It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

180 Deg Slip/Strike Eq in SoCal???

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by nomorecruelty

Thanks for the link! Very cool software.

Mod Note: One Line and Short Posts – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 4-10-2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
By the way, this is where the CWC seismometer is located.
Its distance from the earthquakes is about 20 Kilometers:

Information taken from here:
www.iris.edu...

Their location seems consistent to the fact that on GEE there's is more West/East ground movement than North/South.

[edit on 2009-10-4 by Shirakawa]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
long time lurker in this area..good job with updates, keep it up..

is this something new and different from normal?? like this just started? And does this have the attention of any professional geologist..like would this be an indication that they should put up some kind of warning or watch alert?

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I could not stand to live in an active earthquake zone. Way too unpredictable for me. It is not like tornado's or hurricanes that you can see coming. I would be nervous all the time.

Mod Note: Please Stay on Topic

[edit on 4-10-2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Partial fault map of Central California:
quake.wr.usgs.gov...

With recent earthquakes overlayed:
quake.wr.usgs.gov...

These earthquakes don't seem do be occurring directly on known faults.

On the another page there's this disclaimer though:

Earthquakes can appear near a fault without having occurred on that fault. To associate an earthquake with a fault requires viewing both of them in three-dimensions.

[edit on 2009-10-4 by Shirakawa]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Might be relevant: quake.usgs.gov...

A moderate earthquake occurred at 6:15:59 PM (PDT) on Friday, October 2, 2009.
The magnitude 5.2 event occurred 11 km (7 miles) S of Keeler, CA.
The hypocentral depth is 0 km (0.0 miles).

More quake info on the area: quake.usgs.gov...
List of quakes on that map:
quake.usgs.gov...
Most significant quake in the area, within 24 hours:
quake.usgs.gov...
Mag|Date--------|Loc. time|Latitude|Longitude|Depth-|Location
3.5 2009/10/03 18:02:08 36.385N 117.868W 0.3 km 11 km ( 7 mi) S of Keeler, CA

What may be in the process of being seen is/are aftershocks of the above mentioned quakes, not a precursor.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by LenGXV6
Not aware of those, I look more to the pacific and indian ocean region. If you have info on the Med region, please post

Try here.. www.iris.edu...

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
That has been going on for days. It cant be good because its just south of the Long Valley Super Volcano caldera and on its old rift zone. We could be seeing Lava pushing up. We here at ATS have caught the USGS hiding info before.

They would never tell us if something was going on here. What are the going to do evac half of California? a large quake in this area could bring disaster to the world.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
This is complete and utter fear mongering. Nothing is bad is going to happen to the wonderful people of California. Earthquakes are complete unpredictable and the big one is atleast 100 years off.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
This will be a very concerning few days.

We are at 'Full Moon' today and there are always far more and far stronger earthquakes during a full moon period.

Check out the moon phase for 26 Dec 2004 and you'll find it was a full moon.

As for California, it would not be surprising if it did 'give' as the full moon phase does not end until Wednesday, so quite a while to go yet and Phillipines is on Tsunami alert having just had, a few hours ago, a 6.6 earthquake.

If it is true that 'something else, something very big' is also exerting magnetic pull on the earth at this period, we may be in serious doo doo!

Interesting times!

Take care, everyone!

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
If it is true that 'something else, something very big' is also exerting magnetic pull on the earth at this period, we may be in serious doo doo!

More on this please!

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Good work HX. You are in line with the thoughts of other EQ watchers on several other sites. They are also predicting a Pacific Coast EQ of 6+--highly likely today or tomorrow no later than the 15th of Oct. We shall all know soon enough.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

In years past there have been swarms in this area, and I would hope the Keelers are just aftershocks of the 5.2 Fri. But maybe things are still on the move here. And then I hope it's releasing and not building up.

I remember being in a house when a 3. hit, and there was a loud BANG, but that was all. A 5 we take more seriously, and a 6 is 100 times more powerful, etc.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that other locations near there are Cartago, Olancha, Darwin, and Coso Junction. Watch for them on the list.

Also, another poster mentioned, the Long Valley caldera to the north (about 90 miles). Look for Mammoth Lakes or Tom's Place on the quake list for that area.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Some info on a large quake in the area:
1872 Lone Pine Earthquake

The Great Lone Pine earthquake was one of the largest earthquakes to hit California in recorded history. The quake struck on March 26, 1872 and its epicenter was near Lone Pine, California in Owens Valley. The true size of this earthquake is not known, but historical evidence detailing the damage it caused in settlements and landforms near the epicenter, and the geographic extent to which noticeable movement was felt, leads researchers to estimate a Richter magnitude of 7.6 to 8 or greater — similar in size to the 1906 San Francisco earthquake.

The quake resulted from sudden vertical (15-20 feet) and right-lateral (35-40 feet) movement on the Lone Pine Fault and part of the Owens Valley Fault. These faults are part of a twin system of normal faults that run along the base of two parallel mountain ranges; the Sierra Nevada on the west and Inyo Mountains on the east flank of Owens Valley.

Researchers later estimated that similar earthquakes occur on the Lone Pine fault every 3,000-4,000 years. However, the Lone Pine fault is only one of many faults on two parallel systems of faults mentioned above.

Lone Pine is within 20-30 miles N to NNE of the epicenters of the recent swarm.

[edit on 10/4/2009 by abecedarian]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I edited this post because I have a tendency to look at what I live now and what I observe and what I am shown and told when I am with Beings that Observe and Monitor this Planet.

I don't know if most people are really ready to accept things I write and it could be a little scary so I thought it best I edit my post so as not to disrupt this important thread.

If you had read what I had already written keep it in the back of your mind and in time we may learn we don't really know as much about this Planet as we thought we did.

Thanks for the stars

[edit on 4-10-2009 by observe50]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by gusan

We ALWAYS get an increase in quakes at full moon, and this full moon is no exception.

But, if and I mean if the prediction of a brown star passing on its eliptical orbit sept / oct 2009 is true, it was always expected to increase gravitational pull 'from external sources' ie moon, brown star etc and we have seen a massive increase in the amount of earthquakes and strength of these quakes.

The Moon effect was regular and inevitable but 'brown star'?

The difference to usual full moon phases is the amount, the strength and the universality of all fault lines heavily affected.

Something is 'pulling'......just a little more than usual, but California has had intense spurts of mini quakes before, just not at the same time as all the other faults being so active.

Volcanic eruptions have increased also.

As I said, 'interesting times' and time will tell.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963
Look and be educated...

Is that 180 or.............. :shk:

I just got the program, how do I use it to see what you are seeing here?

I see a TON of white and blue triangles for the US but no key as to what they mean.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
wow there's a lot of tin here haha..no biggy..

But the OP was specific about the movement directions? Is this confirmed or speculation by reading the graphs? And if confirmed (or possibly correct anyways), is this different and more significant than the usual tremors that happen all the time in that area.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elliot
reply to post by gusan

But, if and I mean if the prediction of a brown star passing on its eliptical orbit sept / oct 2009 is true, it was always expected to increase gravitational pull 'from external sources' ie moon, brown star etc and we have seen a massive increase in the amount of earthquakes and strength of these quakes.

The Moon effect was regular and inevitable but 'brown star'?

do you have details? a link?

I hope I got this quote thing right

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by mkross1983

Highlight a couple blue triangles, and they will get a white border around them. Then just click on "Load Real-time Data".

I like to monitor a few at a time and am currently watching 4.

Mammoth
Cottenwood Creek
Trona
Big Bear solar observatory

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join