It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone Made a Meditation Room?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Hi there all,

recently moved house and luckily we have a couple of spare rooms. I was thinking of making a meditation room where I can unwind.

Never had the chance to have a decent size space to meditate, noise free and clear my head.

Wondered if anyone on here has done a similar thing? Maybe you could give me a few ideas to incorporate into my own room!!

Ive got the incense burner and CD Player for Relaxing tunes.

apart from that the room is empty and awaiting some more ideas. I was thinking of some kind of wall art, but not sure what exaclty.

If anyone has any ideas, or anything that has helped in the whole experience it would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers, G.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   

recently moved house and luckily we have a couple of spare rooms. I was thinking of making a meditation room where I can unwind.

Great idea.

Maybe you could give me a few ideas to incorporate into my own room!!

Mine doubles as a library, with lots of bookcases against the walls. The key features are a folding screen, which defines one end of the meditation space, a bench which defines the other end (and provides me a perch), and a floor lamp on a dimmer switch, to control the level of illumination with one point of intervention.

I did have a CD player in there at one time, but it was better deployed to my office workspace instead, obviously a matter of personal taste. I am mainly a silent, seated meditator.

Since the room is largely empty space, it can also serve as a "reception area" or "ad hoc space" as needed. A small amount of wall art, and the screen itself, feature animal motifs.

It is not the only place I meditate, but it is nice to know that there is always someplace I can go for meditation.

Although my little setup hardly resembles it, the source for the idea to do this at all was a visit to the Boston Museum of Fine Arts' Buddhist Temple Room:

flickr.com...

It is an extraordinary space, on the edge of the downtown of a great city.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Get yourself a "mindfold" to block light

Minimize content in the room - simplicity (white space for example)

If you can prepare an alter (crystals as amplifiers for intent, Mandala's for symbolic presence etc) - when you meditate at or towards the alter this collects the sum of your intent making each meditation more focused and powerful.

Consider a crystal grid on the floor (google this) as a portal or activator for your meditation

Look into holosync/hemisync for brainwave entrainment that will help take you into various meditative states

Incense/smudging helps to cleanse the room

if you can do you meditations at the same time each day this will make them stronger/more effective.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I don't have a room, but I do have a chamber.

A sensory deprivation chamber. Just ease myself into it, close the hatch, and MAN, you will never believe the experiences you can have within your own mind.

Check them out, there are many places throughout the country where you can go and rent time inside one, but I use it so often and at weird times of the day and night, so I just bought one.

Seriously, if you want to REALLY explore your own mind, you need to check them out.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by uaocteaou
I don't have a room, but I do have a chamber.

A sensory deprivation chamber. Just ease myself into it, close the hatch, and MAN, you will never believe the experiences you can have within your own mind.

Check them out, there are many places throughout the country where you can go and rent time inside one, but I use it so often and at weird times of the day and night, so I just bought one.

Seriously, if you want to REALLY explore your own mind, you need to check them out.

When there's no external stimuli, there's internal stimuli.

It's nice when you are in the right frame of mind...

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
will definatley check these ideas out. thanks. never heard of the grid on the floor before. Will look into this.

g

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Ours had a futon mattress on the floor with lots of pillows and tapestries hung around on the walls. Some in the corners to take the squareness of the room away. Also, eucalyptus leaves that smell divine can be purchased in most arts and crafts areas.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
we have a chess board in ours.
and an exercise ball to sit on...i want to get a lot of big indian style pillows.
we have posters (ick!) on the wall, but as a compromise with my boyfriend i am going to dress up our starry night picture by buying a vintage window sill and putting it under the poster and draping some pretty jewel toned curtains around it like curtains...
i may take some decoupage glue to it to make it seem more painted, and less poster-y.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Wonderful idea. It really does help.

I have such a room, however it's in my garden in the back yard. I took one of those Gazebo thingy's and retrofited it for my needs.

It's the size of your basic bedroom, has a couple of yoga mats, and then in the middle on the wall is a shrine with candels, incense and various other mediation tools.

I also have soft lighting and cushions that line up the walls on either side, so my children have a place to go and get some quiet time as well.

For suggestions, I would use whatever room has the most natural lighting in it and is relatively cool.

Hope all goes well and congrats on your new environment

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I've wanted to do the same thing but haven't got a room or the supplies for it yet.

I want to meditate in the dead center of the room, though, and put a big spiral or circular rug in the middle of the room to sit on. I also wanted to drape black cloth over all the walls, black out windows, maybe put up a trippy or mythological poster/picture/painting or two and install a black light that I'll only use during special occasions.

I like the idea of also using it as a library, as I have a lot of books that never seem to be all in the same place.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

I'd suggest painting the walls white with nothing on them at all while removing the corners of the room by putting in some sort of curved construction.

Then you could say place an image on the wall as a point of meditation, and swtich it up whenever you like, or just focus on going to nothing in the whiteness, while keeping eyes open and remaining alert throughout.

Make it nothing in the room, except you, and nothing. That's my suggestion for whatever it's worth.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

nice... you cant beat outside meditation. the root chakra at one with mother earth!

bsbray11 - like the idea of centre of the room with round rug! nice idea.

OmegaPoint - i know what you mean. i would just like to put a few things in there, but overall, the room hopefully will stay quite empty.

cheers.

new topics

top topics

join