It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How does a thread get into the top four?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I was wondering what rules are in place that decide when a thread gets put into the top four on the ATS home page. The reason I ask is that the recent thread "I know what I saw" (posted 21 hours ago by Dimensional Detective) has 91 flags and yet has been taken out of the top four a few hours ago. The current top four each have flags between 12 and 33 (at time of posting). Those top four get the most viewing. When I first came across this site I only used to view those ones. Then when I finally found some time to look around the site, I started noticing the categories of important, top and hot topics. But still I only usually check the top four regularly due to time limitations.

So I'm wondering why did the thread "I know what I saw" disappear from the top four, when it is clearly the top recent thread (less than a day old)? Sometimes I notice far less popular threads hang around in the top four all day or longer. Does anyone know how this works or who makes the decision as to what threads get the attention?

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
It doesnt matter. Ranking and placement is nothing but marketing hype, and everyone on ATS is smart enough to know worthless marketing hype when they see it.
The only thing that does matter is starting threads that contain new information of a previously unknown nature.
-Glad to help.

[edit on 6-10-2009 by SpookHunter]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I know that flags aren't the only reason a topic gets attention, it's also about the amount of replies. But looking at the current top four topics, there are threads with less replies (as well as flags) than the "I know what I saw" thread (I am using that thread as an example). Does someone decide which issues should concern us more at the moment (e.g. swine flu or financial crisis more important than UFO topic?)

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I bet if you start a topic: Why evolutionists and creationists always argue you will get a lot of attention. It might help you if you are a girl to. There is a lot of boy's on this site.

And maybe the most important thing dont include to many facts in you topic because that will kill your post. It wont leave any room for people to argue.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Aelfrede

To my understanding, the top three (it is not four, at least on the "myats" page) are placed upon flags, after 24 hours from the original post the thread is bumped down to make room for other, more recent ones. While the side bar (on the right, the one that has "top threads", "active threads", and "new threads") contains the top threads for 72 hours before they are removed. On the homepage I believe the cycle is either 24 hours, 16, or 12 (I am not sure on that). But it has nothing to do with anything other than making sure an equal amount of threads get 'publicized' based upon member rank via flags, it is not a "hype", it is based solely on flags given by members.

Hope that cleared up your question.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   
You want a thread in the top three (four, whatever)?

Simple! You make a thread about the world ending, say you're related to the Rothschilds. Also, make a thread saying "WAKE UP SHEEPLE! I'M READY AND OBAMA'S NOT GOING TO TAKE MY GUNS!"

The last one will get you massive recognition. Extra flags if you discuss the "red pill".

Or, you can simply spend hours compiling top quality information only for it to go unnoticed because you're not a site editor. Unfortunately, it's all about status.

Thankfully, though, the users with status happen to be quality contributors and an asset to the site and the community.

join