It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA To Bomb The Moon Friday

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by whereismyfather

It's a cube. I noticed that also. It came to my attention when I realized that Saturns poles are the shape of a hexagon.

Or, draw the star of David, then draw lines from each point. Now draw a line from corner to corner. It's a pentagram. Now look at the whole thing.

Oh my its a cube.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by endtimesrhere

Hydrogen gas is not explosive but it does burn rapidly in the presence of oxygen gas. Remember the Hindenberg? Big, fast fire, not an explosion.

The hydrogen detected on the moon is not hydrogen gas, it is part of either water ice (H2O) or hydroxl (HO) containing minerals. They are "trying to blow it up" to find out how much water (as opposed to the other stuff) is on the surface and below it.

The impact will not "light" the hydrogen any more than you can "light" an ice cube or a crystal of hydroxlyapatite.

The impact of LCROSS will be at a much lower speed than the meteor impacts which occur on an ongoing basis. Smaller, faster objects strike the Moon with the same and greater impact frequently. Less frequently but not rarely, the Moon is hit by much greater impacts.

No, I don't think a 10km high plume is more than an impact. There is no atmosphere to slow the material down and the gravity of the moon is weak so the material will able to get that high before being pulled back down. There are no explosives. Only small amounts of materials which are easily vaporized will vaporize and they will not add energy to the impact. The plume will consist of rocks, dust, ice, and rocket bits.

[edit on 10/6/2009 by Phage]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by December_Rain
That image came to my mind too and it's disturbing.

Well at least we will have a good view...

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by naught
This is a pretty interesting video that first brought this to my attention.

And here goes my first attempt at posting a youtube link here, fingers crossed
youtube link

Next time just copy the number between = and & (if its there) and paste that into the youtube button in the post box

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ItsallCrazy

One day american history will brush the indians claim to have found water first under the carpet so that the mighty US can claim it for themselfs. The usual con tactics, nothing more.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by spacecowgirl

More American insanity!

Just because you are apparently ignorant, does not mean the rest of the world is insane.

And yet not a voice raised in a whisper against it?

Why should there be? This is essentially the same tactic we used with the Deep Impact probe, with impressive results. We already know water molecules exist on the lunar surface. Now we need to establish whether or not water crystals are there. I.E. Potential deposits of water we can use to help supply manned bases and create rocket fuels with. The discoveries made could profoundly affect the direction of both the national and international space agencies. And that's just it's MAIN mission. We have no idea what we're going to discover by studying the plume.

----------------------------------------------------

Initial results were surprising as the material excavated by the impact contained more dust and less ice than had been expected. The only models of cometary structure astronomers could positively rule out were the very porous models which had comets as loose aggregates of material. In addition, the material was finer than expected; scientists compared it to talcum powder rather than sand.[36] Other materials found while studying the impact included clays, carbonates, sodium, and crystalline silicates which were found by studying the spectroscopy of the impact.[11] Clays and carbonates usually require liquid water to form and sodium is rare in space.[37] Observations also revealed that the comet was about 75% empty space, and one astronomer compared the outer layers of the comet to the same makeup of a snow bank.[11] Astronomers have expressed interest in more missions to different comets to determine if they share similar compositions or if there are different materials found deeper within comets that were produced at the time of the solar system's formation.[38]

--------------------------------------------------

I am dumbfounded by the ignorance of American corporations/government who believe bombing a pristine environment is the way to go?!

Pristine? What the hell are you talking about... LOOK at the Moon. It is NOT a pristine environment, unless your definition of pristine is "has not been altered by man". In which case, however, you're half a century too late on that one. Over half a century. Crashing probes into the Lunar surface was par for the course back in the days we were still rather clueless about what was out there and were trying to figure out how to get unmanned objects there and back.

Luna 2 in 1959 ring a bell? I suppose not. Or you just don't care.

But just in case, you might want to familiarize yourself with this nifty little list of over 50 missions which left either landing/test equipment up there - or purposefully crashed into it. While you're pondering it, perhaps you can point me to the posts of yours which condemned the European Space Agency for their impact probe, SMART-1 in 2006. Or the Indian Moon Impact Probe in 2008. China's Chang'e 1 impact probe and Japan's controlled impact of their SELENE probe - both of which happened this year.

"American Insanity?" LoL... you're silly.

Shame on you all for not demanding this be stopped!

No... shame on you... for either being a repugnant troll or apparently the deliberate stifling of personal reason and the denouncement of discovery for the sake of spewing a baseless moral tirade. And if by some slim chance you really believe we're trying to bomb alien bases... then shame on whoever is responsible for the apparent abortion of your mind.

[edit on 6-10-2009 by Lasheic]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by spacecowgirl
I am dumbfounded by the ignorance of American corporations/government who believe bombing a pristine environment is the way to go

It's not exactly a 'pristine environment'. It's a dust filled, empty moon. There is nothing wrong with exploring it and if that means making a little bit of the dust go 'poof' .. then so be it.

Quite wrong mate!! Even if we belive the Moon is a "just a dust ball", it still is very important part of the Earth ecossystem!
It will be just need one of this experiences to go wrong on something, and the global Earth could suffer the final result!
Messing with the Moon at the least it's similar to mess with Earth Oceans and all the Planetary Hidrosphere!!

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I get really frustrated with these stupid headlines. This is not a bomb! It is a small object slamming into an uninhabited, small moon at a speed minor compared to many meteors that have hit it before now, for the very resonable purpose of discovering how much water, and other molecules/elements are in the moons surface. The projectile contains no explosive material.

By gathering such data we may one day have a lunar base. Without this data we're taking random leaps of faith. Are we to send astronauts there in the hope there is plenty of trapped water or elements in a large enough quantity that we can create water? Or should we build an extremely expensive probe to land softly, collect some samples and blast them back to earth, with the possibility of contaminating them! No, it's best to do as NASA are now.

