It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A few Wrongings in the bible.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Title is pretty eye catching huh...no, well you're here so, take the time, i'll try to format this one nicely.

*Note this is a "religious" thread, and will be according to King James Version*

Sexism

7For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.

8For the man is not of the woman: but the woman of the man.

9Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.

1 Corinthians 11:7-9

Ergo, god may not be to happy with the Women's Right movement.

34Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law.

35And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

1 Corinthians 14:34-35

There you go, the house of the lord, recommends that women, shouldn't have 'freedom of speech', if they feel they need to say something, they can do so at home, accordingly.

18Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord.

Colossians 3:18

Added in a definition of submit, so it is clearer of what this means.

" to yield to governance or authority "

13For Adam was first formed, then Eve.

14And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression

1 Timothy 2:13-14

So we now know where the blame lies, for ******* things up for everyone

I can go on and on, only if necessary, but for now, I'll leave the sexism at this.

What was Yahweh Thinking?

11And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

12That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

2nd Thessalonians, trying to keep up with the chapters sorry

This pretty much speaks for itself.

1 And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech.
2 And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there.
3 And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them thoroughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for mortar.
4 And they said, Go to, let us build us a city, and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.
5 And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.
6 And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
7 Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.
8 So the LORD scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city.
9 Therefore is the nae of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face of all the e

Genesis 11:1-9

Now I bolded, a very curious thing here, God samy let "US", which seems an odd thing to do, a single deity, who need use 'us', is quite confusing at that!

Now, this deity, goes out of his way, completely, to stop people, from the whole earth, who apparently spoke one language, (excluding other parts of the world, unfounded) and forced each a new language, thus changing their brains. Then why need to steal ribs!?

7Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you, nigh unto thee, or far off from thee, from the one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth;

8Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him:

9But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people.

10And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die; because he hath sought to thrust thee away from the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.

As Dawkins put it, "This is gods advice for you to do to, friends or family members, who try to tell you about another religion".

This surely, was not the god talked about at sunday school!

Alright, well I feel I have presented many, absurdities into the Christian Religion.

Now, I will list my sources, ultimately.

And I have not presented some 'chapters', to the bible, and I have noted the mistake and will be going back and entering them in appropriately.

I will also post Below a few resources for things following.

Source 1 King James Version Online
Biblical Contradictions
Atheist
The Big Ten
Special Questions for Atheists.

[edit on 4-10-2009 by Republican08]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Well since this thread has got as much play as a barbwired swingset.

I'll post some neat videos

Christopher Hitchens "What if It's True!?" 1

What if it's true 2!?

10 Questioning Questions

VIRUS OF FAITH SERIES.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Sexist segments of the new testament and the entire old testament are excluded from school teachings. That was the case for what I was taught in a Catholic school.

It's all about cherry picking only the "good parts". heh

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by igor_ats
Sexist segments of the new testament and the entire old testament are excluded from school teachings. That was the case for what I was taught in a Catholic school.

It's all about cherry picking only the "good parts". heh

You can cherry pick it as much as you like.

But till they start 'deleting' parts of the bible, people will see the alternatives parts of it.

I thought it was all one thing, till I started teaching myself about it, too many questions.

To many mind warping, and reality warpings, prescribed by preachers, and pastors, to me to decide to dismiss it all, which disturbed me.

As the Virus of Faith videos state, Nashing of Teeth and Burning of Eternal Fire, isn't metaphorical to a Child, it's real.

And they need psychological help to overcome it, thanks for screwing the youth.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   
First of all, why the King James version? That translation got a lot of things wrong, from what I understand. And surely Adam and Eve, not anyone else that the bible speaks about spoke the king's english.

With that being said, I think people take things way too personally. ie the bible said Eve screwed up so some think God was dissing all women in the earth's history. Not true. He is only talking about Eve.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blueracer
First of all, why the King James version? That translation got a lot of things wrong, from what I understand. And surely Adam and Eve, not anyone else that the bible speaks about spoke the king's english.

With that being said, I think people take things way too personally. ie the bible said Eve screwed up so some think God was dissing all women in the earth's history. Not true. He is only talking about Eve.

