Confessions of a Racist

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

Classic White Guilt Syndrome. Did the election of Mr. Obama do anything to quell some of your "White Guilt?" Did it make you feel better about yourself? One of Mr. Obama's czars encourages white people to give up their jobs to minorities. Do you believe this is appropriate? How far would you go to make ammends?

That's a disturbing statement you just made. What exactly are you trying to get across here or am I just not reading this right?

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

while I basically agree with you, I don't know that KSPigpen will ever totally be able to shake it completely. As much as you wanna think you can control everything in yer life, some stuff you are just hard wired for. For example, KSPigpen had mentioned that he learned some Spanish, he will never be able to speak it with a perfect Spanish accent. Even if he learns every word and all the grammar, his accent will never be perfect. You simply cannot have a perfect indistinguishable accent in multiple languages unless you learn them before puberty.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
reply to post by KSPigpen

Classic White Guilt Syndrome.

Did the election of Mr. Obama do anything to quell some of your "White Guilt?"
Did it make you feel better about yourself?
One of Mr. Obama's czars encourages white people to give up their jobs to minorities.
Do you believe this is appropriate? How far would you go to make ammends?

Although I should probably take some solace in your diagnosis of my 'classic' problem, I don't really feel 'guilty' about it. What I feel is disturbed that the bias exists within myself. I don't feel guilty that someone's relative did something they shouldn't have to someone else some time ago. This, unfortunately is much more selfish for me.

I really don't care much for Obama, but this has nothing to do with his being elected. I didn't vote for him. If I was feeling so guilty, I probably WOULD have, huh?

I have never been a fan of 'affirmative action.' ...ever. I have always felt that the most qualified person should fill the position, regardless of color.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen
It's not self-loathing that leads me down this road, but an attempt at greater self love. I don't think I can truly love others until I can love myself and I don't feel as though I can progress further in my goals until I have learned how to unlearn what I know is wrong.

This may not help, in fact it probably won't, but my attitude to anything like racism, is to realise that I have those feelings or reactions and then to accept that it is my problem. Some things are so deeply entrenched in your psyche that they cannot be removed, but by realising that the problem is with you and not 'them' you can learn to live with yourself and your prejudice. It's not a big deal as long as you don't inflict it on others and don't allow it to influence your actions, which you clearly don't. Give yourself a break.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
There seems to be a fine line between racism and stereotyping. It is only natural to stereotype people because our brains don't have time to get to know every person we come across on a personal level.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176

Classic White Guilt Syndrome. Did the election of Mr. Obama do anything to quell some of your "White Guilt?" Did it make you feel better about yourself? One of Mr. Obama's czars encourages white people to give up their jobs to minorities. Do you believe this is appropriate? How far would you go to make ammends?

That's a disturbing statement you just made. What exactly are you trying to get across here or am I just not reading this right?

Not as disturbing as an earlier statement by you.

My whole life I was surrounded by racists...closet racists...which many people are. Many of the people who criticize Obama are...although certainly not everyone. After awhile you can see who those people are on ATS that are closet racists.

White Guilt played a huge part in Mr. Obama's election. They ignored all the facts about this guy and voted for him because of his race. Any regular John Doe with Mr. Obama's inexperience would have been laughed out of town. The OP has come out and admitted he felt guilty about his past, and I simply wanted to know if he felt better, like many, about the election of Mr. Obama.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   

White Guilt played a huge part in Mr. Obama's election. They ignored all the facts about this guy and voted for him because of his race.

I'm sure there are those who voted for Obama because of his race, just as there are those who criticize him because of his race.

The OP has come out and admitted he felt guilty about his past

He did not. You are the first and only person to talk about guilt of any kind.

I don't appreciate you hijacking this fine thread with your dirty, ugly, political agenda. How you can say that white guilt played a huge part in Obama's election and then out of the same mouth, deny that racism plays a part in criticism of him is the most hypocritical thought perpetrated today. [snip]

removed personal attack

[edit on 6/10/09 by masqua]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Hi KSPigpen

I grew up in Texas as well in a racist family. We weren't around many races except white back then.

I recall when I was 12 my grandmother told me we were better than blacks. I rebelled at this and asked her why and said they were as good as us.

Now I had no idea at the time why I would have instinctively rejected such a thought but as I have gotten older I now think it was a lesson learned in a previous lifetime.

Well, I haven't gotten it perfect in this life either because I have a tendency to stereotype and like you, I know better. I don't berate myself for this, just accept that I am growing,learning and still making mistakes.

If perfection exists, I think it takes many lifetimes and the best thing to do is just accept yourself for where you are and when you become aware of a slip up, try again.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176

Not as disturbing as an earlier statement by you.

My whole life I was surrounded by racists...closet racists...which many people are. Many of the people who criticize Obama are...although certainly not everyone. After awhile you can see who those people are on ATS that are closet racists.

White Guilt played a huge part in Mr. Obama's election. They ignored all the facts about this guy and voted for him because of his race. Any regular John Doe with Mr. Obama's inexperience would have been laughed out of town. The OP has come out and admitted he felt guilty about his past, and I simply wanted to know if he felt better, like many, about the election of Mr. Obama.

Cut it out. This isn't about bashing the president or smooching the president's rump. There are other threads for that, or you can start one. Try to keep it on topic guys and gals. I do not wish to take part in another political debate. I don't get the connection, so please, keep your personal political views out of it.

