It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confessions of a Racist

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen
reply to post by 222938

Using that loose logic, do you think that if we buck the trend, so to speak, of equalization, that we are in fact not being responsible world citizens? I mean, it's obvious that if you have very, very strong nationalistic, or culturally biased actions that, there will be repercussions. I don't agree with it fully, but that's life, right?

Do you think we're stuck?

[edit on 6-10-2009 by KSPigpen]

From what I've seen, I believe that attempting to force all of these different "cultures" to live side by side actually hurts each individual group. People enjoy traveling to different countries because they all contain specific cultures and people. It's what makes them great and interesting. America is a nation of immigrants that has created its own distinct culture, far different from the old, and in my opinion outdated, ones that each group brought with it. At one time immigrants were encouraged to adapt to the native culture and embrace it, it gave everyone a sense of being "American". Now they are encouraged to keep their own and it drives wedges between the citizenry. A good example I think is the difference between legal immigrants from Mexico and illegal ones. The legal immigrants quickly adapt to, and adopt America as their homeland, they become successful and make real contributions to our society. Many of the illegal ones still march in the streets with Mexican flags while burning ours and screeching at us to get out of "their" country. Most blacks grow out of the gangster culture and end up successful themselves, but some wear Dashikis and block voting areas in jackboots. My point is that attempting to appease all these different groups is obviously not working, look at Britain. We should be encouraging Americanism, not Multiculturalism.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by 222938

Sorry but America has been multicultural since the very beginning. The only ones who have any right to complain about all these different people coming over here are the Indians.

Besides of that it is all moot. We are here together and so we all have to learn to live together or die fighting each other.

I for one love the multi cultural diversity of the big cities.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
To those that keep yammering about white people having their very own place. Have any of you heard of Iceland? Pack your bags and move to your white paradise. Don't want to? Oh you say this is your country? Everyone else should leave? I'm not leaving. I was born here. My mother was born here. My father was born here. All of my family. My whole life is here. But you want me and people like me to leave just because of you and your fantasies of only seeing other whites all day everyday? I can appreciate there being countries that specifically have one race. But lets not stray from the fact that places like Japan are racist as #. Its a slippery slope from "just wanting to be around people like yourself" to flat out racism. What about the American Natives or the Australian Aboriginals? They really got the short end of the stick when it came to their homeland. I remember one guy's argument was that oh the natives would've been brutally murdered by the aztec empire anyway and what they did for them was a favor. Yet he couldn't seem to answer as to why it was necessary to destroy the aztecs and most of the natives. Why not just the aztecs if they were truly barbaric? Racists always have to make excuses or come up with elaborate explanations for their beliefs to negate the fact that its xenophobic drivel. They even came up with racist pseudosciences to "prove their points scientifically". My point being if anyone, anyone at all wants their own country for their people, it damn sure shouldn't be the USA.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

Hey...I don't give many flags out but I will just because you show the effort of actually replying to the respondents of your thread

There really have not been a life changing act that has made me think the way I do. It is just that I personally feel that every little action in life represents a larger idea, and can sense this idea off of the smallest things.

I think of it this way. EVERYTHING you do in your life is for your own benefit. Even if it is helping others, you get a sense of relief and what not. So we are all looking out for ourselves...but you know the best way we can do that? Look out for each other, because that will provide the best results for ourselves. I am not nice to other people for the sake of it, but for myself. To make friends, peers, and companions. That keep me busy and allow me to have fun. While I have never taken a psychology class (and could care less for one), I believe all fundamentals of our psyche can be applied to every action we do.

To sum it all up? I am not racist because it would not benefit me in being so. I believe only the ignorant are racist, because it is usually the ignorant who get self-gratification off of harming others or having the "I am better" mind set.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

again, your honesty is appreciated. It's refrshing to have a discussion that doesn't deteriorate into name calling and anger.

So we are all looking out for ourselves...but you know the best way we can do that? Look out for each other, because that will provide the best results for ourselves.

