It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tell me... what are the chances?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
So for three years now I have been a member of the military and during these three years, one of the first friends I made has been like a brother, and been my friend here ever since we met. Now I don't mean "brother" in the since that we've bonded but more in the sense of a adolescent sibling rivalry type.

This might not strike many as odd but in some very strange ways we are very similar:

-Both of us were born in January (1/15/87 and 1/23/87, I am the older)
-Both of us are Tigers/Rabbits (Chinese/Japanese Zodiac)
-Both of us lost our father at a very young age (his father died, mine got arrested)
-Both of us were raised mostly by the female members of our family (My Mother, Aunt, Cousin, and older Sister, his three much older sisters)
-Both Mothers never remarried and are also around the same age
-Both Mothers were born in NYC, NY
-Both of us have the same initials B.A.J. (both also share the middle name of Andrew)
-Don't know if numbers mean anything but, Brian=5 Andrew=6 Jones=5/Brandon=7 Andrew=6 Jackson=7
-Both of us signed on to the military for 6 years and went through basic at about the same time (difference of about 2 or 3 weeks)
-Both of us joined the military with the common reason of college related issues (grades)
-Both of us have trained extensively in martial arts from an early age
-Both of us have a huge draw to Japan
-We see many things on the same level
-There is often a bonding energy feeling though not expressed

That's all the strange similarities between us that I can think of right now, and when I say "adolescent sibling rivalry type" I really mean it, we seem to have this sort of foolish bickering over everything, the type of small stuff only brotherly egos would conflict over. Now, here's the kicker, he's African-American.

So, tell me, what are the chances this is someone from a past life? I mean could he actually be my brother? I mean nearly 7 billion people right, a child born every minute (or less) what are even the chances of meeting someone bearing such strange similarities!? To me I have just never heard of this before.

Please, tell me I am over reacting and show me the numbers, I would be very interested in seeing them, or don't and instead hook me up with interesting links or videos on reincarnation.

I guess I might as well list the major differences:
-He's an inch taller
-Has extremely long feet (16")
-He's much more socially inclined than myself and has more success with relationships
-Religion (He's Baptist/Agnostic I'm Atheist/Buddhist)
-Birthplace (I was born in CA. he was born in NY)

[edit on 5-10-2009 by GenLo]

[edit on 5-10-2009 by GenLo]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by GenLo

That is pretty cool. Reminds me of reading those Ripley's books when I was a kid.

When I was about 10 or 11 we moved to a new side of town. I ended up becoming best friends with a kid, we both road amateur BMX. Ended up that we were born on the exact same day (Xmas eve), in the same hospital within 2 hours of each other and our Mom's remembered each other.

I guess not to strange in a big city but it was pretty cool at that age.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by lucentenigma

Was it the same town you were born in? Still amazing happening to meet someone like that after 10 years.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by GenLo

Was it the same town you were born in? Still amazing happening to meet someone like that after 10 years.

No it was a different town but not too far from the city we were both born in. The metro population is around 4.4 million so I guess the odds were up there.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by GenLo

Genlo,

we have argued on other threads, and I am still not entirely certain of your position. You describe yourself as "atheist" meaning no existence of "deities", ergo there is no "logic" to your reincarnation, as nothing "put" you into contact with this individual.

So within your own framework, would this not fall under coincidence, or, if in search of something "super" natural then perhaps just synchronicity? The names and other facts could be thought of this way:

Highly coincidental is the initials and mother's birth location, but still not enough to make it eerie.

Year of birth is not coincidental as many people go into the military at the same time (right out of high school) so there are probably a lot of guys your same age in your same rank (or one up or one down).

Enlisted ranks have a high concentration of single parent households, so that wouldn't be abnormal, either.

Natural chemistry isn't really a sign of a past life either.

I think all of this is very synchronous and cool, though. Since I do believe the Universe/G-D allows for this type of attraction/creation I would think it very special that you are brought together, but I can also separate myself from my own beliefs to give you the proper skeptical argument.

Perhaps, you use the shared experience to build a harmonious relationship with him, yes?

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Ya that is certainly some high odds there!

