It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unbelievable! Jimmy Carter denies what he said about the Obama protesters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Granted the man is old no doubt but imo if he is unable to remember what he says then he should probably refrain from making controversial statements that result in political fodder for weeks. It was all the news was talking about and he says he didn't say it?

Here is the notorious incident of him saying that an overwhelming amount of the protesters are doing it because Obama is Black.

And here he is denying he said it LOL seriously Mr.Carter we have the tape

I'm not posting this to cause an Obama debate but to show that mainstream puts way too much weight into what these old timer politicians say and do when in fact they themselves aren't even clear as to what they are trying to say.

We should probably just ignore them all together.

[edit on 4-10-2009 by Beefcake]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Wheres the transcript of what he said?

In the second video are they referencing to the first video or another interview?
I know that may sound dumb but are they?

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Wheres the transcript of what he said?

In the second video are they referencing to the first video or another interview?
I know that may sound dumb but are they?

The first interview was where he made the original inflammatory statements saying

I think an overwhelming portion of the intensely demonstrated animosity toward President Barack Obama is based on the fact that he is a black man, that he is an African-American.

Candy Crowley of CNN is paraphrasing that interview by saying "overall" instead of overwhelming. Carter denies saying that and says he believes that "fringe" elements are racist.

Fringe isn't even close to Overwhelming and had he said Fringe originally there would have been no story because everyone agrees that sure some protesters are racist but not most of them.

Fox news has already picked up on his backpedaling as you would expect they would. Fox news is garbage but none the less Carter is either forgetting what he said that dominated the news cycle for a week or he is spinning.

Here is the Fox news article.
www.foxnews.com...

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Beefcake

Yeah the man is older than dirt. He wont have any bearing on the situation anyway. He should go back to building houses.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Can't blame Jimmy..........he's just looking out for his second term.

Jimmy Carter brought us Ronald Reagan, I wonder if Mr. Obama can bring us someone half as good as Reagan?

[edit on 4-10-2009 by RRconservative]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
He didn't say that the protesters were racist. Crowley tried to turn it into that but he wouldn't let her. He was not talking about protesters, he was talking about the intensely demonstrated animosity, whether by protesters or not.

His first quote:

"I think an overwhelming portion of the intensely demonstrated animosity toward President Barack Obama is based on the fact that he is a black man, that he's African-American," Carter told "NBC Nightly News."

Source

Nothing about the "protesters".

Crowley's quote:

...you made some remarks recently about how you felt about the protesters that were protesting against President Obama. You said, overall, you thought the protesters were upset that there was a black president, that there was racism involved.”

Source

He denied something all right. He denied the words she put into his mouth. He said nothing about protesters. Many of them have very good reasons for protesting issues. It's really pretty simple.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I believe this is the transcript he was referring to...

Transcript of Former President Jimmy Carter's Remarks on Racism at an Emory University Townhall Meeting on Wednesday, Sept. 16, 2009

Question: Do you still believe that racism is an issue that President Obama is facing in passing bills in Congress?

President Carter: Yes, I do. Let me answer this question very carefully.

I think it is completely legitimate, and to be expected, to have tough, sometimes even unfair debates about major issues that face our country. Health care is one. I think it is within the bounds of political propriety, for instance, for opponents of President Obama's proposal to raise the false claim that there are death squads, and that everybody that is over 65 years old is going to be deprived of medical care, to let them die early. Those are the kinds of claims that have been made against them. That's okay.

But when a radical fringe element of demonstrators and others begin to attack the President of the United States of America as an animal or as a reincarnation of Adolf Hitler, or when they waved signs in the air that said we should have buried Obama with Kennedy, those kinds of things are beyond the bounds of the way Presidents have ever been accepted, even with people who disagree.

And I think people that are guilty of that kind of personal attack against Obama have been influenced to a major degree by a belief that he should not be president because he happens to be African-American. It's a racist attitude, and my hope is, and my expectation is, that in the future both Democratic leaders and Republican leaders will take the initiative in condemning that kind of unprecedented attack on the President of the United States.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
The kind of over-generalization pointed out in this thread happens a lot. It's a lazy way of communicating, not to mention, a Straw Man. Here's an example:

Me: "I think there is an element of opposition to Obama because he is black".

Someone else: "So, if I oppose Obama, I'm a racist, right? I can't say anything against Obama without being called racist"!

It's a logical fallacy. Because I did not say or imply that ALL opposition to Obama is because he's black. I said there is an element. This is what's happening in the Jimmy Carter thing. People are using a Straw Man to attack his statement. It's lazy and downright false.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Carter suffers from dementia.

It started the day he got elected President, and his condition rapidly deteriorated every day after that.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Can't blame Jimmy..........he's just looking out for his second term.

Jimmy Carter brought us Ronald Reagan, I wonder if Mr. Obama can bring us someone half as good as Reagan?

[edit on 4-10-2009 by RRconservative]

Lol lets only hope.

As far as Jimmy Carters statements, who cares? Why are we putting so much stock into the statements of a man who was known for being a backwoods slothtard of a president. It seems that the mainstream media believes that we have no grasp of history at all.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

The kind of over-generalization pointed out in this thread happens a lot. It's a lazy way of communicating, not to mention, a Straw Man. Here's an example:

Its ok if you choose the role of apologist. The fact remains originally he said an "OVERWHELMING" element of the protesters are racist.

THEN he said a "FRINGE" element.

Fringe is practically the polar opposite of overwhelming. Had he actually said Fringe this would never have ever been a story and the Carter quote would never have gotten headlines for almost 2 weeks.

Carter was RACE BAITING

How some of you can manage to say this is an over generalization is beyond me but in the end it's irrelevant as you are probably still in the left right paradigm and will just defend any Democrat regardless.

I don't care what Carter says but when he said this it cornered political discussion for almost 2 weeks and it is still quoted when ever they say ALL people against Obama are racist. So it is important if it sparks political discourse especially if he says he never said it LOL.

Both parties are controlled both parties are scum and as far as Carter goes if he does have dementia he should not be weighing in on controversial political issues on national TV programs if he doesn't even know what he is saying. Words matter i'm afraid especially when coming from an ex-President.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Beefcake

"What is the definition of "is"?"

"He did not say wipe Israel off the map . . . just the" Zionist regime"!"

"It is not "rape-rape"!"

"He didn't say that the protesters were racist, just people who "intensely demonstrated animosity" are racist!"

See the pattern here?

It is all word games, and you get people that fall for it hook, line, and sinker.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I think you are all missing the point here.
The old saying is
"How can you tell if a politician is lying? His lips are moving."
"How can you tell if a media representative is lying? His lips are moving."

If you are bought & paid for, how can you not help but lie to further your master's agenda.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Its called alzheimer's

Most people with moderate alzheimer's can not remember what they said the day before.

While it is mostly a disorder of the elderly.

Some politicians have been know to get a rapid onset type on the day they are elected to office.

new topics

top topics

join