I would try so hard to argue this till I'm blue in the face...trying to convince myself, more than anyone else, that my motives aren't so selfish, but I would be lying to myself and I don't think that's of much benefit anymore...It kept me a live for a while, but it's pretty worthless now...

I think that statement is probably one of the most profound I have ever heard. I don't run around agreeing with you, Frito, but on this one I think you're spot on.

I'm banking on ignorance being temporary and not terminal. One can hope, I suppose.
Thanks again, Bandito.

(Frito Bandito...if you're old enough for that)

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Huey Adinasi

To those that keep yammering about white people having their very own place. Have any of you heard of Iceland? Pack your bags and move to your white paradise. Don't want to? Oh you say this is your country? Everyone else should leave? I'm not leaving. I was born here. My mother was born here. My father was born here. All of my family.

I am such a mutt, any weak argument I could ever come up with to justify something retarded like 'white supremacy' would probably mean I would have to be euthanized.

I take a little solace in the fact that my ancestors moved with buffalo and lived in tune with nature...I take a little sadness knowing the other side raped and tortured in the name of 'manifest destiny.'

I think we would be extremely hard pressed to find any 'race' that hasn't been mixed by now.

I sure appreciate you stopping by, friend.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nichiren
reply to post by RRokkyy

Please do tell what this thread is really about. I'm all ears.

NARCISSUS

Second line.
Third line for extra protection.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by spiritwomyn

OMG I absolutely love you and your post!

We all can learn a great lesson from you and skpigpen. You are an incredibly strong soul and motivated like no other. I wish there were more people like you and less victims - victims of fear.
KSpigpen; no matter what the world throws, it is the weak that get hit or throw back. The strong measure the bounce factor, laugh and move on. We all have many different events that color our perspective through life - we choose which colors to paint with and which to just draw lines and which to disgard. I use to love blue and hate pink as a kid. Of course that changed over time. I also use to believe all sorts of things about white people because I was told them by friends. I no longer have those friends. They were replaced with white people. LOL
No one is the same person they were growing up. We do, however, hold on to too much baggage that is stinky, stained and so bad that OSHA would call us in violation of many health ordinances. It takes tons of work not to be the negative pack rat of life, which it seems you have already done except one - the blame game. Toss that puppy out with the putrid bath water! Don't be your very own victim.
Now I cannot tell you how to let it go, but a shaman type person told me this one day and I still practice it.
Take out your worse suitcase (in your mind that is), fill it with that old stuff you feel you no longer needed to live (mine was self pity) and stuff that suitecase. Now picture yourself going to the train station, buy a ticket for your favorite destination and go to the plateform. When the train comes, wait until it is about to pull off, put the suitcase down, jump on board and leave it there and go have fun. Never think of that luggage again and if you do, do it again. After enough trips you forget the luggage all together.
You are my hero, KSpigpen. I've not known a man to let loose and take it on the chin like you have. Forgive yourself and all will be great in the long run.
Peace be da journey my dear ATF compadre!

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Another ATS hero. Much love Huey Adinasi! I know what you mean by black americans thinking they are not racist. I had some run ins because my ex was white. He couldn't take it, poor guy, but I still to this day try to tell him it was never HIS fault!
People need to realize the only evil in this world is the evil they bring in or condone.
I've never seen this and I hope I see more. Big fat kudos Huey Adinasi! You are the very best!

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRokkyy

Originally posted by Nichiren
reply to post by RRokkyy

Please do tell what this thread is really about. I'm all ears.

NARCISSUS

Second line.
Third line for extra protection.

Are you saying this is about Narcissism, RRocky? I've been dense before. Am I somehow staring at my own reflection in a pool, so enamored that I'm going to die there? The gay son of a nymph? Please elaborate.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
@ the OP, what exactly are you looking for, and what is it you hope this thread will accomplish?

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by EMPIRE
@ the OP, what exactly are you looking for, and what is it you hope this thread will accomplish?

