It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Kinder, Gentler Ancestors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Our Kinder, Gentler Ancestors

online.wsj.com

Some of this evidence comes from the new field of behavioral economics with studies showing that people do not always adhere to the profit principle. We care about fairness and justice and sometimes let these concerns override the desire to make as much money as possible.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
This is a great article, especially for the Wall Street Journal.

Here is something that will have to be incorporated into subsequent forms of capitalism. It appears that the one main thing all primates want in return for being part of a societal system is justice (fairness).

Without this agreement, society breaks down into violence. Indeed most anywhere violence occurs, it is because one person feels that something has been taken from them, whether tangible or not.

online.wsj.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Thoughts anyone?

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
thats kind of like me, but its not fgoing to work when im only 19.
the world is fast-phased and you need a couple of money to get anywhere in the world it seems.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

All primates? Ha, more like 60% ish. Unfortunately not many people look at things in the interest of fairness.

Good to see that they had some good findings though, provides a little hope for some change.

I know what you mean about the violence where people think they have had things taken from them, liberties, freedom, rights, money, possessions. But what about the people who all they do is take and give nothing back??

1) Politicians
2) Most Criminals
3)... There is no 3 actually

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ItsallCrazy

there more missing in ur list.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
3. Those with personality disorders that make them incapable of seeing other people as anything but tools.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

This is a great article, especially for the Wall Street Journal.

Here is something that will have to be incorporated into subsequent forms of capitalism. It appears that the one main thing all primates want in return for being part of a societal system is justice (fairness).

Without this agreement, society breaks down into violence. Indeed most anywhere violence occurs, it is because one person feels that something has been taken from them, whether tangible or not.

Heh first thing I thought of when I read that last paragraph of yours was... thats a perfect reason behind a certain issue between two peoples in a certain country in the middle east currently. Heres hoping we (or i should say 'they', both sides) can learn that eventually.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Well, "kinder n' gentler" might not always work...

How Neanderthals met a grisly fate: devoured by humans

One of science's most puzzling mysteries - the disappearance of the Neanderthals - may have been solved. Modern humans ate them, says a leading fossil expert.

The controversial suggestion follows publication of a study in the Journal of Anthropological Sciences about a Neanderthal jawbone apparently butchered by modern humans. Now the leader of the research team says he believes the flesh had been eaten by humans, while its teeth may have been used to make a necklace.

Fernando Rozzi, of Paris's Centre National de la Récherche Scientifique, said the jawbone had probably been cut into to remove flesh, including the tongue. Crucially, the butchery was similar to that used by humans to cut up deer carcass in the early Stone Age. "Neanderthals met a violent end at our hands and in some cases we ate them," Rozzi said.

More at source:
www.guardian.co.uk...

[edit on 10/6/09 by silent thunder]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
its more of "humbleness" than "kinder and gentler"

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by platipus
its more of "humbleness" than "kinder and gentler"

Well, whatever you want to call it, we didn't make it to the top of the food chain by nodding and smiling, I can tell you that.

I sometimes wonder if sociopaths, psychopaths, and pathological narcicissists (you know, the kinds of people who run and staff central banks) are another species about to break off from us and cannibalize the rest the way we may once have done with the neandertals, if the theory above is indeed true.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItsallCrazy
reply to post by HunkaHunka

All primates? Ha, more like 60% ish. Unfortunately not many people look at things in the interest of fairness.

Good to see that they had some good findings though, provides a little hope for some change.

I know what you mean about the violence where people think they have had things taken from them, liberties, freedom, rights, money, possessions. But what about the people who all they do is take and give nothing back??

1) Politicians
2) Most Criminals
3)... There is no 3 actually

If you read Dale Carnegie, you will find that even Al Capone felt justified.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I have never even thought of that but now I have its intrigued me!

With evolution and the idea of it being environmental it would be interesting to see how different groups of humans had evolved now if they had not all co-mingled and moved around.

Say when everyone split off from the cradle of civilisation and moved to further lands, they'd just stayed there. Enduring different climates, different surroundings. From desert to jungle to icy mountains..

There would be some cool sub categories for humans by now!

Hunka - I've never even heard of that so I'll be having a look later, always interested to read criminal psychology

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Kinder and gentler! What utter nonsense what this world desperately needs is more thievery and war. Yes, brutal wars of aggression, a Mad Max world of total lawlessness in the streets. We need a true survival of the fittest world to stop carrying all this dead weight! I am disabled I can’t fight and steal! Exterminate them and throw them on the trash heap better them than them dragging us all down! That’s the problem with the world today to much mollycoddling and not enough Spartan principals. I would have loved to have seen 300 people on welfare checks hold off the entire Persian army! Ha, wouldn’t have happened, I can’t hold my shield my arm is deformed, this spear handle gives me splinters, we have been fighting for 3 hours and 55 minutes aren’t we supposed to get a 15 minute break when we have been fighting for 4 hours.

Love and compassion should be saved for the strong not the weak. To the victors go the spoils. What is dragging this world under is all the weak kneed, lily loving liberals and pacifists wanting to save the whales and hug trees and give their dogs rights in a court of law against their owners! A court, who needs those in a trial by fire and strength, the world is our court.

We have lost our way because we seek to outsmart and over rule nature itself. Caring for the weak and the sick, the elderly and infirm has swelled the herd to a near impossible and dysfunctional state.

Kinder and gentler? Nay I say, crueler and more savage! *

*The preceding was an alternative viewpoint by the author and is in no way the expressed or exact view of the station it’s affiliates or advertisers (though in reality it is pretty darn close).

[edit on 7/10/09 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
I sometimes wonder if sociopaths, psychopaths, and pathological narcicissists (you know, the kinds of people who run and staff central banks) are another species about to break off from us and cannibalize the rest the way we may once have done with the neandertals, if the theory above is indeed true.

Well that’s certainly the way they see themselves; as a superior race that is simply taking their prerogative of herding and harvesting we lower life forms. See the metaphor of the Morlock and the Eloy in The Time Machine. You might also check out the movie Bell, Book and Candle with James Stewart and Jack Lemmon.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItsallCrazy

People who only take and give nothing back are sociopaths, deviants, although it has been popular in some quarters to insist that that is the normal condition of humanity. Using other people solely for one's own pleasure or gain without empathy or compassion is a characteristic of serial killers.

Even if it could be proved that we are somehow hardwired to exploit and abuse one another there are the mitigating factors of education, society and civilization.

In college I learned that the higher the degree of education one has, the more liberal one becomes, but saying this on ATS is probably tantamount to a declaration of war.

top topics

join