It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America: A nation of sad, suicidal, depressed, fitful, lonely despondent women

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Here's an interesting (though longish) and thought-provoking piece on the plight of "the modern women." Ties social problems in with the economic downturn, etc. You may not agree with some or all of it, but its certainly food for thought. It also suggests some possible solutions for women (and men) who are feeling this way these days.

Link:
www.luckinlove.com...

An exerpt:

A beautiful forty year old New Yorker confessed to me that she wants to kill herself and was saving sleeping pills to do the job. She came to the city a decade ago to make it big in her work, did very well for ten years, but then the recession hit. She is deeply in debt, has no one, is alienated from a dysfunctional family that made her heart sore a decade ago, so there's no going back to them. She lives in a little one room apartment in a borough of the big, anonymous city. To her mind, Death is better than facing the four walls of her cul-de-sac one day longer. I can see her point of view. What's left for her? She came to the big city to make it, a skewed strategy at the gitgo but the only one that girls today have left to them. They cannot stay in the dysfunctional family mire into which they were born. They left home with their little suitcase years ago after spending their teens watching a counterfeit media full of rock star myths, movie star chic and addictive celeb worship that dyed the skeins of their mind this ROSY PINK. Believing in PINK MYTHS, they chose to aim at the Capitalist Dream of "Girls Making it Big."

WHY LEAVE HOME IN THE FIRST PLACE? FAME AND POWER AND MONEY in SHOW BIZ is an illusory, ill thought out "planned revenge or satisfaction" but one which RUNS in modern girls' veins.. (The Horatio Alger myth is the predominant, American guiding philosophy and has been for over a century. ALGERISM is about being an honorable, diligent man and making it big and entering the next class up in flaming colors. One doesn't need to have read Alger's writings to have this myth in one's bloodstream guiding one's life. It's the zeitgeist of Capitalist novels, tv, magazines, all the programming we are fed on shares this Cinderella mythology. As soon as FEMALES were allowed into a marketplace which promised upward mobility, the myth of fame and power began to infect us. So when THE BIG PINATA doesn't appear promptly, disenchantment follows. And then identity shock. Oh my, what am I? A LOSER?

When the average girl slams up against the STIGMA of being a loser, she will be BEREFT. But that's what happens in the big city. Soon she is caught in a cross wind of a plummeting job market, rising rents, skyrocketing credit card debt (trickily based on incremental interest rates gathering like storm clouds on the unpaid principle, fear of not having a credit rating as debtors today learn that one can LIVE off the card. The credit card has become father and mother to our orphaned kids today and it's a false protection at best. When they slam up against "no more clients" for what they do, no jobs if they wanted to cross over into the job market, they keenly feel how orphaned they are, stuck in the costly rented room that turns into a horrid jail cell and hara-kiri may seem a good solution.

From the girl's point of view, forty, unmarried, no celebrity job? She has nothing; she is nothing. And there's nowhere to go to recover as her parents live in mud city ignorance, in pig sty's she wouldn't let her dog eat off --if she had a dog. Besides, there's no money to travel home. She owes a HUGE SUM right now including a few months rent. I can see her point of view which is 'why not be scientific about it and just pluck her non flowering, non fruiting branch from the tree of life' and collect enough pills to do herself in. Or if her pills miss the mark, sleep in a coma for the next forty years in some charity hospital.

She is disinclined to recognize that she is a GENETIC MIRACLE, the final triumphant branch of evolution, the 'bestest ever' twig, bud and fruit of 3.2 million years of the grinding away of Mother Evolution. She is a masterpiece of Darwinistic selection, smart as a whip, funny, smart to the point of being cynical, very beautiful and has a lot to give. Only no men have come along to enchant, amuse and enliven.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Hmmm, interesting.
I can relate, seriously, but I don't totally agree.
Certainly feeling suicidal is ridiculous, and although I have been deeply depressed, it's never even crossed my mind. It's a chicken **** cop out and thats all it is.
Your life is changing constantly, and if you find yourself in such a situation as the woman in your posted example per se, you don't quit..ever..
YOU REINVENT YOURSELF, AND YOU MOVE FORWARD.
You have simply ended one phase of your life, nothing more. Keep going.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I found this article interesting because I agree with some of her points, but others I find ridiculous. For example, she claims all the best men were killed off in wars and now today's men are too pathetic for the modern women. That's just garbage. But she is correct that the media sells people (both men and women) a bill of goods and a bundle of lies about what they can expect out of life, and this leads to a sense of failure and worthlesness if people fail to reach the top 0.01% of the ladder.

This latter aspect is the main problem, in my view...again, for both men and women. Men want a 10-out-of-10 centerfold model for a wife or GF, while women expect "Mr. Big" to drive up in his Bentley and carry her off like the fabled white knight of yore. People have impossibly unrealistic standards. Again, I blame the media.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Good, one less pitiful disgusting human on this god forsaken speck of dust. I have absolutely no sympathy for suicidal people and just hope they do it in a dumpster as to not waste space in a cemetery.

From the girl's point of view, forty, unmarried, no celebrity job? She has nothing; she is nothing. And there's nowhere to go to recover as her parents live in mud city ignorance, in pig sty's she wouldn't let her dog eat off --if she had a dog. Besides, there's no money to travel home. She owes a HUGE SUM right now including a few months rent. I can see her point of view which is 'why not be scientific about it and just pluck her non flowering, non fruiting branch from the tree of life' and collect enough pills to do herself in. Or if her pills miss the mark, sleep in a coma for the next forty years in some charity hospital.

Yea, cause obviously if you can't make it big you must be a looser. What a sham, people that buy that garbage get hit hard with a large dose of reality. The strong figure it out and just go on with their lives. The weak off themselves in a pathetic show of anticlimactic angst against a cold cruel world.

So it's one or the other for this pathetic waste of air? No middle ground possible? Well that's her choice.

She is disinclined to recognize that she is a GENETIC MIRACLE, the final triumphant branch of evolution, the 'bestest ever' twig, bud and fruit of 3.2 million years of the grinding away of Mother Evolution. She is a masterpiece of Darwinistic selection, smart as a whip, funny, smart to the point of being cynical, very beautiful and has a lot to give. Only no men have come along to enchant, amuse and enliven.

Women do not need a man to define them as a person. Women can and are unique, strong, and independent with no need of a man to give them that strength. This suicidal piece of excrement needs to grow up out of her self deluded poor me pittiful pendulum swing of isolation resentment anger and angst. Either put up or shut up, grow up, move on, make some hard choices, and give up the pipe dream of being a millionaire or movie goddess or rock star.

What, is this lady expecting men to fall out of the sky into her lap? Can she not ask some guy out or is that too unlady like for her?

[edit on 10/4/2009 by whatukno]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   
That's life....get used to it.

If only some women would stop living their lives from lists maybe they would enjoy more of the natural flow to things and find it easier to be happy with their "lot".

In everything, for all....."warts and all".

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

For example, she claims all the best men were killed off in wars and now today's men are too pathetic for the modern women.

With that kind of thinking; no wonder she is saving up her pills. She's crazy. Actually she does need to check out before she drags some poor guy into her insanity that might actually fall in love with her.

join