Please stop with these stupid, over blown thread titles. Oh and just because the mainstream news calls it a bomb, doesn't mean you should spread that idea Ignorance is no defense.

Rant over.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbra Sideralis
Quite wrong mate!! Even if we belive the Moon is a "just a dust ball", it still is very important part of the Earth ecossystem!
It will be just need one of this experiences to go wrong on something, and the global Earth could suffer the final result!
Messing with the Moon at the least it's similar to mess with Earth Oceans and all the Planetary Hidrosphere!!

*Imagine a scream of utter despair*

This object is tiny, it will have no long term effects on the moon other than some dust being moved around a little. It's akin to having a dusty desk, blowing on it and watching the dust settle, the desk really isn't effected that badly. The moon has had impacts, vastly bigger than this little object.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984

Originally posted by Umbra Sideralis

*Imagine a scream of utter despair*

This object is tiny, it will have no long term effects on the moon other than some dust being moved around a little. It's akin to having a dusty desk, blowing on it and watching the dust settle, the desk really isn't effected that badly. The moon has had impacts, vastly bigger than this little object.

True, i think you can just seat a relax, if you really trust NASA, and belive what they will do and why!
...I don't!

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

I believe the payload on this missile is 2 tons of explosives , hardly the scenario you are discribing. www.examiner.com... trial-civilizations

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ashamedtobehuman
One day american history will brush the indians claim to have found water first under the carpet so that the mighty US can claim it for themselfs. The usual con tactics, nothing more.

One day people will pay attention to what is going on in the world and I will fall off my chair

Pentagon Press Release
Tuesday, December 3, 1996 - 1:45 p.m.
Subject: Discovery of Ice on the Moon
www.defenselink.mil...

They knew about it from Apollo (unless you believe Apollo was a hoax)
They knew about it from Lunar Prospector Mission
They knew about it from Clementine

India confirmed it but it was using a NASA instrument that found that confirmation

The water is there... we don't need to blast it into space to know...

Mars used to be bone dry... then little by little NASA released that there might be water, then there was water, then there was a lot of water a long time ago, then Phoenix finds ice inches below the surface...

Astronomers used to see clouds on the Moon... NASA said no way... but tracked all such reports since 1956 as TLP's... then they tell us now that there are raging dust storms of levitating dust at the terminator, and they have recorded sunset rays since Surveyor...

NASA = Never A Straight Answer

But they LOVE smashing those expensive toys we buy for them

[edit on 6-10-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by L.HAMILTON

The article says 404 atm however i cannot find on NASA's webpage any mention of explosives. If i have overlooked this then please point to it on NASA's website and i'll retract my previous statement. This object just doesn't need an explosive charge. It's hitting at a great speed, with a decent amount of mass behind it on a moon with relavtively low gravity to prevent the particles from rising.

[edit on 6-10-2009 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Umbra Sideralis

Whether your trust NASA or not shouldn't really even factor into it. We could throw the entire world's arsenal of nuclear and conventional explosives at the moon, at the velocities necessary to orbit the sun (which are far greater than the velocities necessary to orbit the Earth) in one titanic and epic explosion... and we still wouldn't even be CLOSE to the required energy needed to budge the Moon out of it's orbit and impact it's gravitational influences on Earth's bioshere/climate.

What you're suggesting is akin to claiming that throwing a tennis ball at a freight train could transfer enough kinetic energy to tip it over and derail the Engines. It's... not.... going to happen - no matter how good a throwing arm you think you have.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by L.HAMILTON

I believe the payload on this missile is 2 tons of explosives , hardly the scenario you are discribing. www.examiner.com... trial-civilizations

*shakes head* you didn't even read your own linked article. It says a 2 ton kinetic weapon, this in no way means explosives. Any moving body has kinetic energy, you walking along have kinetic energy. You have read the word kinetic and immediately leapt to expolosives.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I didn't get the link
Am I the only one, or is the link broken?

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
Please stop with these stupid, over blown thread titles. Oh and just because the mainstream news calls it a bomb, doesn't mean you should spread that idea Ignorance is no defense.

Sorry but ATS rules state we must use the existing headlines

Scientific American says BOMB
www.scientificamerican.com...

Popular Science says BOMB and they agree with your reasoning

Why NASA Should Bomb the Moon to Find Water: Analysis
www.popularmechanics.com...

These are icons of the science world

So why can't WE say BOMB

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Sorry about the link, I was wrong , yes a 2-ton kenetic bomb with hopes to create a five mile wide crater. hope this link works better. www.examiner.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
It bothers me a little about the moon because who aint to say it wont blow off a junk that hits the earth or will knock the moon out of alignment. I mean what if they do this every so often for testing and all the vibrations add up to knocking it off the orbit.. Theres some dangers with this im sure... Might not be big ones but they are some dangers.

Theres gotta be a reason why they would be wanting to bomb it something besides water.. Got to be something... Why not use a drill or have man create a hole..

Yea it might be cheaper and faster but its more safer to just drill a hole..

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Quite simply because it's incorrect, they use the word bomb because people will read magazines with the word bomb on more than they'll read a magazine with the word impact. I have read NASA's website, i can't find the word bomb on thre atm. I could have course missed something, absolutely and if i have then please point it out and i'll apologise. Don't use popularist magazines that are trying to sell issues though.

Originally posted by L.HAMILTON

Sorry about the link, I was wrong , yes a 2-ton kenetic bomb with hopes to create a five mile wide crater. hope this link works better. www.examiner.com...

Do you have any clue how much energy would be required to create a crater that big? The NASA estimate is a crater 20m in diameter. Please tell me where these nut jobs got th 5 mile wide figure from?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join