It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ruger 10/22 not your daddy's gun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
in another post I said if i had to pick one gun to take with me (Bug out) that gun would be my 10/22
Now I know I stunned a lot of people when I said that but you may not know there is a huge group of shade tree gunsmiths doing some very cool if not downright remarkable mods to the venerable old ruger rimfire...

I've made a slideshow of some of the members guns in the group I belong too.. these are not toys... in most cases several thousands of dollars went into them many are indeed 1 MOA guns too... My bull pup mod is in the show too

MY 10/22 Slide Show
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d13fe9d7949b.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 5-10-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I'm considering buying a 10/22 but I can get two Marlins for the price of one Ruger.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
ummm....actually the 10-22 IS your daddy's gun!

Its been around long enough that it was passed down to me.....from my daddy! Wrapping it up in a cheap plastic bullpup stock does nothing but make it so that there are more possible parts to break.

To address your other points, if it was just ONE gun I could carry; it would be a .22 revolver. Ammo plenty available and lightweight, no magazines to go missing or break, very easy to conceal and the revolver is THE most reliable platform period. You can take anything down from a squirl to a deer and be relatively quiet while doing it!

[edit on 5-10-2009 by bismarcksea]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpacePunk

I'm considering buying a 10/22 but I can get two Marlins for the price of one Ruger.

If you just want a good little plinker the Marlins a great little gun... but when it comes to doing super Mods you have to go with the 10/22

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   

I want to play at your house!
Ruger makes some badazz weaponz for sure. 16 yrs Redhawk .44 only
firearm I've ever owned and she's my girl. Wifey gets jealous when I say that. funny.
thanks for sharing that S&F

[edit on 5-10-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by bismarcksea

You didnt look at the slide show... people are doing a good deal more then adding plastic cases

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Wow the quality with some of those is def amazing.

I would still pick my Modified SKS over your Modified 10/22.

.22 v 7.62x39 in a combat situation. I'm sure I don't have to tell you.

For small game though I still wouldn't pick the 10/22. I still think the best small round is still by far the 17HMR.

For the sake of posting pretty guns here is an awesome 17HMR.

Mine isn't this cool lol.

Wonderful pics! S&F

[edit on 5-10-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   

I enjoyed the pictures, but didn't really care for La Musica.

Er, I love a 10/22. I've got one set up with Peep sites, and a butler folding stock.

S&F

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I don't mean any offense to anyone, but modifying a 10/22 is like modifying an old Honda Civic and pretending it's a race car. It's not! It's an old Honda Civic with alot of over-priced junk on it!!! Same with a modified 10/22 - it's not some cool assault rifle, it's a 10/22 with alot of over-priced pointless junk on it! I've got a Mossberg Plinkster that I can shoot a hole through a dime with at over 100M - UNmodified!!! Spent $120USD on it! If you want a cool looking assault rifle, why not just go purchase a SIG 556???

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I owned a 10/22 some years back and gave it to a friend. The thing I liked most about it was that it reminded me of the M1 carbine. I really liked that rifle.

I just visited Ireland recently and was Amazed that - besides the myth that guns are illegal here - I was astonished that suppressors are legal here - or silencers for those others. You can purchase them with a rifle. Now getting a permit to own a gun is not that easy but once you got it you can get any kind of gun you want except full auto.

Cheers,

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I own a 10/22 and they are great plinkers and small game arms. Great slide show!

To each his own...

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
There is no denying the versatility of the 10/22 platform. Whether you are in to add on jewelery or bull barrel accuracy and trigger enhancements, it is a fun gun to own and operate. Best of all, the simplicity of its design makes it an easy mod. for everyday people. Very little if any gunsmithing skill required.

Hell buy two. Trick one out for fun and accurize another for game and target.

Everyone has a preferred .22. In addition to the 10/22 I really like the Browning Semi-Auto .22. You can't really modify it but the barrel is removable in seconds and you can just easily tuck into a pack. You can do it blindfolded with gloves on.

[edit on 5-10-2009 by jibeho]

[edit on 5-10-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Thanks daddybare. I have 2 Ruger 10/22's, one of which was my very first gun. Call me prejudiced but I just might take the 10/22 over my AK in a survival situation. The ability to carry 10x the ammo is one major advantage in addition to the relative quietness of subsonic ammo.

People underestimate the lethal potential of the .22 round. The bullet breaks up badly and can leave truly horrible wound channels. Any critter within 60 yards is meat on my table with my 10/22. You can also empty a 10 rd magazine in about 3 seconds if neccessary with very good accuracy due to minimal recoil.

My only argument against all the fancy conversions is someone might think you have an m4 or some other far more expensive and powerful weapon than you actually have. I still don't get the point of bull barrels without free floating it but hey, to each his own.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I'll share a link to one of the more common parts suppliers so you can see for yourself but the bull/target barrels are generally free floated or at least glass bedded the kits are sold here too... By far the Green Mountain barrels are the best without draining your wallet heck even the very nice looking Yukon Extreme custom stocks start at $150ish...without spending a months earnings you can built yourself a nice little tack driver...
Rimfire Sports... Not just 10/22 Acc

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
25 years ago I met a gunsmith who showed me how to make a 10/22 fully automatic, i dont rember how anymore, but it required several custom made pieces.
I shot his auto 10/22 and it was a blast, and fired a couple of bursts from his auto 10/44, that was a hoot.
i never got around to getting a 10/22 and making the conversion though,
id imagine they have made changes in the design to make this harder to do.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks

You can buy drop in triggers for the 10/22 to make them select fire (Full Auto) Way out of my price range through I saw one go for $8,000 USD.

Norrell makes a 10/22 trigger pack very pricey... Timney triggers is supposed to make one also but couldn't say at what cost... Since the ATF considers the trigger pac to be the registered machine gun, you can put it in any 10/22 you want to put it in. It is no different than an AR15 drop- in auto sear or an AR15 Lightning Link. If you want to fire your 10/22 full auto, you simply buy a Norell trigger pac and take about two minutes to install it in your 10/22. It is full auto, and it is perfectly legal. as long as you have the right licences that is...Wink and a nod to the feds who I know watch these posts...

To bad you dont remember how to make that mod... it could be you people are paying the big bucks too!!!

[edit on 6-10-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
If you have two why not get the gatling gun kit?

www.tacticalinc.com...

I have a 10/22 but after all the crap I went through to make it a tack driver I could have just bought an Anshutz.

[edit on 6-10-2009 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Not entirely true I can build three or four tack driving 10/22's and stay well under the cost of a high end Anschutz Target Rifle...
Better still since I built it I would know how to fix it!
2008 catalog

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Sadly, both of my parents (God bless 'em) were liberal passivists. So I never shot a gun until after I left home.

But thankfully, I left home at 18 and my first job was working with a bunch of conservative aerospace engineers/NRA members, and they quickly convinced me to exercise my 2nd amendment rights by purchasing the best .22cal rifle available: the American-made Ruger model 10-22.

I've owned it for almost 25 years now, and it's still as accurate as the first time I shot it. And in the past 22 years, I've purchased 3 more Ruger firearms. With the exception of one Sig-Sauer pistol, every gun I have bought (Ruger, Colt or Remington) is American made.

So no, my Ruger 10/22 was not my daddy's gun. And I will not likely have any children myself. But I do have one 16-year-old niece that likes to shoot. So ol' Uncle Riff will be passing that Ruger 10/22 along to her, regardless of what my namby-pamby sister-in-law might say.......

new topics

top topics

join