It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA To Bomb The Moon Friday

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by DalJigsaw

No it really isn't an excuse and once again, it is not a bomb! We have confirmed the presence of water from a number of sources. What they are trying to do now is figure out how much water there is. There is little point trying to make a lunar base when we are unsure of how much water it will be able to supply itself with. We can't just start construction and hope there is plenty of water.

It is a very sensible, practical approach and the data will be used in future.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacecowgirl

Originally posted by deltaalphanovember
reply to post by LeTan

Humans are still learning, not quite stagnating!

Humans have learnt nothing it appears.

Well it's kinda the point of this mission - to learn.

I mean, would not a manned base on the moon lend to our developing a better understanding of extra-terrestrial living?

I'm all for this. We mine barren lands on earth to the point of utter depletion, and every single one of you on here BENEFITS from it - or in protest you'd not use electricity, the internet, phone or anything directly possible from the fossil fuel power generated services.

You'd not drive your cars to work or take the bus.

But the majority of people are complicit in this mining - and that's on this very planet we NEED to survive.

The moon has been, as far as we can see, bombarded with millions of objects over the course of it's life in orbit, and something the size of a sports utility vehicle being shot at it, in order to detect something that would allow us to exist up there long term, is nothing by comparison.

If humans never chopped down a tree to make a boat, we'd never have got very much done.

Or are we suggesting that ancient ruins on the moon left there by the ancient martians who came to earth thousands of years ago to breed with the neanderthals and create modern humans, might get damaged in this process?????

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
it seems to go like, shoot first, ask questions later. (axe questions rather)

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ha`la`tha
The moon has been, as far as we can see, bombarded with millions of objects over the course of it's life in orbit, and something the size of a sports utility vehicle being shot at it, in order to detect something that would allow us to exist up there long term, is nothing by comparison.

It is kind of funny about how worked up people are getting isn't it. I am struggling to find an exact weight and size of the object that is hitting the moon. I'm sure it's quoted somewhere but i just can't find it. I did however find two other figures. According to NASA a 10 KG meteorite hitting the moon at similar speeds as the LCROSS kinetic device would have 8 billion joules of energy, the kinetic device they are using is going to have 6 billion joules of energy Therefore it should weigh around 4.8 KG.

To put that one in perspective a litre of water has a mass of 1 KG. So basically they're firing 5 litres of water (by mass) into the moon.

[edit on 6-10-2009 by ImaginaryReality1984]

link   
reply to post by Raider of Truth

Are you just pulling the funny?

You really are not that far gone are you?

link   
I'm aghast ... totally ... what right does nasa have to do this stupid thing! who owns our moon. Nobody!!! It's our satalite that controls much on earth eg tides, weather and more. If something should go wrong, the people will pay the penalty.
Leave it alone or the moon will be stuffed up like so many places on our earth

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
So I suppose you won't mind if I dump my trash all over your front lawn eh?

Wait - Do you live on the moon Zorgon?

How are those soul catchers btw?

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by L.HAMILTON
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

I believe the payload on this missile is 2 tons of explosives , hardly the scenario you are discribing. www.examiner.com... trial-civilizations

It's NOT a missile, it's the booster stage that propels the satellite into it's final orbit in space, it will have NO fuel in it, and will have the mass of a sports car.

Ugh!!!!!!!!

Your URL links to a 404 error...

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
One day people will pay attention to what is going on in the world and I will fall off my chair

You? Off yer rocker?

Noooo Never !!!!

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Ron, what do you really think the target on the Earth's Moon to be and why?

Is it possibly to destroy the Soul Catcher Tower that John lear talked about?

You are right we can not trust NASA to always tell us the truth because we

have to look at who is actually behind the scenes funding this project.

Ron, you know something big is about to happen on the Moon can this be to

strike out at the Empire grey aliens or Domain grey aliens and to provoke

them into confrontation? Ron your the best when it comes to knowing what is

going on with the Moon. What do you really see in the Rabbit Hole? ^Y^

[edit on 6-10-2009 by amari]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I hope they "bomb" it. I think it's a fantastic idea. I think they should actually "bomb" it even more JUST to annoy two groups of people. 1. The crackpots. 2. The people who don't even know what it's for.

As to bombing structures on the moon, well I would of thought a crystal soul catcher that apparently nobody can see would be strong enough to do that (and an empty rocket booster with no RCS thrusters does not have the accuracy - even an ICBM wouldn't).

[edit on 6/10/2009 by C0bzz]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   

reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Sorry about the link, I was wrong , yes a 2-ton kenetic bomb with hopes to create a five mile wide crater. hope this link works better. www.examiner.com...

