It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is your god the real god?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I've never understood the mindset or logic that can settle on one god; to me it just has too many problems. Below are a few questions that illustrate these problems and my reasoning for why I don't believe one can rationally believe in one particular god, assuming you were to believe in a god in the first place.

So...

If it’s because your holy book says so why then are other holy books false and yours true?

If this is because your holy book says it’s the only truth or that your god says he’s the only god, what about the other books and gods that the say the same thing?

If it's because your book described known real events or people what of other books that do the same?

If it is because the authors were just writing fiction, deluding themselves, mistaken or being influenced by a malevolent force, how do you know the authors of your book weren't as well?

If your god is real because you feel him/her/it, what about when someone of another religion says that they feel their god?

Perhaps they're feeling your god but then perhaps you're feeling theirs?

If it is because they are deluding themselves, mistaken or being influenced by a malevolent force, how do you know you aren’t as well?

If your god is the real god because you've spoken with them, how do you explain people talking to other gods or even fictional characters?

If it is because they are deluding themselves, mistaken or being influenced by a malevolent force, how do you know you aren’t as well?

If your god is the real god because he/she/it can perform miracles, what do you say to other religions that claim similar miracles?

If your god is the real god because your belief has brought good fortune to you, how do you explain the wealthy who pray to a different god or those who share your god but don't share your luck?

And if you can't answer any of these questions, if you can't come up with any real reason as to why your god is the real god, why then believe at all?

To those who think their god is just one of many gods, if this is the case does this fit with what your god says? Does he/she/it claim to be the only god and if so does this not then mean your god is a liar? And if that's true why would you want to worship a liar?

Thanks for you replies.

PS – I may update this post with additional questions if they come up.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
The way i answer this question, is do i really care if you do not believe, and what does it have to do with you, what i believe as a person.

All of us who believe in god, understand that word in different ways, so its a waste of time answering. None of you can truely answer this question.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mike_A
I've never understood the mindset or logic that can settle on one god; to me it just has too many problems. Below are a few questions that illustrate these problems and my reasoning for why I don't believe one can rationally believe in one particular god, assuming you were to believe in a god in the first place.

So...

Why is your god the real god? BECAUS HE IS

If it’s because your holy book says so why then are other holy books false and yours true? THEY ARE ALL TRUE NATAS MIXED THEM UP TO DECIEVE YOUALL

If this is because your holy book says it’s the only truth or that your god says he’s the only god, what about the other books and gods that the say the same thing? AGAIN ALL HOLY BOOKS HELP TO SEND ALL HUMANS TOWARDS THE POSITIVE DIRECTION NATAS MIXED THEM TO DECIEVE YOUALL

If it's because your book described known real events or people what of other books that do the same? THEY ARE ALL ATTEMPTING TO SEND YOU ALL TO THE LIGHT NATAS CREATED CRUSADES, FOR RELIGIOUS SOULS WEIGH HEAVY IN HELL TRUST ME

If it is because the authors were just writing fiction, deluding themselves, mistaken or being influenced by a malevolent force, how do you know the authors of your book weren't as well?I KNEW GOD BEFORE ALL YOUR AUTHORS SO I CAN SEE THE LIES INPLAY

If your god is real because you feel him/her/it, what about when someone of another religion says that they feel their god?THEY FEEL THE SAME GOD

Perhaps they're feeling your god but then perhaps you're feeling theirs? PERHAPS, I DONT NO HIS NAME YOU HAVE TO MANY NAMES FOR HE BUT HE KNOWS YOUR GOOD INTENTIONS

If it is because they are deluding themselves, mistaken or being influenced by a malevolent force, how do you know you aren’t as well?I NOW MY SPIRIT IS NOT AS ALL OF YOURS ON EARTH AND SPACE

If your god is the real god because you've spoken with them, how do you explain people talking to other gods or even fictional characters?THEY SPEAK TO THE SAME CREATOR WHO CREATED THEM AND GAVE THEM THE MIND TO THINK

If it is because they are deluding themselves, mistaken or being influenced by a malevolent force, how do you know you aren’t as well?MY SOUL SEES WHAT MANY WHO ARE CONSIDERED HIGH PRIEST AND HIGH GOVERNMENT CANNOT SEE

If your god is the real god because he/she/it can perform miracles, what do you say to other religions that claim similar miracles?THE SAME GOD DIFFERENT NAME AND LOOK, HENCE NO IMAGES

If it is because they are deluding themselves, mistaken or being influenced by a malevolent force, how do you know you aren’t as well?YOUR ARE REPETITIOUS IN YOUR TOUNG AS IF YOU ARE AN INTELLIGENCE FIRM HUH