In a way, my friend, it has already 'accomplished' more than what I could have expected. The goal was to get input on how serious other people think racially-biased thoughts are and whether they had any constructive suggestions for working towards freeing my mind of them. I've received many helpful suggestions.

I've been called a few names, read some hate, read some tremendous insight and for the most part, I think I've grown as a person through the experience. I don't know what more a person could want.

If it were dreams, they would of course be much more elaborate. World peace would be nice, but I can't stop Joe from Hating Fred. I can only try to stop myself from hating either one.

I would like racism to stop, but I can't work on anyone but myself. So that is the choice I've made, that is the goal. To walk myself further into the light. To shine light on my defects so that they can stop growing in the darkness.

But I am tiny. Insignificant it would seem sometimes to me, but some people have come out and spoken their hearts, be they dark and cold or warm and bright. Though the magic of the Internet and anonymity, many people have learned many things about many others.

I am in awe of the free exchange of beliefs, experiences and prejudices. Again, I could have wished for no more than what has been provided to me and others through the generosity of everyone willing to share their opinion.

This thread has changed my life, friend.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Go in peace.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by EMPIRE

Go in peace.

And you as well.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I've been here a while but I don't post much, however this is a subject near and dear to my heart.
I am a 53 year old white male born and raised in the southeast. I too was raised in a family poisoned by prejudice. It was seen more in my mother and my father's family rather than my father. My mother had some mental illness so to help with the chores around the house dad hired a maid that came 3 to 5 times a week depending on the need. She was a black lady by the name of Lessie. Dad treated her as one of the family. He insisted that she eat with us at meal time even though she would try to separate herself to the kitchen. She treated me well and even helped raise me.
When the schools desegregated, I was bussed to a black school where I remained for a year. While there I learned that there was no difference between me and the other black kids, but I did experience some prejudice from some of the black teachers.
As an adult I joined the military where I saw the races further integrated and learned even more about accepting those of different color, ect.
I've never considered myself prejudice until NOW. I am a cop in a segregated town in the south. Very little if anything is ever done to bridge the gap, on the contrary, things are done on "both sides of the tracks" to strengthen the problem. I patrol the "white side" and I patrol the "black side". I have been proactive in trying to bridge the gap to no avail.
When I have to go to the black side of town all I ever get is attitude. I am always respectful but am never respected. If I pull a black person for speeding I am told I wouldn't be doing so if they were white. If I take a person of color to jail for selling drugs I am told the same thing. If you are wondering, yes, I pull and take white people to jail too. If I am running radar at night and I pull a car for speeding, I have no idea what color the person behind the wheel is until I get to the window, yet I am still accused of acting on race. If I run the tag on a Monte Carlo that is jacked up on 28 inch rims with blacked out windows and rap music thumping so loud that it rattles the windows in my patrol car and that tag comes back expired then I am racial profiling.
I do not like what I have become. No, I don't use racial slurs or treat people with prejudice, but in my heart I am prejudice. I despise the attitude I get pretty much everyday at work. I despise the thug attitude I get from the teenagers of color. I bought some snow cones for some black children at a park not too long ago and as I was doing so I heard one child exclaim "I want a free one just because I'm black", he was probably 8 years old. It certainly gave me a moment of pause.
Yes, I'm prejudice and I hate it. I fight it on a daily basis and I fear that I am losing the battle.
Ashamed,
seeashrink

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Hey, it is nice to know you are actually reading my posts. I always wonder if some of them go unread...but as long as I know at least one person has read it, I am satisfied.

And it is funny...I normally find myself disagreeing with you on all of the other subjects here on ATS

edit - I do not know Mr.Bandito...Lo siento.

