It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

180 Deg Slip/Strike Eq in SoCal???

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
S+F, I already knew the CA plate had begun initiation into moving Southwards from the recent Pacific quakes showing that movement is already occuring. The Magma under the Pacific Plate must really be moving convectionally underneath to be driving all of this.

Already MT Cleveland has erupted in Alaska and I'd expect some of the American/South American volcanoes to be following suite in the next week or two.

I had a hunch the CA plate was being "stuck" somewhere along the line but with the recon I now know where to look at for the next one, Is this location anywhere near Parkfield as any movement there would be significant on getting data as to how much the Pacific plate is moving and taking the CA zone with it.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ROBL240

This area is NE of Parkfield, but, there was some activity there around the beginning of the swarm...

3.0 2009/09/30 06:05:28 36.049N 120.615W 10.4 23 km (15 mi) NW of Parkfield, CA

Parkfield
quake.usgs.gov...

2.8 2009/10/04 14:59:28 36.388N 117.862W 0.9 11 km ( 7 mi) S of Keeler, CA
1.5 2009/10/04 13:20:58 36.088N 117.915W 3.9 6 km ( 4 mi) NNE of Coso Junction, CA

Now this one is a tad concerning to me...look at it's intersection...

Garlock & San Andreas Faults...

2.1 2009/10/04 14:10:51 34.800N 118.920W 12.5 4 km ( 2 mi) SE of Frazier Park, CA

quake.usgs.gov...

[edit on 10/4/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Like I said in a previous post, if the world starts shaking I will let you know. I will grab my little flip video and try and get it on film. I live in CV, 15min outside of Bishop. I am intimately familiar with the area and have friends all over the place here. If anything goes on I will let you know. Otherwise just relax people. Business as usual here

DK

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Now this is what throws me off...

...Notice now it's ~in phase~...why out of phase other times???

2.0 2009/10/04 15:16:04 36.388N 117.880W 4.7 11 km ( 7 mi) S of Keeler, CA

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Also, check the calibration of CWC. It's off by 3 microns on every channel, which indicates that it's due for a servicing soon. Once they get that far out I tend not to trust em too much, and ESPECIALLY the BHE and BHN channels. Cause there is no telling what they'll do.

And just a note: I have noticed that a lot of CA stations stay out of calibration for long periods of time, just like many other stations all over the world. As an example, for the last 8 months I know of several stations I really wish they would reset, but it just hasn't happened. If I recall correctly, this can cost a pretty good bit of money and for many stations it involves an actual trip to the station by a tech. In remote areas that can be a real pain.

I really wouldn't put too much stock in movements on BHE and BHN channels, when there is nothing happening on the station's BHZ channel. And that's about all I really have left to say. Would it help anyone if I put together a "GEE for Newbies" kind of thread full of tips?

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
What the...? I know absolutely zero about quake measurements, slippage, E/W N/S movements, but I do know that a major earthquake running up and down the entire west coast would put my town in the Pacific Ocean or, at the very least, my home in the bay.

Why do you think this isn't headline news? What are your best estimates on what will happen within the next week or so? If I need to jump in my car and drive east quickly, what should I be watching for - if I can learn how to (somewhat) read the graphs?

Thank you... and Blessings.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

A ~Noobie Lesson~ ...good idea!
(I can take a hint...
)

And then a nice example of a lock/slip...

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

Would it help anyone if I put together a "GEE for Newbies" kind of thread full of tips?

Yes, absolutely. THANK YOU in advance!

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Anyone getting hungry???

earthquake.usgs.gov...

4.9 2009/10/04 22:06:01 -57.618 -25.345 35.0 SOUTH SANDWICH ISLANDS REGION

And...

earthquake.usgs.gov...

5.2 2009/10/04 21:50:50 31.763 49.675 10.0 WESTERN IRAN

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963

A ~Noobie Lesson~ ...good idea!
(I can take a hint...

No no, seriously, please don't take it that way at all. I surely did not mean anything of the sort. But there are a few people around here that have been at it for a good while, and can help you avoid these kinds of reactions when you see stuff in GEE. After a while you really do learn to ignore things, and you see recognizable patterns right away. Like a truck or train for instance. Or wind noise that shows up on webicorders- which is a whole other subject- but easily recognizable in GEE.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   

No offense taken...a little humor to lighten the mood...

So besides the slight off calibration issue, you see nothing in the sometimes in sync, sometimes out of sync phenomenon?

I know you've got a lot of GEE under yer belt
and I trust yer calls, but, I'd hate to dismiss the E/N channels completely and miss a Horizontal precursor...

Like this...you can see the Horiz before the Vert...

Edit: BTW I also was down to just the ~Z~ displays for the past couple of months , but, for some reason just decided to leave them all up the past few days...just to see if it would enlighten me as to the continuation of the swarm...

