It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confessions of a Racist

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
the funny part of all this is the never mentioned alongside ethicism, Elitism, classism
a big part of many racial tensions is based on elitism especially these days.
As i have gotten older, and seen the 'credit disaster' happen in this country it has highlighted that evveryone want to be in the same socio economic class to hide all showing of what would be race or a very delicate ethnic difference.
remeber how hard it was for Irish and Italians in the early 20th century... and now italians and irish eh brotherly rivalry is all thats left.
now its Mexicans vs. 'white america' (i use mexican over Hispanic as the terms is too broad, and in all honesty it is not a racial problem but a National-ethnic- classist issue with people from that country over (but not excluding) other countries where they speak a latin derived languge be it brazil or south america in toto.)

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpacePunk

Originally posted by KSPigpen

Do you think. my friend, that not only with me, but with others, that this is a permanent condition?

Absolutely. It's a permanent condition for all humans from birth to death. Probably for all animals. Our reaction to it can be controlled, but it will never go away.

So will it end badly, my friend? Do you think self-restraint or control is an attainable goal for us? Do you think it's worth it?

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen

Originally posted by RRokkyy

Originally posted by Nichiren
reply to post by RRokkyy

Please do tell what this thread is really about. I'm all ears.

NARCISSUS

Second line.
Third line for extra protection.

Are you saying this is about Narcissism, RRocky? I've been dense before. Am I somehow staring at my own reflection in a pool, so enamored that I'm going to die there? The gay son of a nymph? Please elaborate.

Narcissus must die!
That is the Law! None escape!

“Not to go on all-fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men? “Not to suck up Drink; that is the Law. Are we not Men? “Not to eat Fish or Flesh; that is the Law. Are we not Men? “Not to claw the Bark of Trees; that is the Law. Are we not Men? “Not to chase other Men; that is the Law. Are we not Men?”

“Evil are the punishments of those who break the Law. None escape.” “None escape,” said the Beast Folk, glancing furtively at one another.
“For every one the want that is bad,” said the grey Sayer of the Law. “What you will want we do not know; we shall know. Some want to follow things that move, to watch and slink and wait and spring; to kill and bite, bite deep and rich, sucking the blood. It is bad. ‘Not to chase other Men; that is the Law. Are we not Men? Not to eat Flesh or Fish; that is the Law. Are we not Men?’”

So you have this sense of suffering and what do you do? You meditate on it. You concentrate on it. You study it. You fall in love with it or hate it, but it is only your reflection in the pond of Narcissus.
The Law is to Understand what you are doing. Nothing more or less.
Neither Animal nor Divine you are caught halfway between the gutter and the stars. Awkward isnt it?

It is written in the Upanishads that as soon as an Other is noticed, as soon as there is an Other there is Fear. Thus your primal nature is Fear.
That is what You are. You are essentially just FEAR.
There is really no YOU. JUst this FEAR. Yes, with enough distractions you can for a time forget it. But this FEAR is constricting everything about you, down to every cell in your body.
This FEAR is the duality of subject/object that you create in EVERY moment by meditating on it at your pond. Prior to this creation of FEAR there is only INFINITE LOVE BLISS, aka God.
The functions of Mind,Identity,Differentiation,Desire arise as part of the Body/Mind but you in your state of Fear have Identified with them and now believe yourself to be them. Then you try and escape them when they distress you. But the very action of trying to escape reinforces the prison of the Self Sense.
Simply observe yourself and see that you are always meditating on yourself creating this imaginary Narcissus/Ego. When this observation becomes profound you may fall spontaneously into that which is prior to this self meditation. That moment is Radical Understanding. In that moment you see that you are no longer,"AVOIDING BEING ALREADY ENTIRELY IN RELATIONSHIP'. You are one with everything in NonDUality. In Reality there are no separate beings,there never have been and there never will be. There is only INFINITE CONSCIOUSNESS.

Of course there are stages to this and while many are called few are chosen.

Thus spirituality doesnt deal with racism. It deals with the uncomfortable feelings that motivate a person to eliminate them.

Just take the red pill,(below) if you dare.