Alright.

Fair enough.

I was also raised primarily in the NIV Bible.

But even that i'm
about, especially.

Which version would you prefer.

I can only read OT Greek.

I know no hebrew

Which version would've been better?

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Any updated translation would be better than the KJ version. How about New World translation?

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blueracer
reply to post by Republican08

Any updated translation would be better than the KJ version. How about New World translation?

Ok, well BL, has gotten the best of me, I will do my best tonight, and do the rest tomorrow if need be.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   

7 For a man ought not to have his head covered, as he is God’s image and glory; but the woman is man’s glory. 8 For man is not out of woman, but woman out of man; 9 and, what is more, man was not created for the sake of the woman, but woman for the sake of the man. 1

1 Corinthians 11: 7-9

let the women keep silent in the congregations, for it is not permitted for them to speak, but let them be in subjection, even as the Law says. 35 If, then, they want to learn something, let them question their own husbands at home, for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in a congregation.

1 Corinthians 14:34-35

18 YOU wives, be in subjection to [your] husbands, as it is becoming in [the] Lord.

Colossians 3:1-18

For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 Also, Adam was not deceived, but the woman was thoroughly deceived and came to be in transgression.

1 Timothy 2:13-14

1 So that is why God lets an operation of error go to them, that they may get to believing the lie,

12 in order that they all may be judged because they did not believe the truth but took pleasure in unrighteousness.

1 Now all the earth continued to be of one language and of one set of words. 2 And it came about that in their journeying eastward they eventually discovered a valley plain in the land of Shi´nar, and they took up dwelling there. 3 And they began to say, each one to the other: “Come on! Let us make bricks and bake them with a burning process.” So brick served as stone for them, but bitumen served as mortar for them. 4 They now said: “Come on! Let us build ourselves a city and also a tower with its top in the heavens, and let us make a celebrated name for ourselves, for fear we may be scattered over all the surface of the earth.”
5 And Jehovah proceeded to go down to see the city and the tower that the sons of men had built. 6 After that Jehovah said: “Look! They are one people and there is one language for them all, and this is what they start to do. Why, now there is nothing that they may have in mind to do that will be unattainable for them. 7 Come now! Let us go down and there confuse their language that they may not listen to one another’s language.” 8 Accordingly Jehovah scattered them from there over all the surface of the earth, and they gradually left off building the city. 9 That is why its name was called Ba´bel, because there Jehovah had confused the language of all the earth, and Jehovah had scattered them from there over all the surface of the earth.

That's as far as I will go with the New World Translation.

Source
www.watchtower.org...

[edit on 4-10-2009 by Republican08]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Footnotes and Other fun things - taken from the NIV that I use

1. 1 Corinthians 11:7 Or 4 Every man who prays or prophesies with long hair dishonors his head. 5 And every woman who prays or prophesies with no covering (of hair) on her head dishonors her head—she is just like one of the "shorn women." 6 If a woman has no covering, let her be for now with short hair, but since it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair shorn or shaved, she should grow it again. 7 A man ought not to have long hair

~~So your argument is about grooming standards?

1 Corinthians 14 33For God is not a God of disorder but of peace.
As in all the congregations of the saints, 34women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. 35If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

36Did the word of God originate with you? Or are you the only people it has reached? 37If anybody thinks he is a prophet or spiritually gifted, let him acknowledge that what I am writing to you is the Lord's command. 38If he ignores this, he himself will be ignored.

39Therefore, my brothers, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues. 40But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way.

~~~~So It doesnt say if a women is without a husband what she should do, but it seems like chivalry (just to keep order)

18Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.

19Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them.

20Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.

21Fathers, do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged.

22Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to win their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. 23Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, 24since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. 25Anyone who does wrong will be repaid for his wrong, and there is no favoritism.

~~You'd think slavery would come up out of reading this chapter also
... So no husband is allowed to be harsh (In my understanding that would mean he would have to bring up her opinion in church, since it is just an order thing remember) Plus you have to see it as a fitting to the Lord thing, ya know the other half of that line... What is Fitting to the Lord?

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I have to admit that family was tighter and more peaceful before than now.

top topics

join