It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mudras for Meditation

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Hello all,

For those of you who are new to meditation, or just new to using "mudras", here is some information that could be very helpful in their use.

WHAT IS A MUDRA?

Mudras are most commonly hand or finger positions used while meditating to influence different energy flows in the body.

They are used all over the world in different religions, although they are more common in Buddhism.

They have been used for thousands of years by people from all walks of life.

They have been used as a spiritual practice (and still are), as a way on the path to enlightenment.However they're also used for physical ailments

here are photos of some common Mudras and their purpose

1. Gyan Mudra (Mudra of Knowledge):

[img]
[/img]

- Increases memory power and sharpens the brain

- Enhances concentration and prevents Insomnia

- Regular practice ensures the cure of psychological disorders such as hysteria, anger, depression and other mental problems

2. Prithvi Mudra (Mudra of Earth):

[img]
[/img]

- It helps to increase the weight of weak people

- It improves the complexion of skin by making it glow

- It makes the body healthy and active

3. Varuna Mudra (Mudra of Water):

[img]
[/img]

- It helps retain the clarity in blood by balancing the water content in your body

- Prevents the pain of diseases such as gastroenteritis and muscle shrinkage

4. Vayu Mudra (Mudra of Air):

[img]
[/img]

- It cures diseases of old age such as rheumatism, arthritis, gout, parkinson's disease and paralysis without the use of any medicine

- It is useful for Cervical Spondilytis, paralysis to face and catching of nerve in neck

- It helps get rid of the disorder of gas in the stomach

5. Shunya Mudra (Mudra of Emptiness):

[img]
[/img]

- It relieves an earache within 4 or 5 minutes

- It is useful for deaf and mentally challenged people who were not born with the condition

6. Surya Mudra (Mudra of Sun):

[img]
[/img]

- It brings down cholesterol in your body and helps in reducing weight

- It decreases anxiety

- It corrects indigestion problems

7. Prana Mudra (Mudra of Life):

[img]
[/img]

- It helps immunity get better

- It increases the power of eyes and brings down the incidence of eye related diseases

- It removes vitamin deficiency and the feeling of fatigue

8. Apana Mudra (Mudra of Digestion):

[img]
[/img]

- It regulates diabetes

- It cures constipation and piles

- It helps in regular excretion of normal waste

9. Apana Vayu Mudra (Mudra of Heart):

[img]
[/img]

- It strengthens the heart and regularizes palpitation

- It regulates the excretory system

- It reduces gastric trouble

10. Linga Mudra (Mudra of Heat)

[img]
[/img]

- It stops the production of phlegm and gives power to lungs

- It cures severe cold and bronchial infections

- It invigorates and strenghtens the body

I hope this can be of help to those of you who are interested in this kind of thing. Im just learning myself. Used a couple of mudras and definatly felt different energies while putting them into practice.

Its amazing some of the things that can be cured by applying some of these techniques!!!

Feel free to add more mudras or provide experiences of using mudras. It would be interesting to hear what you all have to say on this subject!

There are hundreds of other mudras with all different uses. Too many to post on here!!!

G.

meowlife.blogspot.com...

[edit on 6-10-2009 by grantbeed]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   

It would be interesting to hear what you all have to say on this subject!

I would offer the advice of not becoming too attached to any particular mudra. Instead, allow them to spontaneously manifest during meditation. If you simply pay attention to your hands any time you're in deep thought, you'll probably find your hands will naturally come to rest in certain positions. Take note of these positions. Be aware of them.

If it pleases you, by all means go "look them up" to see what associations some other person thinks they're supposed to have.

Or don't.

Trust in source before lists made by humans.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Is there any one that might be best in cases of kundalini overload (or premature rising)?

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

hi there, im not sure of a mudra for this but please read the attached book. it has good tips for what you describe -

books.google.co.nz... U&hl=en&ei=5QXLSqjvPIOmsgOsjKGiBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7#v=onepage&q=&f=false

pages 85 onwards

g

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

To say I am appalled would be to put it mildly.

OP, while I appreciate your effort to share info about Mudras, the complete lack of research and understanding in this post can at the very least

a) cause no changes in people who might take this seriously

or in a worst case scenario

b) cause unwanted changes in the pranic energy which may be completely unexpected and may be difficult to handle and balance.

This is a gentle warning to those who wish to go further in this matter.

Would request you to delve a little deeper on such subjects, which involves changes in our energy fields.

Some info:

Mudras ( the term comes from Sanskrit incidentially) means seal, posture, gesture etc etc.

Its origins are shrouded in mystery and antiquity, significance both exoteric and esoteric, although indubitably of the vedic era, predating Hinduism and Buddhism.

