It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia's Deadliest. Thanks for the Fosters beer and the Body Bag.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

That's actually a good question and frankly I'd never thought of it. Maybe it's to freak out its victims... I do know that when one dropped onto my bed one night, it had far too many legs for my liking -- especially as they all seemed to be engaged in moving it in my direction.

That CSIRO article tells us that they have up to 191 pairs of legs (and a minimum of 15 pairs). I didn't stop to count the "pairs" of the one on my bed.

I don't recall using my own (2) legs at all to leave my bed, which makes me think that we can levitate for short periods if the situation demands it...

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
Actually whote tail bites do not necessairly cause amputation of limbs. In fact the amputatuion of limbs from a white tail spider is extremely rare.

Its rare for anyone to get anything more than a painful red spot on their skin

The white-tailed spider has a bad reputation, but there is no proof that its bite causes long-term tissue damage.

Most victims suffer only localised pain, redness and swelling which may last from a few hours to a few days, although in some cases the symptoms are more severe

And zazz, I would be more afarid of funnel webs rather than the white tail

Im not sure if this is 100% true, but the antivenom can only be taken 1x in a lifetime for a funnel web bite?

Had a friend bitten by one a few weeks back on a farm near goulburn and they wanted to wait and see whether the bite was going to do him damage before giving him the shot.... ("Yep he's dead.... quick give him the shot!")

In the illawarra we are pretty clear of animals and nasties unless u live in a really uncleared property... thank jeebus.

Dave

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by JackWestJr

Some nice recollections there Jack.
Would it be Cradle Mountain in Tassie that you were trying to recall the name of?

Yeah in the country people can be pretty relaxed about such stuff. It's good in some ways but like you said it can have its down side.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I have always thought that when God made the Earth he chose to take a piece of OZ that just didn't fit right and made it part of the US and called it ARIZONA

Just a lil list of why my state should be attached to Oz

Mountain Lions

Looks cute... once in awhile eats your kid, loves puppies as snacks

Black Bear

Usually leaves people alone but occasionally run you down and bite your skull open

Black Widow

Not as dangerous as the funnel spider, but you might have 50 of them in your garage

Brown Recluse

As above, not as fatal as either Black widow or Funnel spider but if your into knots the size of a baseball that leave permanent scars here's your friend

43 species of Scorpion

43 species the young of many can kill you, they like to fall out of trees onto you or hide in your slippers

Killer bees

Well, about the funniest attack you will ever see, nothing like watching someone run from a swarm of bees... cept the laughs stop when they die

3 kinds of fire ant

Not usually deadly but they sure make playing in the dirt tough for kids... happen to be allergic? You die

Tarantulas

Not deadly but makes the list for freight factor... nothing like a spider the size of your hand in your bed.

13 species of Rattle Snake including sidewinders

Every where and some can kill with a single bite

Gila Monsters

Nasty lil monsters, thankfully they mostly live underground, for some insane reason they are protected from us

Sanoran Toad

You might enjoy this toad if you touch it, toad licking isn't unknown for certain "fun time" seeking youths, but it will kill your dog or cat

Coral Snake

Poison 3x deadlier than a Cobra

Giant Centipede

Usually not fatal...but come on , imagine waking up with this son of a gun on your leg.... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhghhhh

Okay, so you will stay away from these things and enjoy the many lovely cuddly creatures... NOPE Rabies Don't pet the cuddlies! If that wasn't bad enough... their fleas have Bubonic Plauge

Okay... you'll just keep the kids in the yard? Our soil has Anthrax

That's why I have CDC out post Rabies, Anthrax and Plague... (a definite recipie for Zombie outbreak if you ask me)

and then the rumors... Chupacabras, giant python like snakes, Sasquatch and more... who knows?

In any event, AZ needs to be an island off the coast of OZ for sure

[edit on 5-10-2009 by mopusvindictus]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by daptodave

Im not sure if this is 100% true, but the antivenom can only be taken 1x in a lifetime for a funnel web bite?

Had a friend bitten by one a few weeks back on a farm near goulburn and they wanted to wait and see whether the bite was going to do him damage before giving him the shot.... ("Yep he's dead.... quick give him the shot!")

In the illawarra we are pretty clear of animals and nasties unless u live in a really uncleared property... thank jeebus.
Dave

Hi Dave,

I'd never heard or read that the funnel web anti-venom can only be given once in a lifetime so I did some digging. The CSL (Commonwealth Serum Laboratories) is the best reference as they make the stuff so I checked one of their references and it doesn't mention this once-only thing so that could be a an urban myth.

Anyway here's a link to CSL's Antivenom Handbook for Funnelwebs.

The main things they note are that only the Sydney funnelweb has been proved to cause fatalities (can kill in an hour! Sheesh!), and also that as people can have bad reactions to the antivenom, then it's best to observe the patient first.

Although Goulburn isn't real close to Sydney I'd say it's still close enough, so that one with your friend was a good case for using antivenom. After all, spiders can travel, specially these days when they can get free rides on farm trucks etc.

Hope he's all okay now anyway. Getting bit by any decent-sized spider is not a pleasant experience, even they're not the deadly ones.

Cheers,

Mike

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Dave

I dont think its urban myth. I think you can take it more than once, but they have to really watch you as it slams your system.

If there is either a sudden fall in blood pressure or bronchospasm, after starting the antivenom infusion, then temporarily stop the antivenom and give adrenaline by subcutaneous injection(1:1000 solution), give 100% O2 and IV fluids (such as Haemaccel®, but be cautious of fluid overload). Once the untoward antivenom reaction is thus controlled, cautiously recommence antivenom infusion. Adrenaline dose; for adults give 0.5mL (0.5mg) initially; for children give 0.01mg/kg initially. Repeat as necessary and try IM injection if no response to SC injection. If bronchospasm is the major problem, try nebulised adrenaline, 2mL of 1:1000 solution.

www.toxinology.com...