Please, RR, if you insist on this line of discussion, quote my Op where I claim to feel 'guilt.' If you can't, move along. Near as I can tell, the word 'guilt' was first used by you.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Wow. You are reading alot into what the OP said and doing a good job of stereotyping based on your own bias.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by liveandlearn

RRConservative proved himself to be a racist is what he did.

He just accused any "white" person who voted for Obama only did it out of guilt.

It doesn't get any more blatant than that.

He made the real confession in this thread.

[edit on 5-10-2009 by David9176]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
So, let's just... not feed the troll, how about that?

An interesting article for the OP: Racist Like Me

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I have figured out that I am not a rascist but simply a bigot. I am okay with that. I can not stand other races cultures. I want all countries divided by race and you know darn well which countries will excel and which ones will not. I can not stand adultry and by that I mean adulterating the races. I am proud to be an Anglo Saxxon (angel blessed son of Isaac). I do not believe that the white race is superior to any other race but I am proud of our culture and our achievements throughout history. I am sick and tired of everyone thinking that we have to conform to everyone elses culture. If you don't like the culture of the white man then go back to whichever country you came from. This country has led the world in achievements and the whole world has been blessed because of it. The rest of the coutries have prospered with us, because of us. No I am not sorry to be white.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColdSteel
I have figured out that I am not a rascist but simply a bigot. I am okay with that. I can not stand other races cultures. I want all countries divided by race and you know darn well which countries will excel and which ones will not. I can not stand adultry and by that I mean adulterating the races. I am proud to be an Anglo Saxxon (angel blessed son of Isaac). I do not believe that the white race is superior to any other race but I am proud of our culture and our achievements throughout history. I am sick and tired of everyone thinking that we have to conform to everyone elses culture. If you don't like the culture of the white man then go back to whichever country you came from. This country has led the world in achievements and the whole world has been blessed because of it. The rest of the coutries have prospered with us, because of us. No I am not sorry to be white.

I don't think you SHOULD be sorry to be white, my friend. I don't think anyone should be sorry of what they are. Your struggles are your own, as mine are my own. I have no problem with bigotry in someone else, or your pride in your skin color, they're not really my problem.

Yes, this country has done very well for itself. Without tooting the horn of any particular race, it is almost impossible to speak of technological advancements in this nation or any other without giving credit to the diverse peoples that made that progress possible.

I applaud your ability to vocalize your beliefs intelligibly. I may not agree with you, but heck, I don't have to.

It would be impossible for me to 'go back to the country I came from' or it would be a very short trip. German, Irish, French and Comanche make up equal parts of MY white skin.

Thanks for your contribution.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun

Taboos define your weaknesses.

I've heard it put another way, Drums. 'Our secrets keep us sick.'

I really appreciate your input.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by locster

You just need to get the programming out of your system. Because thats what it is, you recognised this outdated program running in the back of your mind, and its not you.

Thanks, Locster. I have a difficult time not associating my thoughts with what I actually AM. I think I'm going to have to work on that. For some reason I think that if I think something, I have given myself permission to do so...that leads to some problems. Maybe it's as easy as separating my person from occasional thoughts. That completely shakes up what I believe and I appreciate you lighting that fire for me.

Thank you.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Classic White Guilt Syndrome.

Did the election of Mr. Obama do anything to quell some of your "White Guilt?"
Did it make you feel better about yourself?
One of Mr. Obama's czars encourages white people to give up their jobs to minorities.
Do you believe this is appropriate? How far would you go to make ammends?

He never said he had any "white guilt." He never said he would make amends.

You are setting up a straw man argument and somehow, for some reason, trying to claim this as you own.

This is KS' thread and if all you are going to do is insinuate that it's "white guilt" to realize that treating your fellow man different based on his skin color is wrong, then maybe you need some white guilt of your own so you can try and be a better person too.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

I always appreciate your input, David.

People are always looking for a way to diminish another...sometimes I think it has to do with primal instinct.
The only thing that will cure racism in this country is time....if ever. It still hasn't been that long since the civil rights movement either. This country has a long time before it can heal.

This is both reassuring and depressing at the same time.
I can accept that for whatever reason, I have adopted over my long life, biased opinions that need to be dissolved...I don't HAVE to hunt woolly mammoths anymore...but I still need to eat.

man I hate waiting...I don't know why I would think this would be any different. Some of the hardest things I have ever done have taken me years to walk through. Patience, I suppose.

I'm just really reluctant to 'accept' a perceived fault in myself. I know I can't achieve perfection, but I think I have a duty to work on something that I feel is dragging me down....the house fire was put out quite a while back for me, but I still have to around and stomp out the embers...

Thank you very much....for your input and your patience.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

You are very welcome!

I am glad you understand what i mean.
Thoughts and impulses are just that, they don't make you what you truly are.
You recognised the program running in the background, that's half the battle.
And it IS as easy as seperating yourself from those occasional thoughts, they were not really part of you to begin with.

Good luck my friend!

[edit on 5/10/09 by locster]

[edit on 5/10/09 by locster]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by spiritwomyn

I am looking very forward to hearing more about this. Don't forget about me.

I really appreciate the relaying of your personal experience. If you've made progress, I really want to know how. Really.

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join