It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confessions of a Racist

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Umbra Sideralis

Dear friend, first it looks to me that you are mixing 2 huge diferent things...IMO you are not a racist, but have instead a mental disorder normaly related to the Phobia realm. In this case it look's you suffer from a severe case of Xenophobia!
There are at the least 2 diferent types of xenophobia, one it is just the result of a normal point of view about a race/colors/etc,but anyone can live with it, quite normal.
The other type is in the realm of the mental disorders. And it can really suffocate you, and be the reason for some hard issues on your life.
In your case i think that the best advice i can give you it's to try to find a good mental health professional such as a psychiatrist or psychologist, especilaized on phobia treatments.
I wish you the best mate!

[edit on 6/10/09 by Umbra Sideralis]

Thank you very much for contributing, friend. You know, to be completely honest, I hadn't even THOUGHT about it being a REAL mental illness. Don't get me wrong, I usually think ANY 'malfunction' or what I would perceive as a malfunction is an illness.

One of the things that I find really odd, is that I want to DENY that it's a 'fear.' After having some reasonable success with some other addiction issues, I can certainly understand the danger of denial.

I really appreciate your input, friend, and your honest suggestion.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by fapython

Thank you for contributing your thoughtful and restrained response.

I have no issue with a 'people' having a 'homeland.' It gets difficult for me to determine where my homeland is supposed to be. The land I live in now was one of many spoils of conquest.

I agree that watering down of individual cultures is a huge issue and I see many nations losing their own identity in the name of political correctness. I don't argue that it is a negative trend that has the potential to rob people of their heritage.

There have been some incredibly insightful and thoughtful responses to this thread. Many people seem to feel that the current 'political correctness' is really more the outward expression of generations worth of guilt. They call it 'white guilt.' I don't know that I feel guilty about it, but when I judge someone, based on appearance, I can't escape the feeling that it's hateful. It's the hate, or perceived hate that bothers me.

I firmly believe that a culture should be allowed to thrive and to pass their culture on to subsequent generations. I also feel pretty strongly that it can be accomplished WITHIN the framework of cooperation and respect for each others culture.

I don't eat 'Chitlins,' but I have no right to demean someone else for that choice.

I am always guilty of oversimplifying, but I have a hard time believing that as long as very strong cultural differences exist, that we will be capable of any lasting peace on this planet.

Do you think that complete segregation of races onto different continents would be sufficient to allow for the peaceful coexistence of all races?

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I disagree with you.

Clearly he does have these thoughts, even now.

What he shows us is he realizes it and neither speaks nor acts on it.

Isn't the definition of a hero is someone who is scared, but does what he must through it.

He realizes his faults and makes a conscious effort to avoid it.

What more can you ask of the guy?

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by whitewave

OP, are you sure you ARE racist or do you just have personal preferences that you've been told are not politically correct? There IS a difference.

I prefer the company of those able to think outside the box, those able to laugh at themselves while still maintaining their self-esteem, those with a kind heart, strong work ethic, and a personal sense of honor. If those CHARACTER TRAITS come in a package differently shaded than mine then viva la petite difference!

I appreciate your response and your giving me something else to consider. I spend a good deal of time arguing things to myself and that might be the first problem. :p

The line gets pretty blurry for me between 'preference' and 'bias.'

I've been digging in to this a lot further with the help of you folks' questions and prodding.

I made up a scenario in my head last night to try and help me understand:

There are three people standing in front of me. One black, one white and the other hispanic. All male, all equal height all presentable and well-groomed.

If I have a business deal to make and I can only choose one of these guys, which one will I choose? Why?

The answer to the first part popped into my head instantly...'well, the white guy, of course.' the trying to understand why, if it were not for bias, has eluded me.

Do you feel that in that scenario, there are justifiable, acceptable reasons for a person to pick their own skin color? Would this be based more on nationalism, culture, or prejudice?

When I can make a judgement or decision based on skin color, I can't help but think that it's racist. I don't like it and so I'm here...and indeed so are you.

I don't like labels, I really don't but the use of that one, on myself, is something I felt I had to throw out there. I feel I make judgement and assumptions based on race. Given my life up to this point, those have almost always been negative.

To answer your question honestly, I don't know. I have made many attempts to understand what it is I think and why I do, and how to change it if I don't like it, and this is more of that same effort.

Someone told me it sounds more like xenophobia than racism. What do YOU think it sounds like?

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Yes, you must face the horrible facts, KS.

You are human and as such are not perfect.

You actively try to be a good person, in spite of your upbringing.

