It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military’s Disaster-Proof Cuisine ‘Tastes Like Soap’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Ya know sometimes I really feel sorry for our troops - first they have to follow blind stupid order from our elected officials and now this!

"The military’s got disaster-proof foodstuff down to a science: their meals ready-to-eat (MREs) are packaged, vacuum-sealed rations that supply high-calorie sustenance, have a multi-year shelf life and are prepped using nothing but water. Too bad they taste like Irish Springs.

That’s according to a review panel at Popular Mechanics, where testers sampled three of the military’s 24 different MREs - available in civilian versions for your at-home fallout shelter - and concluded that the end of the world “tasted a little bit like soap.” At least, the dried fruit snack does. And it’s accompanying chicken, “indistinguishable” from a side dish of potatoes and beans, doesn’t sound much better."

Rest of Article:

www.wired.com...

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I thought it was interesting that the reviews stated that the Vegetarian Rations tasted the best, and even better than those were the Vegetarian Kosher Rations. Yup, I think I'll go Vegetarian + Kosher thank you very much. It's not a matter of taste as much as it is if I'm not preparing food myself I'd rather have peace of mind in knowing precisely what is in my Emergency Rations.

I haven't eaten an MRE for years, but I'd rather not unless I have to. I'd rather have a can of Ensure to get my Recommended Daily Allowance.

Still, it's important to get reviews of long-term shelf-life Disaster Food before you buy.

The only thing that bothered me was the the Reviewers were only given 3 of 24 different types of MREs? That doesn't seem to be a very honest sampling to give a valid review.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadoMan

That is why any soldier with a discerning palate never goes anywhere without a small sealed box of seasoning and is never without curry paste/powder

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I've still been told that MRE's blow the old K-Rations away.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I lived off MRE's every time we deployed in the Marines. When your starving taste matters not. If you’re a fat and happy civilian then an MRE is nasty. It’s not a gourmet meal its survival food. And it does the job.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
MRE's are a great survival food. Most people would eat them as they are supposed to be eaten, with the self heating bag and all that. There's no reason why in a survival situation you couldn't use the ingredients to make a fantastic and flavorful soup.

The best idea for civilians is to stock up on rice, beans, flour and spices and use MRE's as an addition, NOT the crux of the meal.

It's my understanding anyway that you should only be eating MRE's for a month anyway before having a "real" meal.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I have been eating this junk since i joined the army back in 2003 and i got to say that the egg and cheese omlete is the worst. Ants wont even touch the stuff and Iraqis simply toss it back to us with a quickness!

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
MRE's are okay for what they are..food in a bag...
Ate'em for a couple months at Fort Suse Iraq, till they finally got a field kitchen in that served a hot dinner.

Good for a quick dose of calories and something to eat in the field. Gimme the chicken and salsa, beef stew or chicken and noodles..they're the more edible one's IMO. Some are downright toxic though, even the dogs here won't touch them.

I used to collect the little bottles of Tabasco that came with them, that was a life saver! At least it gave them some taste!

[edit on 5-10-2009 by bg_socalif]

new topics

top topics

join