It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does "skunk works" and "grey area" make ats look bad?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I think I know why people think ats users are nut jobs. The gray area and skunk works. They go in there, read a couple threads and think, wow these guys really are nuts.

It would be nice to have some evidence to back up your claims, but most of those threads are hair brained theories, seriously. I thought evidence was mandatory but I guess not?

When someone calls you crazy for going on ats, you can blame skunk works and grey area for making the whole site look bad.

[edit on 4-10-2009 by Chovy]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
A hundred years ago, aeroplanes, radio, moon landings, TV and the internet would have all gone in Skunkworks...

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by HiAliens
A hundred years ago, aeroplanes, radio, moon landings, TV and the internet would have all gone in Skunkworks...

so? What are you trying to say.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I must defend Skunk Works - it's my favourite forum. It's a poor day when I can't find something in there to amuse me. Some of it is thought-provoking, too.

I don't know whether or not it harms ATS's reputation. I mean, a serious-minded person need never even look into it. (Not too sure if 'serious-minded' is the term I want here, but it'll have to do).

It would be a shame to see people judging ATS to be full of 'nut-jobs' based on the content of just two of its forums. I'd suggest that said more about their narrow-mindedness than it said about ATS.

[edit on 4-10-2009 by berenike]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
No kidding. It's obvious what a great drain they are to the site what with the numbers and participation falling way off and... wait... All that seems to be up.

There's nothing wrong with Skunk Works as a concept or a forum. Perhaps you ought to read up on the origin of the term. Lockheed Martin and Ben Rich. It has a distinguished pedigree.

As for the Gray Area, it's an ideal place for people to share their personal experiences. It keeps the UFO forum for one, clear of the purely anecdotal and available for analysis of evidence. It prevents the derailment of threads by people insisting upon evidence for situations where admittedly no tangible evidence exists.

Don't be such a hater. Each forum serves a valuable purpose. If you think all the threads in Gray Area or Skunk Works are unworthy, don't go there. The site has done you a favor by allowing you to avoid those types of speculative or personal threads.

I'd suggest that said more about their narrow-mindedness than it said about ATS.

Exactly.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
No I think enough insantiy can be found in all the ATS areas. I don't think Skunk Works is what is killing the place if it even is killing it

-Kyo

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Chovy

I agree on the evidence part, but skunk works is a place for people to tell of alleged experiences. It is up to us to read them and decide for ourselves. I do not outright believe the stories in there, but I also will not call them liars.

I would say over 95% of what is written there is total BS. However, there is that 5% that may not be.

If one doesn't like a story, they do not have to read it.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by kidflash2008

I agree on the evidence part, but skunk works is a place for people to tell of alleged experiences.

Small point of clarification - Skunk Works is designed for speculation. Those "What If" type threads or theories about events which may not be backed up by facts. Sort of a good place to flesh out some thoughts in a collaborative way. Again, there's nothing wrong with debating the topic, or disagreement. If someone posts a theory, I'd hope they're looking for discussion and some assistance on finding the flaws. Keeping it civil and absent personal attacks is key when interacting with fellow members.

The Gray Area is specifically there for Personal Experiences which will have no corroborative evidence. Asking for "evidence" in that forum is considered bad form, since if there was any evidence, it wouldn't be in that forum. Questioning for vetting a thread starter in that forum is not only ok, it's expected. As with all forums, we expect the flow to be civil, and not of a mocking or insulting tone.

Knowing what the forums are for and abiding by the rules will enhance your experience here as well as make it more pleasant for everyone else. For people not interested in threads devoid of concrete "evidence", those two forums are probably not ones to visit. There are many other forums on ATS/BTS in which to participate.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chovy
I think I know why people think ats users are nut jobs. The gray area and skunk works. They go in there, read a couple threads and think, wow these guys really are nuts.

It would be nice to have some evidence to back up your claims, but most of those threads are hair brained theories, seriously. I thought evidence was mandatory but I guess not?

When someone calls you crazy for going on ats, you can blame skunk works and grey area for making the whole site look bad.

[edit on 4-10-2009 by Chovy]

Skunk Works is forgivable. These are theories. Some are wild but if you want some evidence, you must be prepared to burn some green...

I think many can't afford the cost of scientific research. But if you insist, then by all means, your financial assistance would always be welcome!

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by berenike

Agreed on Skunk Works! Its one of my fav forums to get a laugh in.

To the OP

I know what is supposed to be in skunk works and the gray area so I dont take anything too seriously when I see it in there. No biggie IMO. If people are going to read ATS and pass judgement without really exploring the site then thats their problem not ours. Most people on here know what those two forums entail.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Chovy

What makes ATS look bad is people who don't understand what each of the forums is for.

Where else would "off the cuff" theories and crazy ideas get discussed but in "skunk works" and "grey area"?

Stick around a bit longer and you'll see why those forums exist, especially if you wake up in the middle of the night and notice 3 small puncture marks on your thigh or have a wacko idea concerning "them".

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Hey you do see some really good stuff on skunkworks. Its there for theories that have a little amount of evidence. Thats its purpose.

Other than that, its also good for a laugh on most occasions, so enjoy it

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Skunk works and grey area exist for a reason. If it wasn't for them, those "crazy" posts would go anywhere and everywhere. And who's place is it to determine what's too nutty for ATS anyway? You never know when somebody is really on to something.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
First of all I don't see skunkworks as the armpit of ATS at all.
There's some good stuff going on in there.

As for the grey area it give people as specific place to go tell their stories and others to explore those stories. It's up to if you want to peruse those stories or not.

Do they affect ATS on a whole ?
I don't believe it does.
Everyone has their favorite forums.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Chovy

I tend to avoid both of those forums because members aren't encouraged to provide any evidence to back up there claims . Such speculation is OK if it is at least backed up by logic the majority of the time I haven't seen this . I could on along these lines but you get the picture . Those two forums in no way reflect ATS as a whole any more then I do .

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I usually only read or post in the grey area. If there is one thing I abhor is moronic sceptics demanding proof like frothing mouthed, rabies ridden, wild dogs of Mexico. And that is insulting to the dogs of Mexico.

No, there are far too many ignoramus on here thinking they know it all and who have some weird perversion towards slamming anyone who has a differing opinion or knowledge to their views, against the proof wall.

I have little patience with the ignorant masses now and choose to be amongst the thinking broad minded in the grey area. We don't go screaming for proof but let stories unfold and make up our own minds. Most wonders of the world cannot be proven by science to date.

new topics

top topics

join