The fact you actively think about this and try your best to avoid it, says much about you.
(In a good way)

Are you perfect, NO!

Do you consciously try to be the best person you can be, seems to me the answer is yes.

Again, what more can be asked of you?

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by spaceman84
Racism is part of human nature. You may deny your racist but it will slip through. I have done and said many racist things, well things people would deem racist. I have also said some stuff that has nothing to do with race and was called a racist anyway. Its mostly over Obama topics. Not just on ATS either. Its every where.

Its in humans nature to stick to thier own kind. To only care about thier own kind. Evolutionist say we evolved from animals, well thats a very animal trait. Animals display this everyday. Im not backing up the evolution theory mind you.

Just look at other races, not just whites. Obama talks of social justice. Well what do you think that is? Its him making sure other people in his race make it to the top. Because we all know black guys like Obama see whites, particularly males as the "big mean oppressors". That in itself is racist.

I prefer to stick to my own kind (whites). I dont find that to be the least bit racist. It just means you have a preference. I dont date outside my race either. I mean what could I have in common with other black males my age. We wouldnt be interested in the same stuff, music or anything. They would cringe at the first Ozzy, Black sabbath, AC/DC or Led Zeppelin song.

The problems will start and have started with the people who want to make us all "get along". It just isnt going to happen. Nice idea, but it wont happen. No one race will ever want to share top spot with the other. Thats why it wont work. There is way to much paranoia.

I appreciate your honesty, spaceman, and what I feel is a very accurate representation of the difficulties we face a s a people.

Preference, again, is great and well, provided I don't turn it into bias. I worked for a black man at a clothing store on time. He enjoyed the 'Yes' album 90125, like I did. Sometimes things can transcend racial or cultural lines. If I make the assumption that a person couldn't possibly have similar interests, because we are a different color, I think I have just exercised bias and allowed my racism, which is by many accounts, natural, to have dominion over my actions.

I realize that many people get upset when they hear about some fruitcake wanting everyone to 'get along.' What is an alternative to that, my friend? Mutual annihilation? How can we ever expect to progress as a race of people?

I appreciate your input, my friend.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
Yes, you must face the horrible facts, KS.

You are human and as such are not perfect.

You actively try to be a good person, in spite of your upbringing.

The fact you actively think about this and try your best to avoid it, says much about you.
(In a good way)

Are you perfect, NO!

Do you consciously try to be the best person you can be, seems to me the answer is yes.

Again, what more can be asked of you?

Thanks, Monsoon. Despite what some would say, I'm not really here for a pep rally, or cheer leading, though I appreciate your support.

The underlying question for me, is this:

I know I have these tendencies. I recognize them, I fight them, I want to change them. How can I become a person that is unhindered by these thoughts? How do I think the RIGHT thought the first time without having to drown out negativity in my own mind?

I have never burned a cross, have never written racial slurs on someone's garage door, never been to a lynching or any of those other things that would be the 'slam dunk' indicators of a fervent racist, but bias exists in my thoughts. Do you think there are different 'degrees' of racism?

I'm really not trying to be difficult my friend, and I appreciate your contribution.

When I say 'what more could be ASKED of me?' I fear with every fiber of my being that this is a blanket for me to hide behind. "i'm a lot better than I USED to be...' You see what I'm saying? Where is the line that we cross that we no longer have to attempt change? When we have nothing left to change?

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

I guess that depends on what system of religious or moral beliefs you hold to. In my case , when I have real trouble with one of my less endearing character traits (furious hatred of xenophobes) I turn to God. I find I get in less fights with the local idiot brigade that way .
Also you could try actively seeking out folk who have been affected by serious racial abuse, and trying to help them in some way . Or you could just keep doing what you are doing . Analyse yourself a little every now and again , get some advice when you get confused, and just remember that everything in the universe is a learning curve

[edit on 6-10-2009 by TrueBrit]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit

I guess that depends on what system of religious or moral beliefs you hold to. In my case , when I have real trouble with one of my less endearing character traits (furious hatred of xenophobes) I turn to God. I find I get in less fights with the local idiot brigade that way .

How long does it take you to turn to your God for help? Has that become almost instant yet?

You guys teach me, much to my chagrin, to question ALL of my beliefs. I'm real interested to hear more about your faith, but I will pursue other avenues.

Thank you.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   

To be fair, when I turn to God for some support on a subject, its got to have been on my mind a fair while. I mean I guess its different for everyone ... And I have met some very rascist christians in my time so I cant say it works for everyone every time .
I think at the end of the day , if you are already being affected by your own morality , and that that morality is telling you something isnt right with you , then you are already far ahead of some folks in your position. You just keep listening to your moral voice, it obviously knows right from wrong, so just let the word be spoken , and listen to it .