[edit on 6-10-2009 by RRokkyy]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

"Where do I go from here?" is a very good question. I've considered quitting my job because this bothers me so much. Common sense tell me that it is situational and that it is not the norm of everyday life everywhere, but for now this is where I live. I'm discouraged but I haven't given up. I usually have a strong faith but here of late it has taken a beating as well. So, I just continue to work on it.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by RRokkyy

It is written in the Upanishads that as soon as an Other is noticed, as soon as there is an Other there is Fear. Thus your primal nature is Fear.
That is what You are. You are essentially just FEAR.
There is really no YOU. JUst this FEAR. Yes, with enough distractions you can for a time forget it. But this FEAR is constricting everything about you, down to every cell in your body.
This FEAR is the duality of subject/object that you create in EVERY moment by meditating on it at your pond. Prior to this creation of FEAR there is only INFINITE LOVE BLISS, aka God.
The functions of Mind,Identity,Differentiation,Desire arise as part of the Body/Mind but you in your state of Fear have Identified with them and now believe yourself to be them. Then you try and escape them when they distress you. But the very action of trying to escape reinforces the prison of the Self Sense.
Simply observe yourself and see that you are always meditating on yourself creating this imaginary Narcissus/Ego. When this observation becomes profound you may fall spontaneously into that which is prior to this self meditation. That moment is Radical Understanding. In that moment you see that you are no longer,"AVOIDING BEING ALREADY ENTIRELY IN RELATIONSHIP'. You are one with everything in NonDUality. In Reality there are no separate beings,there never have been and there never will be. There is only INFINITE CONSCIOUSNESS.

I thank you, my friend, for elaborating. You have given more of yourself that I would have expected, and my expectations are often unrealistic.

I cannot pretend to understand what you have written. It speaks to something in me but there is much rebellion internally at your words.

Fear, I can understand, or at least believe that I can. It has been my friend for many, many years. Fear, being labeled as something else is also something that resonates with me.

Seeing the truth in your words will take me time. Your generosity has overwhelmed me, where at first, I would throw a stick at you for accusing me of mislabeling my fear. You could have just simply walked by without so much as offering your opinions. You have done a great service.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I don't consider myself a racist, but I admit I am more comfortable among people of my own "type". But that isn't always based on "race" (whatever we mean by the word). I just feel more at ease with people who come from a similar background as I did.

So, I might feel awkward among Black people, but I also feel awkward among White people who were, say, raised in the South or in a rural area. I'm a White city boy.

Now, just because I feel more comfortable among my own "type", doesn't mean I only hang out with them. I talk to everyone who treats me with respect. I may feel a little uncomfortable, but that's how I learn about other people - hang out with them. Anyone who treats me with respect, I return that respect. If they don't, I walk away. Oh, yeah - and if someone expresses racist notions, I walk away, no matter whose type they might be. I've got about zero tolerance for people putting other people down.

As for you, OP, I would say that the answer is to keep observing yourself, and keep working on it. Given your background, you may always have a bit of BS in you that pops up now and then. I think the point isn't necessarily to completely remove old attitudes, but more to oppose them if and when they arise. No one is perfect. Everyone's got something they need to struggle against. The important thing is to struggle against it, and not just accept it. IMNSHO, anyway...

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

The only people that should be blamed for the election of Mr. Obama are those that voted for the moron, Bush, not once, but twice??!! I would have voted for a spiked haired delinquent so long as it wasn't a Republican. So those that voted for Bush, go and look in the mirror right now and ask yourself:" what was I thinking?"and " what did I expect of the recent election ?"
As for KSPigpen:
Sir, you talk like a person that has matured and grown in the right way. You give me hope. You seem to have the guts for self-evaluation and the wisdom to recognize the foolishness that is racism. I commend you. There will be residual emotions. I have caught myself thinking racist thoughts myself and corrected it. We are after all human. Perhaps if a human being lived longer, maybe 200 yrs, will we grow enough to see the errors of our ways in the many aspects of our varied lives. Then again ...
I believe that you and many who have posted replies here on ATS are on or beyond the correct path. Good journey, Sir

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Excellent post! I also grew up in a very racist enviroment, my father was in the US Army in the 1960s and still will tell me his bigotry stems from that time and living in close quarters with certain other colours and cultures..It is something that ever since childhood i have known within myself to be wrong and petty, i remember how anger i used to get at him over the topic..we are all, afterall the same species, the same race.. Mankind. that is what matters above all else..but i do understand what you mean about the internal debates, especially having grown up in the kind of household you mentioned, it is not easy to 'deprogramme' a mindset embedded early on in life, but i think the best thing is to be aware of it as you are, and never stop the struggle in your own mind on the topic.. throughout my life this far, i have had a multitude of friends of different skin tone, mind set, and social engineering...I also think that as much as our world has gone politically correct these days, its still engrained in our own culture to be racist..even more so it seems since 9/11 took place..predictive programming on television helps nothing for instance!
Peace, light and open mind to you..

