It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

180 Deg Slip/Strike Eq in SoCal???

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

as regards the quakeprediction guy:
where's he getting the frictional heat charts?

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

Thanks Shirakawa!

After re-reading TA's post and going back through the YS thread, I noticed some of the same ~markers~ we talked about back in the day...

Doesn't explain the continued swarming, but, at least the wind thesis lifts a few pounds off my furrowed brow
I think...
Hmmm...

Keeler, Ca

Wind: 5.0 mph from the North
Wind Gust: 10.0 mph

Guess I need to look fer some info on the station...see if it's exposed or what-not...

[edit on 10/4/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo
reply to post by TrueAmerican

any military bases in the area, cause if so, they already have their people on it. no way would they let this weird swarm thing go unobserved because of malfunctioning equipment.

China Lake weapons test center will be in ruins if this gets big. Its to the south but in the same valley.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

I personally don't know, but I give the guy the benefit of the doubt.
We'll know soon if he is right or not.

reply to post by Hx3_1963

I guess I should have done that earlier, that would have saved people's time

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Has there been any sign of deformation?

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
sorry but Naval Weapons center China Lake is in the next valley down from them.
I have already tied thing down for the ride just in case being that i live JUST outside the base at NWC China Lake

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by skepticantiseptic

Hey Hx...You are up late or very early aren't you? I woke up about 3:00 AM and so far haven't been able to get back to sleep.

Weird.
I went to bed at 12pm last night but did NOT sleep at all till after 8am, and then only for 2 hours......been up all day wondering WTF.......
Snowing here in the mnts, and slushing rain in the Salt Lake valley......BRRRRR

[edit on 4-10-2009 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
page of interesting software
earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Psychonaughty

Originally posted by skepticantiseptic
What about all the earthquakes in really strange locations?

Seems to be we are going through a period of earthquakes in many "diverse" locales.

Mentioned in the Bible as a sign of the impending end.

The earth quakes lately have not been in strange locations at all, infact they have been in the general area of the usual.

This is not completely true.
We saw quakes in North Carolina - 4.0 in Colorado and 2 in Canada in a short time.
And Tenn - 2 days in a row. The fact that these do occasionally happen is one thing
the fact that they happened within days or sometimes the same day as each other is another thing.

Keeler Ca, is an active area - but the amount - mag - and frequency is not "normal" - It's active right now in many areas. Denying that doesn't help anyone get a grip on the truth of the situation. Although we can't predict exactly what will happen - it is imperative that we admit to what is happening -
to give us some indication of what pattern might be presenting itself.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Oh poop, They just had a 5.0 in Japan. Japan and California always set each other off. Be prepared to see another decent quake in Cali very soon if not tomorrow.

Can be Alaska too but I'm betting California.

[edit on 4-10-2009 by Sky watcher]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Granite

...Guess where I skinny-dipped after getting the permit? Where the Owens river meets the dry lake bed the day before the eq at the epicenter!
Now, I have pictures to add in this post. Being my first post, I'll be editing them in later.
Considering the Owens River doesn't 'meet' the dry lake... please edit in your pictures with care.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
On the USGS website (PAGER)--just in case a big EQ does occur. It will give societal impact estimates.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
A mag of 6 to 7 ????

The area had a mag 7.8 to 8 in 1872.
and is due for another BIG one.
>snip

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
So will this quake of 7 or more go hand in hand with the nuke that is supposed to go off in DC next week?

Please people, siesmic activity happens every second of the day. It's actually good that it's happening. Better to be released in many tiny increments than to seize up causing an unbelievable energy buildup. So many are so gullible. There is no big one coming before the 7th.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by PenandSword

check this out: www.abovetopsecret.com... the science of earthquakes appears to be getting more precise.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by PenandSword
So will this quake of 7 or more go hand in hand with the nuke that is supposed to go off in DC next week?

Please people, siesmic activity happens every second of the day. It's actually good that it's happening. Better to be released in many tiny increments than to seize up causing an unbelievable energy buildup. So many are so gullible. There is no big one coming before the 7th.