If your god is the real god because your belief has brought good fortune to you, how do you explain the wealthy who pray to a different god or those who share your god but don't share your luck?I AM NOT BLESS WITH LONG MONEY I HAVE LONG BLOOD CURRENCY

And if you can't answer any of these questions, if you can't come up with any real reason as to why your god is the real god, why then believe at all?HE SENT ME TO ASSIST HIS SON AND LAY A RED* CARPET FOR HIS HOLY BORN 1

To those who think their god is just one of many gods, if this is the case does this fit with what your god says? Does he/she/it claim to be the only god and if so does this not then mean your god is a liar? And if that's true why would you want to worship a liar? THE LIAR IS THE 1 YOU BELIEVE WILL PROTECT YOU FROM THE SUN FRIEND *CING*

Thanks for you replies. YOUR VERY WELCOME KNOWLEDGE SEEKER

PS – I may update this post with additional questions if they come up.

[edit on 10/6/09 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Anyone believing on god could emhasize the direct experience or emotion they had about their god (like person in 3rd post). I don't think that defining the god is really important to answer the question stated in the topic of this thread.

I think that the imaginary rivalry between gods is unimportant, since many of the believers regard that other gods simply doesn't exist or regard them as the opposite force of their gods - which is usually evil.

Just hold onto your gods, its not important whether they are the best or not - as long as they bring you the peace of mind and moral standards you are otherwise lacking, all are equally good. To some, god is unimportant thought construct, really an imaginary form of external set of moral standards. Some people just cant act properly without their god.

-v

[edit on 6-10-2009 by v01i0]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I mentioned this in another thread- have you noticed how certain people KNOW their god is the true one, but rarely do the people jump from one to another- say, a Christian having an experience with Muhammad and/ or Allah.

It's like trying to put an Apple OS on a Commodore 64.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat
I mentioned this in another thread- have you noticed how certain people KNOW their god is the true one, but rarely do the people jump from one to another- say, a Christian having an experience with Muhammad and/ or Allah.

It's like trying to put an Apple OS on a Commodore 64.

MABEY THEY STICK WIT WHO THEY KNOW AND THE NAMES THEY MENTION MAY BE THE SAME PERSON

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Eh?

It has nothing to do with what I believe, I could be a bishop or Richard Dawkin's best friend and the questions would be the same.

This thread is a sincere attempt to understand how a significant portion of the population determine what they believe.

If you believe in a specific god or set of gods then I assume you do so for a reason; therefore these questions are all relevant. In what belief system could these questions not apply?

The root question is answerable by anyone who believes in a god. Why is your god the real god, the subsequent questions are just there to pre-empt possible reasons that I have a logical problem with.

reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Thanks for the reply; if I understand you correctly you are saying that there is only one god but we represent it as many.

This is not without its own problems, for example why so many contradictions? In many scriptures god claims to be the only one, distinct from any others; some claim things as moral where others call them mortal sins. This doesn't make sense if these all represent the same being.

You could claim that all of these come about because of misinterpretations and what not but then we come back to questioning why you think your interpretation is the correct one.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
humans tend to think of GOD as a care bear love freely joy joy no destruction but in order to CREATE YOU MUST DECOMPOSE/destroy black holes eat old universe and make new1Z

OUR LORD IS CREATIVE AND DESTRUCTIVE LOVING AND NON LOVING @ TIMES NOT MOST OF THE TIME ONLY WHEN HIS CREATIONS MISBEHAVE.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Mike_A *applause*

Brilliant! Such questions no religious person can answer adequately.

Look at the anger in the replies, especially the 1st one. The poster doesnt even attempt to answer, but rather attacks you. The answers another poster gave to your questions are just silly and non-factual.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by qwiksilva
Mike_A *applause*

Brilliant! Such questions no religious person can answer adequately.

Look at the anger in the replies, especially the 1st one. The poster doesnt even attempt to answer, but rather attacks you. The answers another poster gave to your questions are just silly and non-factual.

Really well I guess when your soul energy ripes you will meet him yourself UNLESS YOUR NAME IS NOT IN THE BOOK OF LIFE. I never care what anyone who is not in the book thinks REMEMBER your deeds & SERVICES and who you done them for and we shall meet during the EXODUS IF YOU DONT PASS AND GE TIN LOL.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
My God is the real God because I do not try to define Him/Her/It. I can define my side of the relationship, but I won't define God's side of it.If I don't define who or what God is, how can my definition be wrong?

If God created the universe then that's pretty awesome and I could never wrap my little mind around all of that power, wisdom and ability.