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Here's a way to overlook bias...

Just remember that everyone is made of flesh and blood just like yourself. Everyone bends over to take a dump the exact same way. Everyone has someone who loves them. Mostly everyone has sex and eats to survive.

All of these things put us on the same par level making us a part of the same race...HUMAN.

As long as we are all human, there is no one above the other.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by EvolvedMinistry

Black - White. Christian - Muslim. Latino - African. Jew - Arab. Atheist - Believer. I could go on and on.

Human - Human. You are right EvolvedMinistry. We cannot get around it. In the end we are all just human. With the same needs and desires. The same functions. The same fears. We will all stand before the same creator. My how we have grown. Awesome thread by the way KS!

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

I was also fathered and raised by a southern bigot.My father spent the
rest of his life in the northern states.I don't remember too many slurs
against colored skin,while growing up.My father had a few, "old drinking
buddies",that were colored skin.

Racial bigotry is taught,we are not born racist.My father's attitude changed
slowly over the years.I think if he had stayed in the south,he would have
still been a hardened bigot.Environment has a lot to do with racial bigotry.

In our society today,people are seeing jobs going to foreign countries.
This type of action will cause racial problems.It is human nature to blame
the loss of jobs to certain ethnic groups.These ethnic groups are not the
problem,they are just as much victims as the one who lost his/her job.

I remember years ago,one of my friends had a baby with a colored man.
My friend's father threw a fit about it.When the baby was born,attitudes
started to change.At first, the grandfather growled when walking by the
newborn.Another time,he lifted her blanket up and took a peek at her.
Finally,he moved the blanket away and started calling her,my little chocolate drop.His attitude towards colored people changed because of
a newborn.

We need to see each other as people and not by skin color.I am no better
than anyone else because I am white.When we dig past the skin color,we
are all the same inside.When we stop judging the outside and start looking
into what is inside,our world will become a better place for it.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   

No, I don't think other groups have learned to become more discreet with racism, I just think that whites are called out for racism most often because they have become an easy scapegoat (in the US, anyways).

It's so much easier for people to constantly blame [insert specific group here where you live] for racism than to actually think that every group of people have racist attitudes toward another group.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
How would you compare the socio-economic situation between the two neighborhoods? Are they the same class? Is the black neighborhood poor and the white neighborhood middle-class? The snow-cone incident not-withstanding, the different conduct and attitudes of the 'perps' may have more to do with class than race. If the black area was poorer, didn't have nice stores and services and they perceived the whites as having an unfair advantage, there would be some resentment towards white authority figures. I'm not saying it's right, but it's expected.

Originally posted by seeashrink
I've been here a while but I don't post much, however this is a subject near and dear to my heart.
I am a 53 year old white male born and raised in the southeast. I too was raised in a family poisoned by prejudice. It was seen more in my mother and my father's family rather than my father. My mother had some mental illness so to help with the chores around the house dad hired a maid that came 3 to 5 times a week depending on the need. She was a black lady by the name of Lessie. Dad treated her as one of the family. He insisted that she eat with us at meal time even though she would try to separate herself to the kitchen. She treated me well and even helped raise me.
When the schools desegregated, I was bussed to a black school where I remained for a year. While there I learned that there was no difference between me and the other black kids, but I did experience some prejudice from some of the black teachers.
As an adult I joined the military where I saw the races further integrated and learned even more about accepting those of different color, ect.
I've never considered myself prejudice until NOW. I am a cop in a segregated town in the south. Very little if anything is ever done to bridge the gap, on the contrary, things are done on "both sides of the tracks" to strengthen the problem. I patrol the "white side" and I patrol the "black side". I have been proactive in trying to bridge the gap to no avail.
When I have to go to the black side of town all I ever get is attitude. I am always respectful but am never respected. If I pull a black person for speeding I am told I wouldn't be doing so if they were white. If I take a person of color to jail for selling drugs I am told the same thing. If you are wondering, yes, I pull and take white people to jail too. If I am running radar at night and I pull a car for speeding, I have no idea what color the person behind the wheel is until I get to the window, yet I am still accused of acting on race. If I run the tag on a Monte Carlo that is jacked up on 28 inch rims with blacked out windows and rap music thumping so loud that it rattles the windows in my patrol car and that tag comes back expired then I am racial profiling.
I do not like what I have become. No, I don't use racial slurs or treat people with prejudice, but in my heart I am prejudice. I despise the attitude I get pretty much everyday at work. I despise the thug attitude I get from the teenagers of color. I bought some snow cones for some black children at a park not too long ago and as I was doing so I heard one child exclaim "I want a free one just because I'm black", he was probably 8 years old. It certainly gave me a moment of pause.
Yes, I'm prejudice and I hate it. I fight it on a daily basis and I fear that I am losing the battle.
Ashamed,
seeashrink