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Just because he has some similar traits and background to you doesn't mean he is related to you (even in a so-called past life)- I have 3 older brothers and we are all totally different. Eye, hair colour; height; beliefs; personality; preferences - all different.
Yes, we have the same parents ... the postman is not involved!

Look at clouds long enough and you will see the Face of Jesus. We all find something if we look long enough, or want it to be so.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
the universe makes more sense when you simply step back from the synchronous mind-boggling details and accept how vast and amazing it is, all the pieces will fall together in subjective time, we are simply one mind experiencing itself as so many have already parroted..

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
6 billion people.
300 million in america.
1,454,515 on active duty in military.
200,337 female so 1,244,663

i would continue but googleing is hard.

well theirs 2 of you so your odds are about 1:622 331

just from the research i have done. if you factor in everything else i guess the odds will get worse. or better. im very tired.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Tesla

It is vastly more narrowed than that.

The average person enters the military (enlisted) at 18 or 19 so it stands to reason they would have a similar birth year. Boot camp is scheduled in intervals so that is also within reason. A lot of people are into martial arts and/or Japan and that "code" appeals to the same sort of people that join the military, so that is also within reason. As for names, there are popular birth names for individuals each year. For example, you won't find many girls named "Gladys" now, but you will find a lot of "Payten"s and "Taylor"s. I had three "Thomas Jefferson______" (TJ)s at my high school.

I think its pretty neat tho. Maybe there is a supernatural reason for it, or maybe not.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Tesla

Sorry the kind of odds I was looking for were beyond only using two factors, population and military.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

How many friends do you have with similar traits that go beyond having the same hobbies?

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by GenLo

Probably just coincidental. When I was stationed in California, there was a civilian off base with the same name (first, middle, and last), drove the exact same year/make/model/color car, same insurance agency, looked enough like me that people got use mixed up (so much so that it took a few minutes for people that knew him to realize that I wasn't him). Found out through our insurance agency that his ssn was one digit different than mine (coincidentally on the same day someone backed into me enough to rock my car, and he rear ended someone hard enough to bust the front end of his car).

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   

we have argued on other threads, and I am still not entirely certain of your position. You describe yourself as "atheist" meaning no existence of "deities", ergo there is no "logic" to your reincarnation, as nothing "put" you into contact with this individual.

My position on religion is that there is no god and that science has simply yet to uncover the realities of the after-life mostly this delves into the realm of string theory and quantum physics, and the philosophy of Buddhism just fits so perfectly.

So within your own framework, would this not fall under coincidence, or, if in search of something "super" natural then perhaps just synchronicity? The names and other facts could be thought of this way:

I don't see the idea of reincarnation or such coincidences as anything "super-natural" simply something that delves into the unexplained. I have had a reading on past lives before but that was many years ago and I never go into that sort of thing, in an effort to find peace with myself and gain further understanding I attempt to piece together what makes up my life today and perhaps make peace with those lives that have impacted me.

Perhaps, you use the shared experience to build a harmonious relationship with him, yes?

No actually, like I said, we act like adolescent siblings and really don't get along but for some reason we enjoy each others company, like characters who often brawl with each other and end up drinking together later like it was all in good fun.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by SpacePunk

That's a bit strange. Perhaps in a world of infinity experiences like ours are more common than I think.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by GenLo

...and if I have friend's with unusually similiar interests/traits/personalities to myself, that would possibly make them a brother from a past life?

Coincidence is the noteworthy alignment of two or more events or circumstances without obvious causal connection. The word is derived from the Latin co- ("in", "with", "together") and incidere ("to fall on").

Link

Take a deep dreath and taste all that reality. It's surprisingly refreshing and frequently mysterious.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

Great question, great question as in, there is no way for me to answer it with any good use coming to it. You are entitled to your opinion.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by GenLo

Sometimes it does make you wonder. I used to blame him for sucking up my good karma before it reached me.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by GenLo

Honestly, I wouldn't look into it too much. You can probably find at least another one million people like that or that share many of those same exact similarities. Hell, it was quiet a shock to learn my whole name, first, middle and last wasn't unique to just me. I mean... what are the chances of that as well? It doesn't mean anything weird or otherworldly.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
You where lovers in a past life.

Nelson:
HA HA!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join