And that 3 off...it wasn't like that a day or two ago?

IMO I think that 5.2 was so close it shook it ~up~ ?

Wonder if we can get puterman or Shirakawa to do some audio encoding to listen for clues?

1.9 2009/10/04 15:53:46 36.397N 117.852W 1.4 10 km ( 6 mi) S of Keeler, CA

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963
So besides the slight off calibration issue, you see nothing in the sometimes in sync, sometimes out of sync phenomenon?

Well, let me see if I can rephrase this in such a way that you can see this easier.

Look carefully at the bhe and bhn channels again in the above pic you posted. Stare at them and think. How could it be possible for the earth to move in exact relational tandem, both east/west and north/south, so in sync, so perfectly, for so long? Answer: it isn't. Way to vet this: you wait for a bit and watch it. If the bhe and bhn channels do not split off and do their own thing very quickly, and you keep getting a symmetrical pattern like that for an extended period of time, it can only mean one thing- that there is something wrong with the station.

The earth moves randomly, and pick any other working station and you will see this consistently. Yeah, sometimes there are patterns that develop for a few seconds, but when you get something like that what you're seeing FOR SO LONG, it is a sure sign that it is not the earth doing it. In the worst case, I suppose it's possible a cow could have laid down on the ground next to it and is doing belly rubs on the ground or something- worse things have been known to happen, hehe.

The issue of corroboration- ie, finding stations close by to check for similar events, can not be overstated. It is critical. Amplitude is also critical. I don't even pay attention much anymore to anything under 200 microns, but keep in mind that is also within the context of my own monitoring strategy- which makes a huge difference- and also depends on the area being monitored.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Ok, I didnt read the entire thread but am I correct in saying that you've decided it's an anomaly in the station and not something big about to happen?

Boy... I'm glad I live in SC.. all we have to worry about is hurricanes and you can see them coming from a looooong way off!

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   

any military bases in the area, cause if so, they already have their people on it. no way would they let this weird swarm thing go unobserved because of malfunctioning equipment.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   

I see your point...it's as if their too in sync or as it is, out of sync...

But, stuff like this...still makes me wonder...

Ok...I'll try not to look to deep into them, unless, I really spot some dis-convergence that breaks the ongoing pattern THX

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Strange, some of my favorite earthquake following sites are either not fully loading or are down. Considering I am from Ca. this is very important information for me to have. Thank you.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Parksfield interesting Place. Last year we were talking about the quakes hitting Reno.

I noticed an out of place quake on the IRIS map....Colorado.

I remember last year they were having weird ground temperatures upwards slightly of 800 degrees in places like Ventura County section of the Los Padres National Forest in Cal. and Colorado Springs Park, Colorado.

I had at that point wondered if Yellowstone had Lava tubes that ran out and connected to the Cascade Mountain Volcanoes but Scientist seem to say there is no connection to/with the Lava tubes, but I don't know about that.

Now these Scientist are discovering that these small Cal. quakes are basically connected to the the big Indonesia quakes.

I think Yellowstone is more massive then we have been told.
I have seen Alien ships as you call them near Yellowstone more so the Geysers and the more I observe this stuff the more I believe they are helping these releases of energies to help even if it is bad it could be way worst then ever expected.

Sometimes when these bad things happen with this Planet it has to be...... kind of like losing a few to save the many.

All we can do is observe but I feel this will calm down again like it did last year at least I hope so.

If anyone lives nears Volcanoes watch the skies ship activity should pick up if it already hasn't.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Ok TA...

Can ya tell yer Cow to stop playing with the sensors now?

2.0 2009/10/04 16:04:36 36.399N 117.854W 4.6 10 km ( 6 mi) S of Keeler, CA

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Reading your comment about military bases nearby jogged my memory about hearing jets fly very fast in the Owens Valley the Friday of the eq swarm in the early evening. This is normal activity. China Lake naval base is 45 miles south of epicenter. Edwards AFB is 100 miles south.
The number of sorties over the dry lake bed must number in the 100 of thousands.
But, since this is ATS perhaps they used "equipment" to induce a quake swarm? To reduce some threat to their infrastructure by a separation of techtonic plates recently realized. Literally in their back yard.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Ok guys, I finally took some of my time to download seismic data, convert it to audio and load it to Audacity and...

(this is a section from the last few minutes, you may recognize some features)

...my conclusion is that the CWC station is subject to wind noise (the horizontal parallel streaks on the upper chart) and that sudden changes of long period waves (bottom two ones, seismic waves < 1 Hz) are due to that noise.

So, it's most probably wind noise.
ANYWAY, there's still the 6.4-6.8 earthquake prediction for Oct 4-6 from www.quakeprediction.com...

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join