It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Garbage The Solution To Tackling Climate Change?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Converting the rubbish that fills the world’s landfills into biofuel may be the answer to both the growing energy crisis and to tackling carbon emissions, claim scientists in Singapore and Switzerland. New research published in Global Change Biology: Bioenergy, reveals how replacing gasoline with biofuel from processed waste could cut global carbon emissions by 80%.

Source

Bio fuel is old news, "cellulosic ethanol" is the new hope:

Biofuels produced from crops have proven controversial because they require an increase in crop production which has its own severe environmental costs. However, second-generation biofuels, such as cellulosic ethanol derived from processed urban waste, may offer dramatic emissions savings without the environmental catch.

Climate change is a problem, using the problem as part of the solution is the best way to go, we have hope after all.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Well I guess it will decrease the amount of rubbish going into land fill and generate electricity. The idea has been used for ages. Check out Singapore for example.
On the other hand,however, it doesn't address the issue of the origins of the rubbish. The world needs to reduce it comsumption and wasteful behaviour to help the planet. Refuse, reduce, reuse, recycle. Start composting, buy stuff secondhand not new if possible, buy stuff with less packaging, repair something rather than dumping it. Use recycled building materials..the list goes on (as could i)

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Also, the real problem is people don't take responsibility for the waste they produce and are far too complacent....oh, I'm going on again....should never have got me started - s & f. But unfortunately you won't get many cos people usually don't think it's their problem (unless of course the garbage truck doesn't empty their bins)...thanks for the post.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
first of all global warming is global cooling ... read the memo in your inbox .

recycling is why we have no bronze age sculture , and have lost much of the history of the past written on bronze tablets .

one persons garbage is another persons treasure , I suspect it will work out if the goverment , laws and pushy "A" type personilitys don't screw the world up .

let me point out that much like garbage , intoxicating drugs were a problem that needed to be address'd .

prohibition did such a bang up job , they reached out to other narc's ... and see how safe your streets are.... see how drug use has gone down from the 19oo's when it was first begun , and how crime has gone down since the 19oo's

now you suggest you want to do the same with garbage .
do the same bang up job that you did with drugs .

finish what you started ... first end poverty , then end all drug use , and then teach our children... then take more upon your great sholders .... we will handle the other stuff while you show great success in these other tasks .

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Anyone else think we should just collect all the garbage, compile into one large pile and send it off into space? It worked in Futurama, at least for 1000 years

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Hey I think this is a great way to go and wondered years ago why it had not already been tried in the U.S. (but don't get me started on that).

Nevermind whether we produce too much garbage in the first place, or if it's global warming or global cooling...if we can offset what we produce by using it for biofuel, why not? Methinks it's an excellent idea and one worth trying by all means.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by idle_rocker

honestly , its a great idea .

but the best way to do it is the only problem .

currently , it is illgal to reclaim material from garbage .
currently sewage is protected from reuse of any kind .
currently the clean water act does not address improving the water ... it can only be left in its current condition .

functionaly envormental laws are used to provide legal attacks on any system or device of industry that might do any activity that has not been done in the past .

pay to play is the active concept .

you want to do anything out side the normal pattern , the permit process will send you to jail .

very much like a school or collage , fit in or drop out .

that is the system we have now .

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by readerone

What country do you live in? i thought Australia was backward but gee you have it real bad!

new topics

top topics

join