The LCROSS impact will excavate a crater approximately 20 meters in diameter

LCROSS FAQ

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Well they are expecting quite a large plume from this' 20 Meter crater ' , that will be able to be seen from Earth. Debating the size of the crater or the type of explosive or 'kenetic' bomb is pointless, fact is they are going through with this .

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
LCROSS was launched ages ago. Fact of the matter is, even if they wanted to stop this mission - they couldn't. It would take a huge amount of energy to do so.

Also, I laugh at the notion that NASA should somehow be sending humans to the moon instead of this mission, even though they do not know the most basic things about spaceflight and the most basic differences between such missions.

reply to post by L.HAMILTON

The people who made that video score very high on the "crackpot index".

[edit on 6/10/2009 by C0bzz]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Well they are expecting quite a large plume from this' 20 Meter crater ' , that will be able to be seen from Earth. Debating the size of the crater or the type of explosive or 'kenetic' bomb is pointless, fact is they are going through with this .

Yes they are going through with it but how exactly is that a reason to stop it? All you have said in this post is that they're going to do it therefore we must stop it, without any real explanation as to why.

The plume will be visible from earth because the expelled material will be very fine and therefore reflect plenty of light. Think of it like a cloud on earth, you only need a small amount of water vapour to produce a visible cloud.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
It is kind of funny about how worked up people are getting isn't it. I am struggling to find an exact weight and size of the object that is hitting the moon. I'm sure it's quoted somewhere but i just can't find it. I did however find two other figures. According to NASA a 10 KG meteorite hitting the moon at similar speeds as the LCROSS kinetic device would have 8 billion joules of energy, the kinetic device they are using is going to have 6 billion joules of energy Therefore it should weigh around 4.8 KG.

To put that one in perspective a litre of water has a mass of 1 KG. So basically they're firing 5 litres of water (by mass) into the moon.

[edit on 6-10-2009 by ImaginaryReality1984]

Funny is one word, I'm finding it rather scary that so many people instantly jump up and down; makes me really think that no matter what the topic, all the media hsa to do is present it a certain way, and people will panic, scream to the heavens, start getting pitch-forks and hunting that monster in the barn...

I found some information on the dimensions of the Centaur stage rocket -

Centaur Rocket
Dimensions: The Centaur rocket is 41.6 feet tall (12.68 m) and 10 feet in diameter. Attached to the LCROSS spacecraft, the stack measures 47 feet (14.5 m).
Mass: The total mass of the Centaur at impact is at most 5,216 pounds (2,366 kg).

But before impact it will be purged of as much fuel as possible - not for prevention of any combustion but so as to not taint the readings in the resulting plume.

LCROSS QUICK FACTS

I think you might have misread the FAQ detailing the numbers too

The Centaur will be traveling at impact at 2.5km/s to release 6 billion joules.
A 10kg Meteor traveling at ~40km/s at impact would release 8 billion joules.

The comparison, I think, is to show that Centaur will cause LESS damage to the moon than any of the typical objects that hit it on a regular basis, despite the Centaur being larger. It's traveling slower at a speed of 2.5km/s while the 10KG meteor would be traveling at ~40km/s.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
well hopefully there's no little moon men on there, gonna get pissed were bombing # for fun.
-shakes head-
I feel ashamed to live in America in situations like these....

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Oh, well... We need to practice orbital bombardment whenever we can. It might come in handy someday.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
If the greys deem this to be a weapon of destruction they will more then

likely destroy the so called bomb before it impacts the Moon. Do you realize

the Moon is a hollow sphere and the surface is similar to a large projection

T.V. screen.

Yes you do see surface terrain that is real but the skin or surface of the

Moon can change in color like looking into a clear sheet of ice over

water beneath. I am not saying the Moon is full of water although water

exists on the Moon but the Moon is similar to a glass ball or looking in or out

of a window on Earth.

If you will look at these telescopic photos of yesteryear and today you will

see these photos of the surface of the Moon look like looking into an

aquarium or fish bowl and the Moon photos contain depth. Study good quality

telescopic Moon photos you will see what I mean. ^Y^

[edit on 6-10-2009 by amari]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
NASA is not looking for water on the moon.

they are looking for Helium-3
en.wikipedia.org...

The isotope is extremely rare on Earth but abundant on the moon. Some experts estimate there is millions of tons in lunar soil -- and that a single Space-Shuttle load would power the entire United States for a year.
www.asi.org...

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join