It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you kill for your god?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by sicklecell
reply to post by miss_silver

Thank you for answering the question (you are the only one so far), i myself do not believe in god, however, if this scenario did occur, i would not abide by its wishes, that is the choice i would make.

Well see, this is where my beliefs in God are somewhat at odd. I do believe that there is a powerful force in the universe that is greater than the sum of us all but as far as to go worship him/her/it is just beyond me. There are some good and some bad in most religions.

Take the Jewish god's 10 commandment for example. It is mostly a great moral code which I try to model my life after, beside for the part that one shall only worship HIM. Jesus for example is all about love. Buddha is all about the middle path. Paganism/wicca is mostly about earth worship and what makes mother earth turns and sustain us. I pick and choose from a myriad of religion precepts to help me become a better human being.

To kill for a god because they asked you to would be no better than digging your own grave before being executed. It just doesn't make any sense at all. To kill, extinguish someones life is such an extreme that I feel that I would burn in the proverbial christian hell if I ever fell to such a scam.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
No I wouldn't Kill for or in the Name of GOD. The real person you have to fear is the person that not only will kill for his GOD but will also DIE for him. Me and my GOD are on pretty decent terms.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Well my lack of belief in a higher supernatural being would make me a hypocrite if I did. I won't deny anyone else their beliefs until they directly infringe upon my own. Killing them for not believing(or I guess it would be for believing in this case) is not acceptable.

I would however do my darnedest to kill all the true believers in whatever religion received such a command from their god(s).

If I kill all of them, they were wrong, because god wouldn't have allowed his/her/their chosen ones to be eradicated, therefore they were insane. If I'm smote, well I was going to be killed anyways by a religion of hate, at least I took out a chunk of those vile persons before going. Wouldn't want to spend eternity with those types anyways. We heathens throw much better parties.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet
reply to post by sicklecell

I wouldnt need to kill for my god, he could smoke you witha bat of an eye-) And I doubt he would test my resolve by telling me to take a way something like life. (in-laws) not wxcluded.

Is your god the god of the Bible?

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
If my "God" came down and told me to do such a thing I would call him the anti-Christ.

But for the sake of argument, if my God came down and told me to kill everyone who didn't believe then I would just lie down and wait to die because heaven, hell or wherever I'm going- it's going to suck.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I'd press the button that would smoke this whole existence, if it were his
will. So does that make me the bad guy or the good guy?

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to try and answer this question, i realize it is not very clear cut since everyone has different views as to what their god stands for.

But saying that, i cant see the logic in saying "god would not do this or that" since nobody knows what god would or would not do, and the gods of any religion are what man makes them to be.

And to say god wouldnt want his creations to destroy each other just doesnt make sense since it goes on everyday.
Looking the other way while his creations destroy each other isnt far removed from wanting his creations to destroy each other.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
yeah um hmm, your god don't want you to kill err ok. the crusades and christian knights was a myth!

if i had a god, i would naturally kill everyone if this was asked of me. but i would not die for my god, id go to war with him before this happen.

[edit on 6-10-2009 by DOADOA]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   

NO .

It is not in my nature to murder anyone, or anything unless in self defense, or defense of my family. And i wouldn't want anything to do with a God that would order me to murder people simply because they did not believe in him, or who would use that as a stipulation of my entering heaven.

Edit to fix spelling error.

[edit on 10/6/2009 by chise61]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I don't believe my God would ask me to take a life but yes I would kill for my God.

By the same token I would also die for my God.

Very deep question. I do have to be honest in my answer.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by craig732

My god is my god, God is the one and only God is my Alpha and Omega, God is the creator of the universe; God allowed for me to be born, God has a purpose for me on this planet, yet I don’t know what it is.

And no I don’t follow any of the water-downed religions today. I think organized religion is a crutch for weak feeble minded people.

I think Christianity has been usurped by the Catholic Church and water down in way that doesn’t make it drinkable.

I think Judaism is a fine religion, after all they were the "chosen ones" but they have become arrogant and have fallen out of Gods favor.

I think Islam is a fake made up religion due to Mohammed being one sick corrupt individual and Islam goes to show you that yes organized religion is for the weak and feeble minded.

The only way I will be truly soled on the whole Jesus thing is when the prediction of the Armies of GOG and MAGOG attack Israel, with all of there weapons and all of there armies, and god crushes them completely destroys there armies and not one Israeli is killed. That’s when I will by the Messiah hook line and sinker. But until that day comes I do what I need to do to survive.

Remember the Bible was written by man, and edited by man over 4000 years, Gods words may have been lost or re-written as we seen with the Catholic churches re wording of the New Testament.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
This is an interesting question. Here is my answer.

To kill another IS to kill God. We are all a part of the one. Like many many pieces of the same puzzle. In that way we harm ourselves. Mankind will figure this out before we advance. I think it is likely the end result of the Entanglement Theories in Quantum science will be this.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

Just curious as to what your motivation to kill would be.

Would you be killing these people because they did not believe in your God, so that you would be able to enter heaven, or just because God ordered you to do it ?

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Sounds like sombody studies Kierkegaard, and has read Fear and trembling. I for one do not belive in god however if I did, I still could not kill for a god. To do so would be unethical. If your god asked you to sin in his name how could he be a just god? There is no teological suspension of the ethical, in doing so you are still condeming yourself in the name of a supreme entity. How can a god that asks you of such things deserve worship. I guess I just answered Problema 1. and 2. there is no absolute duty to god.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
No, I would destroy for the highest born 1, killing is of the flesh AND IS WHAT NATAS AND HIS FOLLOWERS DO. I WOULD DESTROY FOR THE HIGHEST BORN 1z KINGDOM TO BE RID OF PESTILENCE AND SPACE BUGS THAT HAVE INFESTED IT.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
If I knew with absolute certainty that God existed and with absolute certainty that I needed to kill to get to heaven or else be faced with eternal damnation...well...I wouldn't have much of a choice would I? No human life is worth eternal suffering. I'm glad we live in a world where reason keeps people from believing things with absolute certainty.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   

For all you religious folks, it's a hypothetical question.

*if* God had told you that you had to kill all non-believers, would you do it?

Simple yes or no answer is sufficient here. I really dislike the let's redefine God approach to answer this very simple and very interesting question. The biblical God *where all monotheistic concepts of God is born from* does indeed ask you to kill non-believers. So, you either believe in him or your redefining him and bound to eternal hell.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join