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Lol I just had the post this as on a just because basis. I'm sorry if it seems on topic but really it is to show how inane this all is. Today I was at grand central train station. If you know anything about NYC then you know that just about all day that station is packed. I walked past two posters. One had an ad for Vince Vaughn's latest movie. The other had a poster up for a newer TV show called White Collar. Someone defaced the Vince Vaughn photo and wrote "Big Dumb N*word*" next to Faizon Love (Who is a pretty overweight). On the White Collar poster the words "White Power" were written on Matt Bomer's right cheek. All I could do is laugh. I couldn't even get angry. It feels good to be able to laugh at the ignorance. This discussion has really helped me. I'm a better man for what I've learned and I what I will continue to learn.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   

I really liked this. From my own experiance the short answer is you cant change it but never give up trying. It gets better with every generation.

With me I look like Im white but my mother is black and my father is white. I did not know my father (that damn deadbeat). I told everyone that I was black. My mom was black, I lived in a black neighborhood, all my friends were black, I went to a black school. But my skin color was a big problem. I would get teased relentlessly. I was told that I had to prove my blackness (still dont know what that means) Were in your fathers day some blacks cursed being black I curesed my light skin and prayed everyday for God to make me darker. But now that I am well into adulthood I still claim my african roots but I have noticed that I am very carefull because there are those that fit the negitive sterotypes perfectly. I hate to say it but I am far more likly to cross the street if I see 2 blackmen coming then if I see two whitemen. I know it has to do with the torment I recived growing. But with others it has to do with the media. Before Obama, how many time did you see a blackman or a minority in the news for anything good. No go through and think about all the minorities you see in the news for murder, rape etc.

Its only natural to start assoiating all minorities with this type of activity. Its not right but its natural. All I can do is raise my son better and hope he does the same for his kids. Like I said earlier it gets better with every generation.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I can sort of understand. I am kind of guilty of racism even though I don't think I am racist. Let me explain.

I grew up in St. Louis. I was raised in a little town on the Illinois side. It was a nice town, nice houses, nice neighborhoods. The town was almost completely white, but there where a few middle class black families that I am proud to say the town accepted. They where really genuine good people. Some of them are some of my greatest friends to this day.

After I hit my upper teenage years I started to work more on the Missouri side. There where times I had to go into some of the parts of town that had a really heavy black population. This is where the racism comes in I guess.

Don't get offended I can explain!

When you go from the decent part of town to the bad part of town, the transition is instant. All of a sudden it looks like I just entered London during WW2. The houses are falling apart, some on the verge of collapse (with people still living in them btw). Black people standing on the corner waiting for you to stop at a stop sign / stop light so that when you stop they can rob you at gun point (which I learned the hard way). Whenever I get out of my vehicle to work sometimes groups of blacks would taunt me, call me whitey and cracker for no reason. They would always threaten with violence because I was white in a black neighborhood. Many of the violent threats where death threats. I guess when you talk about racism they where by far more racist than I. I was just trying to get my F#*% work done.