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Bleh, this thread has gotten me thinking about this topic all day now!

When I was younger I was walking down the street with my cousin and a group of blacks and hispanics decided to 'jump' me because they said I was on their 'turf'. As far as I'm concerned, F* people like that. Welcome to america folks, don't like our laws get the hell out. I don't fight, so I had to take a beating from about 8 men much bigger than me at the time all because I was ... walking down a street.

This is what I would consider my first brush with racial thoughts. That was also the beginning of how I came to loath that ghetto rap crap music as well. How childish and retarded does someone have to be to beat up a kid for walking down the street just because they are white? They were told the cops were on their way, only to later find out the cops never came and hardly ever went down that street because of those thugs.

My sister-in-law's boyfriend is white, but he's no different than the ghetto gang people. He's not stupid, but the lifestyle that goes with it makes him appear dumb, slow and a bit retarded. He's into drugs and prides himself on beating up people for no reason. So, I honestly don't know if it's because of the race or if it's the negative behavior of the group of people I encounter that ruins it for the rest.

I know some people considered whites as bad because of the whole slavery issue. My response to that is, I've never owned a slave so piss off on the subject and you were never a slave. Besides, my ancestral decent is German, AFIK they went after the Jews, not blacks.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by fapython
Does a people not have a right to their own homeland ?

The so called victims of "racism" and "minorities" had their lands colonised and they, with the communists and fellow followers of marx hated it and fought for it to end, and yet, White people in all their countries in the west are just suppose to accept colonisation of our lands ?

Do we not have a right to our own culture ? we are drowned in this ill-thought out enforced culture of Multiculturalism. This culture is nothing but an erosion of the cultures that we had for centuries. When one travels, they do so to see other nations cultures and sites, and yet if one goes to a White country, then they will only see a cosmopolitan culture. Within a few decades the antique buildings and relics which represent our cultures will be gone.

The liberals and communists spurt out slogans of strength through diversity, and immigrants are a boon to our society's and yet, when the facts come out, it shows that these people are spurting out nothing but lies. Britain alone lost afew billion pounds last year due to immigrants sending their money home.

Every person of colour in this world has a homeland for their own people, be it China for the chinese, Japan for the Japanese, India for the indians, Saudi Arabia for the Arabs, Africa for the africans, Mexico for the mexicans; and yet, Western countries AKA White countries are for everyone ? . Please Explain how that in any way is fair.

It is resonable to state that any people would show dislike and distaste to another race which is dispossesing their own people . Look at how the Africans see and treat the Whites in Africa, especially South Africa and Rhodesia (Zimbabwe). Or how the Indians and pakistani's acted when the British where in their country.

This is the best reply in this entire thread.

Bravo!!!

Mod Note: One Line and Short Posts – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 6-10-2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
My faith teaches me that mankind is one...that the planet is one and that if we are to move forward in any positive way we have to put prejudice for nation or race behind us because prejudice will merely prolong the hatred and bloodletting. We have been taught that we are as the leaves of one tree and that while it is good for a man to love his country it is better to love his planet more.

I am a Baha'i'. And while I do not live up to all its principles...I try.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Dukesy

Sorry to hear about your job. I'd be also angry about AA. It sucks.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Here's a study you might find interesting, it's called babies are racist. There have been many studies done on toddlers and children that find that even when they come from colorblind parents it's natural to be afraid of people that are different. www.royalgenes.com...

Something I think gets confused with racism is for example, I'm driving and get lost in a side of town that's predominantly black. There are a group of twenty or so 15 to 30 year old males in a group wearing gang attire hanging out in front of a local store. I guarantee you no matter how thirsty I am, I won't be stopping there for a soda. That does not make me a racist.

S&F

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Sundancer

Being afraid of someone who looks different does not make them a racist...that is faulty logic.

