I guess that would require the school to actually think....

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
To me it sounds like the kid threw a fit because the teacher would not allow him to sleep. Fining his mom $260.00 is not going to teach the kid anything because he is not the one being punished, his mom is.

You don't think his momma took out some punishment on him? The fine is intended to teach the parent a lesson, which in turn the parent teaches the brat a lesson. Makes sense, after all, it was the parent's responsibility to see to it that the child respects the educational system, teachers and his peers that ARE there learning and following the rules.

A more appropriate punishment SHOULD have been mandatory counseling sessions with parent and dysfunctional brat, but hey...lets just ignore the cancer that is disrespect and let's focus on the social negativity of enforcing LAWS and etiquette.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Thank you for the correction. I should have said that the money collected period is a tax. You are right that it doesn't go to the school.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by BaronVonGodzilla

The point is simple, but allow me to explain it for you as it seems necessary.

The objective of each generation's approach is to make children behave better, so that they ultimately turn into better adults. But the approach we have adopted, along with corresponding liberal principles, has failed, so children will continue to grow into poorly behaved adults.

Suddenly that seems painfully obvious to me.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Parents should be PRAISED, not FINED when their little "ATSers" interrupt the horrible indoctrination that they are being forced to go through in these public indoctrination centers known as "Schools."

This kid is obviously against NWO tactics if he knows it or not, and is naturally pushing forward the idea of a schoolyard revolution.

As we always say, we have to start with the KIDS! If we want to overthrow the NWO, we need to have our kids interrupt as much of their indoctrination as possible - that is, if we REALLY DO CARE about what the evil empire is doing to humanity.

We can only hope that other kids like him shut out their indoctrination by sleeping in class, or better yet, going outside in the hallway and lying down like this brave little ATS tike did.

The indoctrination centers must be infiltrated from WITHIN, not WITHOUT. Voting and the entire fake system which blinds us into thinking that we are making a difference is obvious not working.

We already have millions of "agents" within the indoctrination centers...

I for one, think it is time to "activate" them and begin the destruction of which is turning us into mindless sheeple.

[edit on 6-10-2009 by RestingInPieces]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh

4. 2050 - kid acts out.

I think #4 should be:

4. 2050 - kid extinct.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

And rightly so. Parenting is a hard business, I know, but there must be a way for parents to instill the understanding in their kids that disrupting class at school is not cool. If he's sick, he must be taken to the doctor. Either way, the mom screwed up.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I could see the kid getting detention, or being sent home.

Heck, I could even see a School Counselor contacting the parent to find out what is might be wrong with their 10 year old's behavior in school.

But a citational offense?

That just takes the cake!

At least it was dismissed in Court.

Let this be a lesson to everyone. It doesn't matter if you get cited or charged with something. Contest it if you feel you were in the right! Don't just passively accept what the authorities may do. "Question Everything" even pertains to the authorities.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus
I could see the kid getting detention, or being sent home.

Bullcrap. He was lying in the floor screaming out. To send him to detention would be to use restraining force on him, and I understand that few people would risk legal repercussions in case he got a bruise or two.

Slapping the fine on the sucker was the right thing to do.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by RestingInPieces

In High School I worked 40 hours per week at McDonalds, played Football, Wrestled, Joined Choir, Math Club, and Chess Club, Got Straight A's and High SAT/ACT scores, got about 40 speeding tickets, 10 accidents, and dozens of fights, had a fake ID, frequented the "country" bars, and slept through the majority of my morning classes!!
Luckily I scheduled morning classes with football coaches, and I took a seat at the back of the room so as to not be disruptive.

I once had a "Student Teacher" from the local college try to assert her authority and try to keep me from sleeping. I argued about it for a day or two, and then I just decided to nap in the weight room during that class!

My grade school experience was pretty similar, just "age adjusted." You know, I killed the class fish by experimenting too much, got caught with my hand up a girls skirt, got in trouble for walking around and helping the other kids, didn't like asking for permission for things like the restroom, and constantly annoying the teacher with intelligent questions that they could not answer, and then not taking the patented brushoff very well.

Yes, those young ATSers are a bunch of trouble, but the "Good" teachers can tell when they have an overactive mind or a kid that requires some extra challenges, compared to a kid with personal problems that is seeking out negative attention for themselves. There is no such thing as a "bad" kid in my opinion! There are plenty of "bad" teachers and security guards!!

Long way to say that I completely concur! Reward the kids and the parents that seem to outsmart their counterparts in the "system"!! But, on the otherhand, maybe this kid is a victim of abuse or neglect at home, and maybe the school was trying to send a strong message. I still disagree with a citation, but Social Services may not be a bad idea. A 9 year old kid is acting out for a reason, it isn't just bad behaviour for no reason!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join