[edit on 10/6/2009 by sad_eyed_lady]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Can I ask, do you define yourself as christian?

i.e. are you saying that all other gods are representations of the christian god or are you saying that all other gods are a representation of an undefined god?

reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

It's not really whether you define your god in terms of his/her characteristics but rather whether or not you reject any other gods.

In other words if you're a christian why choose that god over Allah for example?

If you are truly agnostic as to the definition of god then the question probably doesn't apply to you. But if you actively believe “that” god is the wrong god then it does.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
My god is the real god because both my Gun and my Peenor are bigger than yours. Also, I'm pretty sure I can pee further than anyone who claims my god isn't the real god.

Idiocy aside, the only way I can objectively verify that the god I believe in is the true god - is by finding evidence for such a being in the Creation. However... it would appear as thought there is no evidence to support such a claim. Plenty of gaps still left to cram god into, but no evidence. As there is no objective evidence to suggest such a being does in fact exist - how then, could I justify any claims I would make about such a god? I couldn't. However, on the assumption that god exists for the sake of argument - I feel my interpretation is most accurate. While it's true my "interpretation" does absolutely nil to define or verify the properties, demeanor, or desires of such a being - a healthy understanding of naturalistic science (the proposed Creation) can be useful in falsifying blatantly erroneous claims about such a being.

For example, if someone wanted to promote the idea that god's favorite color is Pink - that position cannot really be argued against. Color doesn't really exist, and is merely our minds interpretation of the wavelength variances in light we can detect. But there's nothing to say "God couldn't see "Pink" like humans do. It's just totally unsubstantiated - as is the belief in god in general. However, to claim that the Earth is less than 10,000 years old and the "Garden of Eden" closely resembled the Town of Bedrock from the Flintstones... well... the evidence DOES contradict and debunks those such claims.

For this reason, I feel that modern Deism must - if it's proponents truly value their ability to reason - should acknowledge that scientific understanding is presently complete enough to make the difference between God's existence and God's Non-existence essentially nil. As such, Deism has transitioned fundamentally (IMO) from a position which rejected faith in favor of reason and science to suggest and evidence god's existence (which was a defensible position 200 years ago during Deism's heydays) - to a much more faith based view wherein the study of the Creation cannot suggest or deny in any meaningful capacity the very existence of such a being.

I would suggest that my interpretation of god is generally far more correct than the majority of theistic views - simply because it acknowledges that such a belief is (at it's core) irrational and indefensible faith alone.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

How the heck would I know if my God is the real God? I don't have any idea. I'm a human being and therefore have a finite mental capacity like we all do. Which means I can't even conceptualize what an infinite God may be like or make any mental connection to it all. Emotionally one may be able to make a connection, but mentally you're just trying to wrap your head around something that's impossible to understand assuming it exists.

The only thing I have to relate to my God is Jesus because he was human. A human is something I can relate to, or at least the story of. However, I have no idea if my God is the "correct" God. What I do know, is that trying to understand any other non-human infinite God to determine if they are the "correct" God is a waste of time because I have no basis of comparison. At least I can look to the story of Jesus as a human being and compare that instead of trying to judge some incomprehensible force of the multi-verse.

All I do know is if there is not a God I still believe in forgiveness and love of one another is the way we should live our life regardless if he was real or not.

In other words I believe God or no God that the values that Jesus taught are the correct values one should strive for regardless of if God is real or not.

Therefore, since I believe those values are the correct ones that would most likely be passed down by a good God, then when trying to find the correct God it would have to be one of the religions that teach those values and comes closest to that. More importantly if Jesus was real, he was a human and therefore that God practiced what he preached while facing all the same challenges everyone else does and much much worse and never lost his cool. Real or not, I have an example to show me the way.

Also, other religions have issues that I don't seem to understand, like reincarnation. If everybody is just being reborn all the time, where'd all the new people come from and stuff like that? But that's another issue.

But I don't really think about it like that for the most part. It's just like, if there was a correct religion then it would probably work like this.....and then I read about Jesus and what he preached was in line with how I thought it should be. If it's not that way, then oh well I guess I was wrong.

But that doesn't mean I'm right. There's no way of knowing. More importantly, by the way you phrased your post, I assume you already knew there's no way of knowing I'm right. You come in with a question you already know there's no answer for just so you can say there's no God and you don't really expect an answer or hope to gain any knowledge.

You could have saved a lot of typing and just summed up your whole post as, "There is no God! He's a liar! Stop believing!". Yes, none of us have ever heard that before.

I could post the same nonsense question to you that so many have asked from my side. And it bugs me even more when the people on my side ask this question . How do you know there is no God or that my God isn't the correct one? Same answer, nobody knows. That's the fun of it really.