[edit on 6-10-2009 by FritosBBQTwist]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeashrink
I've been here a while but I don't post much, however this is a subject near and dear to my heart.
I am a 53 year old white male born and raised in the southeast. I too was raised in a family poisoned by prejudice. It was seen more in my mother and my father's family rather than my father. My mother had some mental illness so to help with the chores around the house dad hired a maid that came 3 to 5 times a week depending on the need. She was a black lady by the name of Lessie. Dad treated her as one of the family. He insisted that she eat with us at meal time even though she would try to separate herself to the kitchen. She treated me well and even helped raise me.
When the schools desegregated, I was bussed to a black school where I remained for a year. While there I learned that there was no difference between me and the other black kids, but I did experience some prejudice from some of the black teachers.
As an adult I joined the military where I saw the races further integrated and learned even more about accepting those of different color, ect.
I've never considered myself prejudice until NOW. I am a cop in a segregated town in the south. Very little if anything is ever done to bridge the gap, on the contrary, things are done on "both sides of the tracks" to strengthen the problem. I patrol the "white side" and I patrol the "black side". I have been proactive in trying to bridge the gap to no avail.
When I have to go to the black side of town all I ever get is attitude. I am always respectful but am never respected. If I pull a black person for speeding I am told I wouldn't be doing so if they were white. If I take a person of color to jail for selling drugs I am told the same thing. If you are wondering, yes, I pull and take white people to jail too. If I am running radar at night and I pull a car for speeding, I have no idea what color the person behind the wheel is until I get to the window, yet I am still accused of acting on race. If I run the tag on a Monte Carlo that is jacked up on 28 inch rims with blacked out windows and rap music thumping so loud that it rattles the windows in my patrol car and that tag comes back expired then I am racial profiling.
I do not like what I have become. No, I don't use racial slurs or treat people with prejudice, but in my heart I am prejudice. I despise the attitude I get pretty much everyday at work. I despise the thug attitude I get from the teenagers of color. I bought some snow cones for some black children at a park not too long ago and as I was doing so I heard one child exclaim "I want a free one just because I'm black", he was probably 8 years old. It certainly gave me a moment of pause.
Yes, I'm prejudice and I hate it. I fight it on a daily basis and I fear that I am losing the battle.
Ashamed,
seeashrink

Look at your experiences. You're prejudiced because they are prejudiced. You were wronged that is very true. And from the confusion, anger, and pain your prejudice was born. The black community and all communities need to realize that racism only begets more racism. I implore you even at this age to learn to forgive. Were you to see me in the street because of past experiences you would probably dislike me. Little would you know my capability of being one of your best comrades. Use your eyes but also use your mind. It is hard to forgive when we are hurt. But so much more rewarding when we do. Something I left out earlier was that I moved to Atlanta GA and stayed for a few years. Never have I experienced that discrimination that I felt right there. And after that my brainwashing kicked in a little more because I was angry and bitter at those who hurt me. I was in love with a white girl when I was 15. But her backwoods family forbade it. She told me she wanted a normal life. She wanted them to interact with whoever she was with and her kids. I understood and I let her go. I understand the pain friend.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen

Do you think. my friend, that not only with me, but with others, that this is a permanent condition?

Absolutely. It's a permanent condition for all humans from birth to death. Probably for all animals. Our reaction to it can be controlled, but it will never go away.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Thank you sir. Anytime that I come across a black man that treats me with the same respect that I do him, I lunge at the opportunity for relationship like a hungry child with his favorite food set before him. I appreciate your compassion and the depth of your understanding

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeashrink
Ashamed,
seeashrink

I really DO appreciate you sharing with us. I think I'll call you SaS.

I don't think it's about shame, my friend. You have completely thrown a freakin' wrench in MY works though. I hope some of the posters that have contributed before can address you post. I'm beside myself.

What you have made me wonder about is how our environment can make these prejudices increase over time.

Your post speaks volumes. I'm honored that you chose this thread to share in.

Now...on to the meat and potatoes. Where do you go from here, SaS? How can you keep from turning into what you hate? What do you use to keep from being overtaken by this? How do you cope, my friend?

For the record, I don't see how your reaction could be anything worse than anyone else's given the circumstances, but I'm concerned for you and kind of lost on how to help.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join