It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So what if I am a "hypocrite"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
There has been a trend on ATS that involves the word hypocrisy.

How are people using it? Well, the way it seems is that if you label someone as a hypocrite, they are automatically wrong in their views.

So that leads me to another question. What makes someone a hypocrite? I will show you the definition.

a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, esp. a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.

Now that we know what a hypocrite is, let me show you how I could be considered one amongst some of your views.

I believe in freedom of choice. No one should be able to make you choose to do something that you do not want to do. So would I be a hypocrite if I would use violence to persuade someone not giving this opportunity to everyone? If slavery still existed, would I be a hypocrite for killing a slave owner, so the slaves could make their own choices?

This leads to my point that almost EVERYTHING we discuss here on ATS is situational, and has lurking factors. Nothing is black or white as you see it at face value, and in reality, everything has an unlimited number of sides. Not just two (as many enjoy believing).

What if I am a pacifist? Would I be a hypocrite if I killed a man entering my house, trying to harm my family? Maybe, maybe not. My point?

It does not make me wrong in my views.

Thoughts?

[edit on 4-10-2009 by FritosBBQTwist]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Look if you want to label yourself as something, either positive or negative, that's your problem.

Myself, I attempt to be label free, and don't put much thought into what others who have no effect on my life think of me.

You can label yourself.

Don't expect ATS or it's membership to acknowledge them.

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Learn what being a hypocrite actually is (like you have done) and don't be one. Make sure what you say is in line with your beliefs. Then when someone calls you a hypocrite you can point out the error in their statement.

It may very well be that after you point out the error they will still think you're a hypocrite. That's their ignorance. But if you are truly being a hypocrite then don't say you are not. (This is not specifically about you.) It is about pure honesty.

Be honest. Say what's in line with your beliefs. Learn enough about what you are saying to know it's true. Don't call someone else a hypocrite if you yourself are a hypocrite, as that would be something a hypocrite would do. (Paradox, eh? lol.)

If there are stipulations in your degree of pacifism I would say so. "I am a pacifist except when my life or someone else's life is in danger." You don't exactly have to as there are multiple definitions for pacifism. One would be opposed to war. Another is war or violence of any kind. You can also be a pacifist as someone who is opposed to war as a means of resolving disputes. You are opposed to it, but the degree of an oppositional stance you will take is up in the air. For some people that might mean voting in opposition to it. For another that might mean lying down in front of a tank.

If you are criticizing a group of people and you are part of the group, you must criticize yourself also or else you are a hypocrite. There's nothing wrong with seeing a problem, when you are part of the problem, and calling for measures of change.

[edit on 4-10-2009 by theyreadmymind]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I think I'd agree with ^10, but I might take it a step further...don't expect the folks on ATS to ACCEPT your Own labels, but also, and perhaps more importantly, don't expect some to try and NOT label YOU as they see fit.

many people seem to NEED labels...sometimes to win an argument, other times to try and compartmentalize, demean or in rare instances for understanding...

To me, it is JUST as important to let those labels slip off of you as it is to avoid using them yourself.

Deep down, I'm pretty sure most of us realize that we don't really know squat, but if I can call you an idiot, and have you believe it, then I can feel, if only for an instant, that I'm not really so dumb after all.

Screw the labels Frito.

[edit on 4-10-2009 by KSPigpen]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I feel like it's impossible NOT to be a hypocrite but I can never articulate why.

Because speaking, using words, is lying. Automatically.

Words are lies. Why? Because they are never what they stand for and always grossly twist reality in our brains. Words, and language, is awful. But how do you communicate without it? It's hard to express ideas without language or any other equivalent system that turns reality into symbols that do not reflect the true nature of reality.

Moving beyond that, there are lots of other apparent problems trying to embody all the things that are "good" in a world that makes so much practical use out of the "bad."

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Look if you want to label yourself as something, either positive or negative, that's your problem.

Myself, I attempt to be label free, and don't put much thought into what others who have no effect on my life think of me.

You can label yourself.

Don't expect ATS or it's membership to acknowledge them.

~Keeper

Not a dig on you at all but this post just makes me think of that southpark episode where stan became part of the goth click. What do you need to do to join the nonconformist group? Conform to their views and actions.....

I think its impossible to not have a label of some sort but I get what your trying to convey and agree with you pretty much.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

I think hypocrits and religion tie together nicely for me most of the time.

I live in Baptist country, and I know a few Deacons. They are the most hypocritical people I have ever met.

They both have DUI's, and cheat on their wives like they need to be populating the whole world, and they are the worst gossips. Do something they would consider wrong, and they will tell everyone about it!

So go ahead and be as big a hypocrit as you like. As long as you go to church on sunday and say a few amens, you're good to go!

edit typo

[edit on 5-10-2009 by Blanca Rose]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
First off, I am not trying to give myself any label. I could care less for labels, and that is the POINT of the thread.

What I was trying to say is that there are members here on ATS who label other members as hypocrites in a way to lessen their opinion. While it may work and be true sometimes, it is going back to the idea that "you are either right, or wrong." Or "you are either with us, or against us."

THAT is the ideology I see here on ATS. One way or the other. One person is right, and the other is wrong. "I" am not claiming I believe such ideas, but I am claiming that I view it across the boards over and over again.

And to those of you who are saying you do not care for other peoples opinions about you, I find that ironic in the sole reason that you are posting here.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by FritosBBQTwist

THAT is the ideology I see here on ATS. One way or the other. One person is right, and the other is wrong. "I" am not claiming I believe such ideas, but I am claiming that I view it across the boards over and over again.

Sadly, I see this also. Hopefully, all of us as members can LEARN from each other. I know I have changed a lot of my views and ideology from discussion with people on ATS. Some old habits die hard with people, but, hopefully at least we all have consideration for the views of other people without labeling.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

Usually when I start calling out people on hypocrisy it's based on their stated opinions on a subject. Such as one person who fully one-hundred percent accepts the very fundamentals of evolutionary theory as true and occurring in nature, but then contradictory to that belief states that evolutionary is not true and could never happen. Statements or arguments such as that will get me calling a person a hypocrite.

Usually what they have to say *is* wrong in such a situation simply because accepting the foundations of the theory and then arguing the theory is wrong, is well... wrong and stupid. So, when a person argues a point in such a manner, most if not all of the argument is automatically invalidated just because of the contradictory nature of it all.

Now, I'm not sure in which situational arguments your being called a hypocrite, but if it *is* contradictory of beliefs that incites the label being given, I would personally advise one to rethink *how* they are arguing a point. Contradictory/hypocritical arguments do make the argument 'wrong' as your arguing both for and against at the same time. Of course, that's based upon whatever situation you, yourself are in or arguing about. Which, since I don't know the exact point, I'm not necessarily saying yourself is a hypocrite. Just trying to explain why some people, at least myself, would call someone a hypocrite.

new topics

top topics

join