If you ever want to ask a question that has an answer though feel free to message anytime.

[edit on 6-10-2009 by tinfoilman]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

Mike, I guess for me it is kind of you go with what you know. I come from a Christian background so Jesus is the Man/God of which I am familiar. This was my indoctrination. For me to say my faith is right and yours is wrong seems very arrogant to my way of thinking.

This is why organized religion fails. I divides the world and makes enemies of different faiths. Governments use this division to instill enough hate in people that they are wiling to fight wars and die.

I am not a religious person, but perceive myself as a spiritual one. Sorry I won't be much help on this thread.

Starred and Flagged and hope this thread opens minds to understanding and accepting other peoples belief systems.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

1. Jesus is alive, the others are all dead.

2. I have seen Jesus answer prayer many, many times.

ie, instant pain relief from broken bones,

instant healing from physical ailments.

words of knowlege about people that Jesus has given me and proved
to be correct.

When you have these experiences, it pretty much proves that he is real.

As for other Gods, To be honest i have never heard of these things happening in other faiths and if they do then i am at a loss to explain them.

My God says that "there are no other Gods but me" and as i know he is real. I believe him.

My belief is based on facts and not just the bible.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by tinfoilman

More importantly, by the way you phrased your post, I assume you already knew there's no way of knowing I'm right

Well I did start the OP by saying “here are a few questions that illustrate my problem with the logic of believing in one particular god” so there's no hidden agenda on my part.

But this isn't about whether there is a god or not, it's about how people answer this logic problem.

You seem to answer it by just accepting you may be wrong, which I have no problem with but if you accept, as you seem to do, that you have no reason to believe that this god is the real one then why do you? What's the point when you could just as happily go on without this belief?

It's not the moral values that the associated religion espouses because you can take them without believing in the god; further more these good values are mixed in with other that I would wager you don't like (such as killing every first born son).

reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

For me to say my faith is right and yours is wrong seems very arrogant to my way of thinking.

But if you believe in a particular god then that is what you are doing, even if it's tacitly so.

To believe that the christian god is the true god is to believe that the hindu gods are false; otherwise you are indirectly questioning your own god.

I still don't really understand this mindset though, can you really be satisfied in believing in something that you consciously know has no reason behind it just because it's what your parents believed?

Imagine if someone came up to you and said “blue is immoral” and when asked why said “it's just what my parents believed”; wouldn't that puzzle you?

reply to post by jon1

But Jon, these are what my other questions addressed.

You say you see Jesus answer prayers but Muslims see Allah do the same. These experiences and supposed miracles are shared by all faiths; I know you say you are at a loss to explain this but hypothetically how would you go about doing so?

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I wouldn't say my god(s) is any better or worse than anyone elses god(s)...
but the .44 mag I've carried on my right hip for the last 20 years means I don't have to worry about anyone trying to subject me to their beliefs in their god(s)

Now that is something to have faith in...

[edit on 6-10-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
The only answer anyone can give really is because it says so in *insert scripture here* There are no other reasons,yes people can say because jesus stopped me from drinking 25 years ago, or i can feel a connection to *insert prophet/god here* But those are simple biological/chemical functions of the brain that can be applied to things other than gods,deities etc

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
My deity is the Primal Source of All, infinite in presence. Since all sprung forth from that Eternal Spring, all the deities of man, that ever were or will be, are but reflections of that Primal Source.

Therefore, the dead man on a Cross that Christians worship, the god of Abraham, the many gods of the ancient Kemetic (Egyptian) people, the many gods of the Hindis, the gods of the ancient Norse, the spirits of the Shinto, and every primitive god of indigenous peoples, are but attempts to define something infinite, beyond human understanding and reasoning. They are all but faces of the same, and therefore just as valid as the next deity of the next religion.

To give that Primal Source a name limits the infinite and makes the object of worship finite. To give the Primal Source attributes limits the infinite and makes the object of worship finite. Each of the world's religions do such which is what allows for diversity in religious belief yet gives the illusion of different gods and contradictory dogma, when in reality they are all worshiping reflections of the same infinite Source.

I once heard an old Buddhist fable that said that the Monad (the One) is like a giant elephant and the religions of the world are blind men trying to figure out what the giant elephant really is. One will feel the leg of the elephant proclaim that god is most definitely a giant tree trunk. One will feel the trunk of the elephant and proclaim that god is most definitely a giant snake. One will feel the ears and proclaim that god is a giant leathery butterfly. None of the blind men are correct, but rather interpreting their experience with something greater than they are in the scope of their limited understanding. Ultimately though they are all feeling and worship the same thing.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join