It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who/what is a Czar?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Have the people running this govt. been reading really bad comics? Someone is a Czar?

A Czar of what, and why?

If these people are going to step into fantasy land, don't you think they should have some primer?

Anyway, this seems strange to me. I was born in the USA on Kirkland, AFB and lived on Walker, AFB. Among others.

(Beale, AFB, too.)

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Czar was a term created by FDR for his advisors. The amount of czars used by the President was increased dramatically by George W Bush who expanded it from Clinton's 7 to 31.

Here's a list of the number of Presidential Czars:

President's name Number of"czar" jobs

Franklin Roosevelt 12
Harry Truman 6
Dwight Eisenhower 1
John F. Kennedy ?
Lyndon Johnson 3
Richard Nixon 3
Gerald Ford 1
Jimmy Carter 3
Ronald Reagan 1
George H. W. Bush 2
Bill Clinton 7
George W. Bush 31
Barack Obama 32

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
To the OP:

stop hyperventilating. I'm not a govt official or politician, just a professional in an advanced technical field. I've been called a Czar on a couple of occasions because of my leadership role in a certain project (nothing gigantic). It's just a figure of speech. Relax.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by total newbie

czar
One entry found.

Main Entry: czar
Variant(s): also tsar or tzar \ˈzär, ˈ(t)sär\
Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin czar, from Russian tsar', from Old Russian tsĭsarĭ, from Gothic kaisar, from Greek or Latin; Greek, from Latin Caesar — more at caesar
Date: 1555

1 : emperor; specifically : the ruler of Russia until the 1917 revolution
2 : one having great power or authority

— czar·dom also tsar·dom or tzar·dom \ˈzär-dəm, ˈ(t)sär-\ noun

I also know the term CZAR is being thrown around a lot in some circles because it sounds Russiany, thus Communist. . . That is happening because certain media players are trying to appeal to the uninformed masses:

The Russian Revolution is the collective term for the series of revolutions in Russia in 1917, which destroyed the Tsarist autocracy and led to the creation of the Soviet Union. In the first revolution of February 1917 (March in the Gregorian calendar) the Czar was deposed and replaced by a Provisional government. In the second revolution of October that year the Provisional Government was removed and replaced with a Bolshevik (Communist) government.

Believe me when I say, Communists are not big fans of the term Czar/Tsar!

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
czar (zär, tsär)
n.
1. also tsar or tzar (zär, tsär) A male monarch or emperor, especially one of the emperors who ruled Russia until the revolution of 1917.
2. A person having great power; an autocrat: "the square-jawed, ruddy complacency of Jack Farrell, the czar of the Fifteenth Street police station" (Ernest Hemingway).
3. Informal An appointed official having special powers to regulate or supervise an activity: a racetrack czar; an energy czar.

www.thefreedictionary.com...

czar
1555, from Rus. tsar, from Old Slavic tsesari, from Gothic kaisar, from Gk. kaisar, from L. Caesar. First adopted by Russian emperor Ivan IV, 1547.
The spelling with cz- is against the usage of all Slavonic languages; the word was so spelt by Herberstein, Rerum Moscovit. Commentarii, 1549, the chief early source of knowledge as to Russia in Western Europe, whence it passed into the Western Languages generally; in some of these it is now old-fashioned; the usual Ger. form is now zar; French adopted tsar during the 19th c. This also became frequent in English towards the end of that century, having been adopted by the Times newspaper as the most suitable English spelling. [OED]
The Gmc. form of the word also is the source of Finnish keisari, Estonian keisar. The transferred sense of "person with dictatorial powers" is first recorded 1866, Amer.Eng., initially in ref. to President Andrew Johnson. The fem. czarina is 1717, from It. czarina, from Ger. Zarin, fem. of Zar "czar." The Rus. fem. is tsaritsa. His son is tsarevitch, his daughter is tsarevna.

www.etymonline.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
If you ask a sane person its an advisor, if you ask everyone else its THEN END OF THE WORLD, WHO WILL SAVE US, ARE WE RUSSIANS NOW???? WHO WILLL THINK OF THE CHILDREN WONT SOMEBODY PLEEEEEEEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!!! THAT BLACK MAN IS A MUSLIM AND PUT EVIL CZARS THERE TO KILL US ALL....OH THE HUMANITY. Thats a Czar

top topics

join