Descriptions abound in ancient Indian hindu texts such as Tantra Shastra, Upasana Shastra, Nritya Shastra, etc.

The ancient yogic text, the Gheranda-Samhita, talks about 25 important ones. Another important one is Somashambhupaddhati (11th century).

In ancient India, while practising Hatha yoga, mudras are special physical asanas, or body-postures, exercises through which one controls and modulates ones own innate energies.

This was forbidden to be shared with those considered unfit, as these mudras confer tremendous power and psychic abilities called siddhis, if practised the right way and with rigour. Therefore these mudras are esoteric in nature and in antiquity, was imparted to very few. Those whgo were true spiritual aspirants, not for the materially focussed or the spiritually power hungry.

And YES they do have a connection with Kundalini.

Do not want to hijack your post, and hence will not post more on the matter.

My apologies for this, but, as a practitioner for the last 17 years, I simply couldnt sit silent.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Very interesting...i thank you with all my heart.
I have had some complications with my heart for quite some weeks now.
A very weak right valve. I was trying to find ways to strengthen my heart without putting too much stress on it.
Yoga helps a bit, but at times i can feel my heart beating to a point where it hurts.
Definitely am going to try the strengthening of heart mudra tomorrow, and the following week to see how it goes.
once again thank you

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   

nice of you to have posted the mudras. i have a large number of them also. however, i would agree with charismagic that they are not to be used without guidance. anyone who wants to use the mudras should first get introduced to energies like yoga, reiki, pranic,spiritual healing etc before they embark on using these.

kundlini awakening is something different and a serious thing not to be taken lightly. it rises naturally. it should not be forced as it can be cause problems if raised without the chakras being fully active or a person not being spiritually progressed.

[edit on 6-10-2009 by goldenlight]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I've been made a believer. I was meditating a lot and really enjoying it. It is like exploring the world for free...I was spending hours. some days, as I lose track of time I had some medical/physical problems - they disappeared. Thats why i started. It DID work. B/p went way down. arthritis, pain...gone...and I was feeling pretty....high.

Then I got occipital lymph node swelling at the top of my spine, and the top of my butt. They grew together symetrically and I broke out in hives all over. I still feel like - I've got a major transformative fire burning in me, but there's too much to be burnt off. I've had to go on major immunosuppressants.

I did not know what this kundalini stuff was. I got a new book, Kundalini Rising, to review. One of those coincidences that make you go hmmm....I was like OMG this is what's happening to me...

but I find all the suggestions are useless in a case as bad as mine.....they all say stuff like...long walks, get close to nature...I am an avid gardener, don't think I can fit more in nature time IN. And I'm about SICK of eating meat.

Then they say, quit meditating for a while....but that's like coming off crack.
I've read EVERYTHING I can find about grounding out the energy, but I'm telling you, it is ALL too vague. My formal diagnosis....is that I'm rejecting...myself. I'm making antigens to my own tissue. I know now - my body was seriously not ready to handle the energy that it has started producing. Same thing really, no?

The best thing I've found, is eating cold red cherries. Of course they are out of season. Very cooling. Grapes a bit helpful. Lots of meat. Grabbing small trees with both hands on separate branches.

I wonder if open hand might be of use.

Some stuff I've read that happens to people include diabetes and even cancer. That's nothing to play around with.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by goldenlight

kundlini awakening is something different and a serious thing not to be taken lightly. it rises naturally. it should not be forced as it can be cause problems if raised without the chakras being fully active or a person not being spiritually progressed.

[edit on 6-10-2009 by goldenlight]

My sense, going through this, is that ...in my case...and cases I've read about...it is often that the BODY, as a vessel, is not developed enough for the spiritual energy that it becomes filled with. I think a number of imbalances of different kinds could be very problematic. Then too there is at times the issue of be careful what you ask for.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Charismagic

well, i am sorry. didnt mean to appaul you with my very basic post on Mudras.

Im not trying to get people to have spontaneous kundalini awakenings and endanger anyone.

All i am doing is starting a post about a very interesting subject which deserves to be talked about and shared.

If you look at many many meditations, whether guided or not, they will be accompanied by Mudras.

You might as well search through this site and flame people for posting about meditation in general or yoga because both these can have the same dangers.

All I have posted here are some simple mudras that may actually be of benefit for people.

I am not asking people to go and get deeply involved in this. People should do research for themselves also and find out much much more.

The post was not supposed to be an in depth research of the topic. Just a quick and simple picture guide to an interesting topic.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I really appreciated the post.
I have a lot to learn.
It is not like there are an overabundance in clearly spiritual gurus in rural Jawja.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Interesting thread.

