It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians and Atheists Agree! Doesn’t the GOLDEN RULE really work? Even if there is a Satan!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
CAVEAT here: You are going to research this to really contribute…you are welcome! I’ll check back tomorrow…

Maybe this is how we are build as humans?

“Do unto others as you would have done unto you” Sorry for the King James…..See: www.youtube.com... “ ”OT’s not afraid either”

To live a life for God, CANNOT happen, without the living a life for OTHERS! Shame on immature Christians who think it’s all VERTICAL and ignore the HORIZONTAL! See: www.youtube.com... It’s ride or die! OT says, He who has ears, hear!

I feel like Rodney King, “can’t we all just get along?” Is this right? www.youtube.com... Or this? MY girl who represented the LORD JESUS CHRIST better than most Reverends I know, or OT, for that matter? I dare you to ponder!!! See: www.youtube.com...

Every atheist I ever had the pleasure of knowing, has made it a point, to show me, they are MORAL people as well. Isn’t that what G-d wants?

Why all the hate between the groups?

Would you, as an atheist give faith/God/religion a second chance if Christians were more like Christ?

Do you believe in Evil?

Scripture says you are blinded, is that fair?

Are you , too, buying and throwing away???

Like BONO, I ask/say: www.worldhunger.org...

Sorry for being so heavy!

OT

PS: No ignorance, no fear…did we learn everything we needed in KINDERGARDEN?????.

PSS: I’m in America, watching the ole dude BF, sling it as a rookie in MINN>

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Well, I'm an agnostic and the ethic of reciprocity (aka the golden rule) is my "religion". Most religions and ideas for justice and human rights are based on these principles, treat all people as you would want to be treated.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Orion65

Orion65,

THX! you must be 44! old2 huh?

OT's glad you stumpled on my latest...

Great pts!

[edit on 5-10-2009 by OldThinker]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

I do know that God will bless the unbeliever if the unbeliever is still following His ways. Regardless of whether a person believes in God or does not, God will bless those who follow His ways. I knew some unbelievers who were more cognizant of their actions than myself, a believer, and taught me some things. S+F OT! Good thread.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Orion65

When you have time, I'd be honored if you reviewed my links...and let me know your thoughts...

OT

btw, the ole guy's doing good in MINN...there is hope!

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackflap

I do know that God will bless the unbeliever if the unbeliever is still following His ways. Regardless of whether a person believes in God or does not, God will bless those who follow His ways. I knew some unbelievers who were more cognizant of their actions than myself, a believer, and taught me some things. S+F OT! Good thread.

jack, nice avatar!!!! you will really like www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker
reply to post by Orion65

When you have time, I'd be honored if you reviewed my links...and let me know your thoughts...

OT

btw, the ole guy's doing good in MINN...there is hope!

40 is the new 30, baby!

I'll check out your links when I have a little more time and will post more later.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   

That avatar is for Dark Days In The Underworld. A collaborative writing effort about Werewolves and Vampires. Check it out when you get a chance. We need writers too so if you are so inclined...

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

I will...

It is SWEEEEET!!!!

If you see TURN ON THE IGNITION and the HARLEY Video, let me know...

OT's got more....

ANY atheists out there? Are you being decieved? And would you even, know it????

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Guys/readers, I know there is quite alot to review....pls do. I gotta go to sleep, I'll check in tomorrow.

Good night!

OT

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Would you, as an atheist give faith/God/religion a second chance if Christians were more like Christ?

Which version of Christ? Old Testament, New Testament? I ask because there is a HUGE difference between the two.

[edit on 5/10/09 by Rodeen]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
a professor I had in a sociology class in college told us that most people on death row are religious and there was only one professed atheist. I never researched it to see if it was true, but goes to show you, atheists can be very moral people. I am( I think)

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   

You forgot a linky that supports your argument...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Totalstranger
a professor I had in a sociology class in college told us that most people on death row are religious and there was only one professed atheist. I never researched it to see if it was true, but goes to show you, atheists can be very moral people. I am( I think)

That is 13th hour religious conversion, I would research your source, yes. Remember, MC Hammer only "found" Jesus and joined the 700 Club after he fell from grace/fame. It happens to everyone. Hit rock bottom, turn to a book and fairy tales, otherwise depression and sadness rule...a natural defense mechanism.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   

I'm not sure exactly what you expect in terms of research on a subject that has such personal philosophical implications. I suppose I could run through wikipedia and all the other usual fare, maybe even quote a few nifty lines i picked up online from an esoteric book that I never actually read, just so I could put my sophistry in the context of several other people's sophistry, but that wouldn't actually add any weight to what I had to say. Afterall, at the end of the day we're still dealing with an abstract philosophical subject that doesn't offer much in the way of objective and universal parameters. Even just asking the question implies certain assumptions that cannot be taken for granted (that we actually have any choice in our actions, that there is any meaningful impact to anything that happens, that we are not in fact one in the same with others [or that any of us really exist at all for that matter], and countless other assumptions).
So forgive me if it requires absolutely no research for me to tell you that as an athiest I do not agree on the Golden Rule.

(well, to be fair, I did read your post at least, and I did pick out this little gem, which would seem to suggest that some Christians disagree as well:

To live a life for God, CANNOT happen, without the living a life for OTHERS! Shame on immature Christians who think it’s all VERTICAL and ignore the HORIZONTAL!
)

Anyway, getting on to my own take on the subject at long last:
The golden rule is flawed and dangerous in that even while intending to advocate a positive relationship with others, it advises one to project their own perception and desires onto others and act accordingly without the input of the other party.
Shall I probe into the affairs of others simply because I would like them to take an interest in me (and if I did, would it not almost certainly backfire)?

So right off the bat it seems pretty clear that "do unto others as they would have you do unto them" makes a little more sense. But of course that one breaks down to, since it would obligate all of you to give me money and some of you to give me x-rated photographs.

Although highly flawed in its own right, at least "The whole of the law shall be do what thou will" will consistently allow us to both act and be treated as our own person, and not strictly according to someone else's concept of us- although no guarantee is made as to the positivity of the results.

Or better yet, we could use an old standby that my brothers and I used to hear from dad all the time: "leave eachother alone!"

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by PseudoAnonymous
...Or better yet, we could use an old standby that my brothers and I used to hear from dad all the time: "leave eachother alone!"

Thank you for your thought....

How is being ego-centric a good thing? And isn't is status quo friend?

OT

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rodeen

Which version of Christ? Old Testament, New Testament? I ask because there is a HUGE difference between the two.

[edit on 5/10/09 by Rodeen]

???? Confused????

Is JC in the OT directly?

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Orion65
Well, I'm an agnostic .....

What does AGNOSTIC mean to you friend? And WHY?

OT

[edit on 7-10-2009 by OldThinker]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Orion65
Well, I'm an agnostic .....

What does AGNOSTIC mean to you friend? And WHY?

OT

[edit on 7-10-2009 by OldThinker]

I was raised Catholic but after junior high school I stopped going to church. I believe in a Creator, or higher power, but I don't profess to know exactly what that means because it hasn't been revealed to me. I don't think you ever fully know until you "get there". I've researched various religions and there are many similarities. I don't believe in any one religion but I believe there is a basic fundamental truth to most religions, however I don't believe any one religion is any "better" than any other. And I think it's abhorrent that religion has been used to justify war and any other excuse for people to be inhumane to each other. I think that when we die our soul, or consciousness, goes on (or ascends). I keep an open mind about religion because a closed mind means you don't leave yourself open to new or improved ideas and/or revelations - whatever they may be.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Well said mate

Regardless of what we believe, we should all respect one anothers perspective on life

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join