I would witness crack deals going down everywhere. Some of these people look like they haven't eaten in months while they smoke their crack pipe right out in the open. Hookers everywhere. Don't get me started on the children, in this environment they are being set up to fail. (vicious cycle) I heard gun shots every day I worked these neighborhoods. I witnessed a murder in North City St. Louis right out in broad day light. Most of these people where the scum of the earth! Some of these parts used to be the nicest parts of the city before they where destroyed! Ever since then I have always been biased against blacks. I don't hate them by any means, but after seeing what I saw and cannot fully describe here I can't help but have some bad feelings towards them.

Edit: I decided to post some pictures to get my point across.

St. Louis isn't all like that though, just some parts. It's actually quite a nice city.

[edit on 7-10-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvolvedMinistry
Here's a way to overlook bias...

Just remember that everyone is made of flesh and blood just like yourself. Everyone bends over to take a dump the exact same way. Everyone has someone who loves them. Mostly everyone has sex and eats to survive.

All of these things put us on the same par level making us a part of the same race...HUMAN.

As long as we are all human, there is no one above the other.

Very simple on the surface, my friend. Indeed this would be the goal of my personal journey. When I am able to pause and consider the thoughts, rather than allowing them to continue unabated, this is always the conclusion. We have far more in common than we have in difference.

My dilemna, which may not really be too bad, given some of the feedback I have receieved, is that tolerance and acceptance is not the FIRST thought. It comes only after forced deliberation and an EFFORT on my part to change the way I'm thinking.

The real goal for me is to move beyond that, and I am never going to give up trying, but again, given input and reflection on that input, I'm leaning more towards the reality that I can't be responsible for my thoughts, when they just pop up, however hateful or ridiculous they may seem, but I AM responsible for how long I allow them to remain and how much credence I give them.

Thank you for your input.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by riddle6

No, I don't think other groups have learned to become more discreet with racism, I just think that whites are called out for racism most often because they have become an easy scapegoat (in the US, anyways).

It's so much easier for people to constantly blame [insert specific group here where you live] for racism than to actually think that every group of people have racist attitudes toward another group.

I'm not going to disagree with this at all, as I think it to be the truth, as far as I could comprehend what that means.

Although I agree, I have to wonder how it would ever improve if rather than address the issue, we point out the flaws in others, somehow justifying our own faults.

I know for me, that doesn't work. It may help me take some of the burden off myself, but it does nothing for the problem.

'Yeah, I stole a TV, but THAT guys steals TVs too, and THAT one over there stole THREE tvs...' Oversimplified again, but I feel it's accurate.

Knowing that the only person I can ever hope to have any impact on internally is myself, pointing out the splinter in my brother'r eye is not going to do me a bit of good.

Thank you very much for adding your voice.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Huey Adinasi
Lol I just had the post this as on a just because basis. I'm sorry if it seems on topic but really it is to show how inane this all is. Today I was at grand central train station. If you know anything about NYC then you know that just about all day that station is packed. I walked past two posters. One had an ad for Vince Vaughn's latest movie. The other had a poster up for a newer TV show called White Collar. Someone defaced the Vince Vaughn photo and wrote "Big Dumb N*word*" next to Faizon Love (Who is a pretty overweight). On the White Collar poster the words "White Power" were written on Matt Bomer's right cheek. All I could do is laugh. I couldn't even get angry. It feels good to be able to laugh at the ignorance. This discussion has really helped me. I'm a better man for what I've learned and I what I will continue to learn.

Man, I really don't even know what to reply to this, but that's never stopped me before.

I got to thinking last night, thanks to a couple of the other members here, just how selfish I was being with this whole thing. That got me to thinking about a lot of things. I have a tendency to be a martyr, so there is this fine line between the creator of the universe using me, and what I try to justify as his will. A line between my insignificance and my importance.

You see, I want to puff out my chest and say, 'oh, it's apparent this wasn't for ME, it was for YOU (ain't it special how God uses me?)' but that would decidedly NOT be humility. At the same time, I could puff out my chest again and say 'I don't care HOW it has affected YOU, this is about ME.' I have so much to learn.

Somewhere in there is some balance and I have this sneaking suspicion that this elusive balance is also at the root of the issue in the Op.

What I CAN convey, with certainty, my new friend, is that I have truly benefited from your contributions as I'm sure many other have as well. The exchange has been wonderful.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by seeashrink

Be safe out there and remember: they don't know what they're doing. It's good to know that there are LEOs like you!

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join