Being racist is not just a matter of bigotry but it is also a matter of investing in and supporting the institutional racism.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I would like to share a story that I think validates some of the racism. Maybe validates is the wrong word, but it certainly makes it easier to understand. I went to a public school in the south-eastern united states. In an area where at least about half of our school system was black. I can honestly say that during those years I had never been as disgusted with the media and accusations of hate based on skin color alone. It was literally impossible to learn anything during my middle to highschool years. I'll try to make this as politically correct as possible, but the blacks were simply intolerable. The teachers spent 70+ percent of their time attempting to keep those guys from generally screwing the entire experience up for everyone. They would constantly act up, start fights, simulate sex acts in the middle of the lunch room. Intimidation was rampant, and if you ever said anything about it or fought back you were immediatly branded as "the racist". The police were called to our school so much that the county finally gave us 5, count that 5, resource officers that did nothing but walk around the school breaking up various activities. Remember, this was in a very small southern town. Drug dogs were brought through at least twice a week, and the gang unit was seen around once a month. I ended up learning everything I knew at home, after school; as it was impossible to even ask a question in the classroom without immediate taunts and whooping from the "thug life" portion of our classmates. I sincerely believe it is part of the culture of allowing black kids to get away with whatever they want simply because they are black. I saw teachers being accused of racism for asking a kid that was openly disrupting the class to go to detention. We have some serious problems with the education system in our country that I believe could be solved with some serious reformations of the way minorities are coddled and treated. Hopefully I won't be accused of being some sort of ultra-right wing racist fascist for writing about my experiences, but it's likely inevitable. All of this "tolerance" does nothing but degrades society to a disgusting level of violent tribalism that is left uninhibited by the leftist ideologies of so-called "multiculturalism".

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by 222938

I've had similar experiences with my high school with similar results. I ended up dropping out in the ninth grade because the hispanics were stabbing each other because some guy looked at 'his girl'. Screw that, I love checking out the ladies and I'll be damned if I'm going to get stabbed for it, so I left got my GED six months later at a twelfth grade level.

Now the place is riddled with gangs and cops up the yahoo. Thankfully I'm in a different town with a much, much better school system that doesn't tolerate that behavior. Hopefully the three of my kids will never have to deal with the same garbage I had dealt with as a kid.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by 222938

I'm glad you stopped by and I appreciate you sharing your experience. Your story reads like a deifinte advertisement against 'integration.' It's not my place to judge that, but I was hoping to get a little more insight into this:

All of this "tolerance" does nothing but degrades society to a disgusting level of violent tribalism that is left uninhibited by the leftist ideologies of so-called "multiculturalism".

It would seem to me that your experiences have taught you, and understandably so, IMO, that integration not always possible and that sometime what we end up with is chaos created by our attempts to combine different peoples into homogeneous groups. Is that a safe interpretation?

I think it's pretty obvious that, whether I approve or not, the world will continue on it's quest towards the 'equalization' (for lack of better term) of the different cultures.

In some cultures it's ok to drink. In others it's not. If I live in a culture where drinking is prohibited, I have to be able to NOT DRINK in that culture, or face consequences. I hate consequences.

Using that loose logic, do you think that if we buck the trend, so to speak, of equalization, that we are in fact not being responsible world citizens? I mean, it's obvious that if you have very, very strong nationalistic, or culturally biased actions that, there will be repercussions. I don't agree with it fully, but that's life, right?

Do you think we're stuck?

[edit on 6-10-2009 by KSPigpen]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
As the daughter of immigrants, and a U.S. citizen, I find it ironic that one would perceive the immigrants as invading your homeland and ruining your country, considering that most of the countries these immigrants come from are former colonies of first world countries like the US the UK and France. Read about the history of U.S. foreign policy in Haiti, Dominican Republic, and most Latin American countries over the past 100 years. That'll tell you all you need to know why we have an immigrant problem in the first place. For people living in the UK and France, you're dealing with different former colonies, but the sample principle applies.

Had these "third world" countries not been ruthlessly exploited for their resources and left to rot, maybe these immigrants wouldn't have had a reason to leave in the first place.. Think about it. Who in their right mind would move thousands of miles away from home, away from their families, their native customs and language to start over again in a foreign country without a compelling reason? You think that poor guy from Mexico traipsing through the desert with only the clothes on his back is doing it for kicks and giggles?

And now the first world citizens cry and complain about their jobs being shipped to Third World nations, and about how immigrants ruining their country/state/neighborhood, taking their frustrations out on the easily identifiable target: the dark guy with the funny accent and the weird clothes. That's because the PTB have already sucked the juices out of the Third World and have now set their sights on the first.

Originally posted by SpaceMonkeys

Originally posted by winterass
You mean the same elite that forced mass-immigration into my land

yes and we have the same problem back in the UK. But realise the immigrants are brought here to control us, to divide up society. And how many people had prejudice thoughts every time they went on a plane and saw someone middle eastern after 9/11? They try to keep us living in fear of each other, dont allow the elites to control you, we should celebrate our differences because every single one of us is different.

trimmed triple-nested quote.

Please read Warnings for excessive quoting, and how to quote

[edit on 5/10/09 by masqua]

[edit on 6-10-2009 by diabolique]

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join