It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Massachusetts to Allow Gay Marriages

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Following in the footsteps of smaller municipalities, the state of Massachusetts is going to become the first state in the U.S. to allow gay marriages starting Monday.

Thousands of same-sex couples were ready to apply for marriage licenses. But the impact will reach well beyond Massachusetts' borders. Gay activists are expected to use the new marriages to challenge laws in other states that ban same-sex marriages. Opponents of gay marriage say they will step up efforts to pass similar laws, including an amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

Article
Mass. to allow gay marriage Monday

Related Links

Gay marriages clear final legal obstacle
Crowds Gather for Gay Weddings in Mass.
Judge denies bid to stop gay marriages

[Edited on 5-16-2004 by William One Sac]

[Edited on 5-16-2004 by William One Sac]

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   
'tis a good day indeed!!!
I'm glad law is winning over religion in this case.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Too long in coming. Let the gays live the way they want. What is the frickin problem. Mass., that's kind of suprising, would have thought that Calif. would have led the way.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 10:49 PM
link   
HERE! HERE!
A blow to intolerance!

Wiliam,2nd link refers to article on Helter Skelter remake with wrong title at head of article.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Thanks scottsquared. That was odd!

And I agree, I think this is long overdue. Although I am surprised like Intrepid, Massachusetts has alot of Roman Catholics living in it. I can't imagine the Catholic Church is going to be happy about this.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Jolly Good !

Its been long enough, its about time these men/women were given thier rights.

Deep

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Too far, this has gone way to far. The immorality of this country will be its demise.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nightwalker
Too far, this has gone way to far. The immorality of this country will be its demise.

Are you for real? In some of the oldest cultures in the world homosexuality is no different than being straight.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nightwalker

You sound just like my grandfather during the civil rights era. There are no righteous like the self-righteous.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 11:14 PM
link   

I think men like Bush will be its demise.

Deep

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 05:36 AM
link   
QUOTE:
I can't imagine the Catholic Church is going to be happy about this.

hahahaha

don't you know,friends,that in the vatican almost all cardinals and bishops are gay ?????

[Edited on 17-5-2004 by NOGODSINTHEUNIVERSE]

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 05:54 AM
link   
'bout time is what i say. could we expect some opposition from monsieur bush in the near future? who knows. but at it's level right now, there's not a lot that old bastard can do.

dfh out.

ps: hey vamp boy, cheer up.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Unfortunately, this will precipitate the great decline in our land. There was an earlier post about past great cultures accepting homosexuality equally with being straight, mind telling us what happened with those cultures? No, this is a very sad day for us.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Come-on Common,
Just how will codefying Gay Marrige as equally protectable under the law, precipitate "the great decline" you speak of? How is it "Right" or "Christian" to deny someone rights or equal protection because of thier sexual preferance? I cannot see how this form of intolerance can be beneficial to our churches or to our society.

Sorry to take away Human Free Will, but Homosexuality has much more to do with biological determinism, overpopulation in a specific gene pool, than as a concious choise of lifestyle.

Self alledged pious types need to work on thier own salvation/enlightenment. Dictating your beliefs will not help anyone else to self-enlightenment but will instead only doom you for presuming to judge another from your own self proclaimed exhaulted
position.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I'm all for gay marriage. The arguments you hear against it are the same ones you heard against inter-racial marriage. I don't think think I could live in a world where I couldn't date black women, but anyway. I worry about the political ramifications. That is Kerry's state. I kind of wish the gays waited until after the election, to push this issue. Bush isn't a friend to peolple who seek equality and justice. Are the Republicans happier than the Democrats right now? Will this be the wedge isue that helps Bush win? Well that, and rigging touch-screen voting. And having his brother purge voters from the Florida ballot.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by William One Sac
And I agree, I think this is long overdue. Although I am surprised like Intrepid, Massachusetts has alot of Roman Catholics living in it.

The ruling was a 4 -3 decision by the Mass. Supreme Court. The governor is having a conniption fit. I think the populace will have a chance to vote on it in a few years.

I believe this is only OK for Mass. residents. You can't walk in from NY and get married, for example, because the gov says that if it is not legal in your home state, then you can't get married in his state.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 10:19 AM
link   

I believe this is only OK for Mass. residents. You can't walk in from NY and get married, for example, because the gov says that if it is not legal in your home state, then you can't get married in his state.

True but odd, from a legal standpoint. Let's say, one state says you can marry at 17, one says 16 (Texas, right? With parents consent?), and one says 18. Each one of those states are interchangeable. Even though it's illegal in one state, they recognize it as legal, because it was legal from the original state. Wouldn't the same apply to gays? How is this different than the Dredd Scott case?

[Edited on 17-5-2004 by curme]

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by CommonSense
Unfortunately, this will precipitate the great decline in our land. There was an earlier post about past great cultures accepting homosexuality equally with being straight, mind telling us what happened with those cultures? No, this is a very sad day for us.

Oh yes. THIS will start the great decline. The "sanctity" of marriage should be reserved for God fearing straight people!!! By Jasus.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by scottsquared
Come-on Common,
Just how will codefying Gay Marrige as equally protectable under the law, precipitate "the great decline" you speak of? How is it "Right" or "Christian" to deny someone rights or equal protection because of thier sexual preferance? I cannot see how this form of intolerance can be beneficial to our churches or to our society.

Too many people confuse what is morally right with what is politically correct in today's culture. For example, the above quote knocks "Christian" over this issue. The fact is, such statements point to an ignorance of what the facts really are. The Biblical references to homosexuality date back to the very first book of the Bible and are referenced numerously during the first five books of the Bible. To the Bible bashers out there, these are the Hebrew scriptures, Christianity was still thousands of years away.

To the issue of great cultures that recognized homosexuality as equal, whatever happened to them? The fact is, there is a natural law created by God.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

Oh yes. THIS will start the great decline. The "sanctity" of marriage should be reserved for God fearing straight people!!! By Jasus.

Rant, Don't confuse natural law with the fact that some people simply have low IQ's. You're missing the point. BTW, I beleive careful examination of the photo would lead one to beleive the couple is Canadian.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join