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Of course our fruit bats (as my mum calls them) if you get bitten by one of them your in trouble as they carry rabbies. Wild life volunteers have to get a shot first for that.
reply to post by JackWestJr

I was always under the impression that rabies is nonexistent in Australia. Is that just a myth?

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by gemineye

Exactly what I thought! But here you go, Im learning at a rate of knots in this thread

ABL is unique to Australia and currently it is only found in Australian bat species. If a human case of ABL is diagnosed in Victoria or ABL is found in another animal species such as a dog or cat, investigation and control measures similar to those for a rabies case, should be instigated.

www.health.vic.gov.au...

[edit on 5-10-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

Awe, ok. Thanks for that!

One of these days I'm going to make it across the pond and pop into Oz for a visit. I'll definitely be avoiding the Fosters though, hehe.
Just not a beer drinker... but now those fruity overpriced mixed things... good stuff!

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by gemineye

I was always under the impression that rabies is nonexistent in Australia. Is that just a myth?

It certainly is a myth...you just have to watch an Aussie rules game at the MCG to see that is is widespread!

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Great thread.

My mum was bitten by two redbacks on the back yard toilet as a kid and she survived. So there's always hope if you are bitten.

I think we Aussies are born and bred to understand the inherent dangers in our bush and backyards, and so many of us know what to touch and what to leave alone.

Many will kill a snake in their yard, which I find quite sad really. I will move the snake or spider on, preferably back outside to where it is safer for them. So never underestimate the uses of a good floor broom for sweeping angry big snakes out of the house!!!

As for tourists getting eaten by Crocs, well you can't blame the crocs for wanting some tasty international feast now can you?

[edit on 5-10-2009 by Tayesin]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike

Dave

Hi Dave,

I'd never heard or read that the funnel web anti-venom can only be given once in a lifetime so I did some digging. The CSL (Commonwealth Serum Laboratories) is the best reference as they make the stuff so I checked one of their references and it doesn't mention this once-only thing so that could be a an urban myth.

Anyway here's a link to CSL's Antivenom Handbook for Funnelwebs.

The main things they note are that only the Sydney funnelweb has been proved to cause fatalities (can kill in an hour! Sheesh!), and also that as people can have bad reactions to the antivenom, then it's best to observe the patient first.

Although Goulburn isn't real close to Sydney I'd say it's still close enough, so that one with your friend was a good case for using antivenom. After all, spiders can travel, specially these days when they can get free rides on farm trucks etc.

Mike

Was watching a doco aust deadliest last night, and the "Sydney" funnel web ranges from the northern most point of Newcastle and from memory, ranges right down passt Goulburn erea. So they may call it the Syndey Funnell but it has a big range. Maybe its the Sydney funnel dueto the amount of casualites in the last few years.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I might just pop out and take a pic of a Red for you. We get nice big fat ones here

The worst part of all is that we have to go and get wood for our fire, andI have the 4x4 so my car gets taken to do this job. I have jumped outta my ar sooo many times over the last few years due to spiders taking up residence, and walking around whilst I am drivving, that I must look like I need a drink. The worst part is when people stop, they ALLL know why you jumped outta the car, and yes its funny, but so not at the time.

[edit on 5-10-2009 by The_Seeker]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
You Aussies also have that world famous
bird-eating golden orb spider.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Orion65

I HATE that fellow. So any times I have been caught up in its web. Especially of a night. The are scary

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
Wolf Spider

I got bitten by one of those while lyng in a hammock back in darwin. I didnt initially feel the bite until half my hand and wrist swelled up a little later. The big bastards also jump. I tried cathcing one, one day and when I went tp put a glass over it to catch it it jumped onto the wall, lol. Not deadly but painful bite

AND WHAT AUSSIE CAR WOULD BE COMPLETE WITHOUT A HUNTSMAN TO WALK ACROSS THE STEERING WHEEL WHILE DRIVING!

The Huntsman

Ah another spider that has bitten me. Got bitten by a 2 inch one when I was younger. Also when I was in Darwin I saw one chase a small gecko across my car dashboard....while I was doing 80km/h. Luckily Im not to afraid of them, lol

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Selahobed
My missus seems to think that queenslanders are more auzzie than anyone else, and after various business trips to Melbourne I dont see her way of thinking,

Obviosuly both of you have never been to Darwin or into the desert where I currently live. Now these places are Aussie

Oh and I have lived in Queensland and Melbourne

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Now that would be an interesting thread/debate. What state is the Aussiest in Oz

Sorry very off topic.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
what is with hunstmen and car windows?

I had one about 3 months ago. I just came off the harbour bridge and was in peak hour traffic on the Eastern Distibutor when what I thought was a wild boar came across my window, and I was doing 80kms perhour, yet they just slightly bend their legs and stay on the window with ease, like they're out to blow dry the hairs on their legs.
I slammed on the brakes between 2 lanes, jumped out of the car and just started screamimng and shaking my hair. The cars all behind me stopped and I banked up traffic for an hour Im not kidding all the way to Ryde lol!!!!!
A guy got out and said, You got a spider in your car lady? He came up and looked at it and "Jeeezus thats bloody huge, Im not gonna move that"
Eventually a ute driver was braver enough to flick it off the car, and I kid you not, I heard a THUD like a footstep when it hit the ground.
It was an Xfile I tell, an Xfile.

I have been known to not sleep in my bed for 2 months because I couldnt find a spider I spotted in there.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Hmmm lovely thread... all those nasty critters...

Sounds like a disinfo campaign to keep people out of Oz

And isn't Fosters a Canadian Beer brewed by Molsen Brewery

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join