Since there are people here who appear very knowledgeable about the subject, I hope somebody can enlighten me regarding the following:

About ten years ago, while I was walking down the street, I suddenly found myself holding the fingers of my left hand in a very specific - definitely un-natural - position that could only be described as a "mudra" (although I haven't seen that particular position of the fingers anywhere in mudra-related literature).

I won't describe the position itself (it's irrelevant, anyway), nor will I describe my mood and apparent effect on others at the time - let me just say that both were unusual.

Maybe three years later, the same happened again: I suddenly realised the fingers of my left hand were forming that same "mudra" - and the mood was the same, very specific.

I don't mean to sound cryptic - and if I do, it's certainly not meant to confuse anyone. I am omitting details simply because I'd like to keep my question - and the answers, if there are to be any- as simple as possible: does anyone have any reliable information - perhaps even personal experiences - about the spontaneous formation of "mudras"?

(I have searched for this subject on the internet, but there are MANY websites and books, and none of them offered more than vague theoretical musings on this particular subject.)

[edit on 6-10-2009 by Vanitas]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

does anyone have any reliable information - perhaps even personal
experiences - about the spontaneous formation of "mudras"?

What would you like to know?

Energy may pass through form. Certain form may be condusive to certain energy. This is readily apparent with many forms of energy. For example, the resonant frequency of an antenna is a function of its length. Or watch this video of vibrations induced by sound causing salt to form patterns.

The spontaneous formation of body shapes is the same phenomenon. Your body is responding to energies that it is experiencing. A person who deliberately chooses and forms a mudra is acting like an antenna: they are shaping themselves to be receptive to a certain energy with the intent of receiving it. A person who manifests a spontaneous mudra is acting like the salt in the video: they are manifesting shape according to the energy they are experiencing.

I have searched
none of them offered more than vague theoretical musings

Try a web search for "spontaneous asana" manifested during yoga practice. You'll probably find more discussion, and it is essentially the same thing.

[edit on 6-10-2009 by LordBucket]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
thanks for posting this! i am new to mudras too. actually, meditation in general. I've done it accidentally somtimes, but never had any guidelines. How long do you typically hold these mudras?

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

Thank you.

You know... as ridiculous as this may sound (it does to me), I find it inexplicably difficult to assess even myself what type of information specifically would I like to obtain ("inexplicably" because I don't usually have problems with verbal formulation of ideas - and because this topic doesn't sound like a particularly mind-boggling problem).

I suppose I was really asking about personal experiences with spontaneous "mudra" formation, because they are - obviously - less abstruse than theoretical writings (as interesting and useful as these may be).

Anyway, thanks again!

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

I find it inexplicably difficult to assess even myself what
type of information specifically would I like to obtain

That would be consistent with the mindset of allowing spontaneous mudra. Think about it: you are not specifically seeking a certain piece of information...you are simply letting it be known that you are receptive to whatever information is out there. Just like a person who is receptive to, and experiences a spontaneous asana/mudra, as opposed to a person who pores over a list and chooses one for deliberate practice.

I suppose I was really asking about personal experiences with spontaneous "mudra" formation

Forgive me if I'm equally vague as your question...but what is there to say? If one is receptive, one may experience spontaneous asana/mudra. I have experienced it. As have you. As have others.

Being receptive to what is available is one strategy of experience. It is an essentially feminine strategy. Choosing to be cause and compell a particular desired experience is another possible strategy. Both are valid.

[edit on 6-10-2009 by LordBucket]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

Well, that is a reply that is as unexpected as it feels accurate.

Thank you.
That explains a lot.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

You're most welcome. It's nice to get to be helpful to someone.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by loveandthink

There is no set length of time that im aware of for using Mudras. It may be a 10 minute meditation while you are on your lunch break, or you may be doing a 30min meditation in the evening.

Actually, I have a good comment to add - the last couple of days I have been trying to get over some bad bachache (due to lots of lifting when we moved house).

So today, i looked up a specific Mudra for Back Pain, and after a only about 1minute of this mudra, my back pain was subsiding and i was much looser than before.

Amazing!!

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

for a kundalini to move upwards, chakras should be fully open. in forced raising it tends to push its way through the chakras and if the chakras are not open then pushing continues and sometimes it hurts also, or kundalini will move all over the inside of your body to get out.

yoga and mudras normally go together. yoga as we know it is for physical wellbeing but raj yoga is the heighest of all yoga akin to proper meditation.

kundalini is basically potential energy which is changed to kinetic energy. it's rise to the top of the head as a fountain. it help in your all round growth physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually. if you do not do meditation etc it can go to base chakra and become dorment again.

if you are feeling spaced out, i.e. you feel that your body moves and you do not move in it then try grounding. imagine that your feet have got roots and you are anchored to the ground.

hope this helps.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join