Yes some people.... spouting off when they really should learn more before wagging their fingers at others.

Ohh check this out when you get a chance...

www.wisegeek.com...

Although many people believe that smaller earthquakes serve to delay larger earthquakes by working to relieve pressure on fault lines, this assumption is thought to be incorrect. It’s true that small earthquakes do relieve pressure on fault lines, but it would take many tiny earthquakes to release the amount of energy that would be equivalent to one very large earthquake. In fact, every time an earthquake increases one point on the magnitude scale, it releases 40 times more energy. Therefore, a small earthquake at a magnitude of 2 would need to occur 163,840,000,000 times to relieve the same amount of pressure as one major earthquake with a magnitude of 9. Since having approximately one million earthquakes every day for almost 500 years is highly unlikely, it becomes clear that the purpose of small earthquakes is not to relieve pressure on fault lines in order to delay larger earthquakes.

Even though small earthquakes don’t prevent large earthquakes by helping to relieve pressure on fault lines, they are useful in that seismologists have often found they precede major earthquakes.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR

Originally posted by PenandSword

Yes some people.... spouting off when they really should learn more before wagging their fingers at others.

Ohh check this out when you get a chance...

www.wisegeek.com...

Although many people believe that smaller earthquakes serve to delay larger earthquakes by working to relieve pressure on fault lines, this assumption is thought to be incorrect. It’s true that small earthquakes do relieve pressure on fault lines, but it would take many tiny earthquakes to release the amount of energy that would be equivalent to one very large earthquake. In fact, every time an earthquake increases one point on the magnitude scale, it releases 40 times more energy. Therefore, a small earthquake at a magnitude of 2 would need to occur 163,840,000,000 times to relieve the same amount of pressure as one major earthquake with a magnitude of 9. Since having approximately one million earthquakes every day for almost 500 years is highly unlikely, it becomes clear that the purpose of small earthquakes is not to relieve pressure on fault lines in order to delay larger earthquakes.

Even though small earthquakes don’t prevent large earthquakes by helping to relieve pressure on fault lines, they are useful in that seismologists have often found they precede major earthquakes.

So what say you is a 'major' quake? 4.0? 4.5? 5.0? 5.5?
And if there happened to be a 5.2 in the immediate area, would that be a fore-shock, main-sequence, or after-shock?
Guess you won't know unless a larger quake occurs in the immediate area, but... having had a 5.2 in the area within 72 hours, what's the most likely scenario?

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

I'm no expert and even if I was the experts don't know either. It's all just guessing blindly at what straw will be the one that breaks the camels back.

What I do know is that opening up my equake browser bar and seeing all 5.0+'s in the history gives me a feeling that something is going to give soon and I would be it will be of decent size. That doesn't mean it would even do damage though, it could just shake in the middle of nowhere and then cause no followup tsunami's,

We just don't know, I would love to hear what russianscientist has to say about this. I actually believe him when he says he has a way to predict these by monitoring pressure.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Well okey is this doomsday or is it just layman's playing with numbers?

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR
reply to post by abecedarian

I'm no expert and even if I was the experts don't know either. It's all just guessing blindly at what straw will be the one that breaks the camels back.

What I do know is that opening up my equake browser bar and seeing all 5.0+'s in the history gives me a feeling that something is going to give soon and I would be it will be of decent size. That doesn't mean it would even do damage though, it could just shake in the middle of nowhere and then cause no followup tsunami's,

We just don't know, I would love to hear what russianscientist has to say about this. I actually believe him when he says he has a way to predict these by monitoring pressure.

I live in California, maybe 200-300 miles tops from Keeler. The area is mostly abandoned silver mines, quite a few zinc, lead and related smelts. Owens Lake was made dry by the City of Los Angeles and their aquaducts. There's been some rediation taking place but LA is still taking more water from the ground than what the area needs to at least "break even".

The area the 'quakes' presented / are occurring in are doing so in an area not previously known as fault lines, but that's not enough to say that there aren't 'faults' in the area. They can only locate fault lines when quakes occur, and monitoring stations all agree and give 3D informations about the movements.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join