It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eight U.S. troops killed in east Afghan battle

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

Its been 8 years. Where is the pipeline?

As for Iran, we havn't positioned any forces in Afghanistan anywhere close to Iran. I have been to the FOB closest to the Iranian border, a small former Soviet airfield, that was over 100km from Iran's border.

Most US forces in Afghanistan are in the South and Southeast, near Pakistan's border.

Now Iran could at some point still get targeted by airstrikes, but the idea of ground forces coming from Afghanistan would be almost impossible.

Personally I think we need to finish the fight against the Jihadist networks, before we take any action on Iran. The Jihadists should be our number one priority. They are the greatest threat to the nation.

Iran can wait.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I think most Americans including many on this site seem to forget that manifest destiny is alive and well in the US and it was never intended to stop at the Pacific ocean and Atlantic Seaboard.. Nothing has changed since our inception. A majority of our political leaders, our culture, and our society would love to see the world molded into our image. Now 200 years ago I might agree with this. But I'm not proud of American culture in this day and age. I'm not proud of having WalMart's and McDonald's on every corner. I think America was hijacked A LONG time ago by pseudocapitalists and corporations in order to use us/her/it as an excuse to take over and infect other countries...........I think the term is "emerging markets". LOL.

There are LOTS of Americans who don't like other countries, other cultures, other religions etc. They'd be lost without their McDonald's and Starbucks. The Americanization of the world has been a goal of many industrialists, capitalist, corporations for a long time. Nothing will change unless the American people stand up and demand change.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ninecrimes

I really don't care how many US soldiers died- they all signed their lives away for $40k and a gun. What about the natives of the land they were trying to murder, rape, maim, torture, imprison, enslave and conquer?

Yes, why should you care. They are only your fellow American brothers and sisters. They are only doing a job that our government sent them to do. They are only trying to make sure that an event like 9/11 doesn't happen again.

But none of that matters to you. Your just a strong person spilling your words all over this internet because you believe that we shouldn't be over there.

I could see you not caring about our government because of the war, but when you don't care about the lives and safety of your fellow Americans, you don't even deserve to call yourself an American, much less be in America IMO.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

I really don't care how many US soldiers died- they all signed their lives away for $40k and a gun. What about the natives of the land they were trying to murder, rape, maim, torture, imprison, enslave and conquer?

Yes, why should you care. They are only your fellow American brothers and sisters. They are only doing a job that our government sent them to do. They are only trying to make sure that an event like 9/11 doesn't happen again.

But none of that matters to you. Your just a strong person spilling your words all over this internet because you believe that we shouldn't be over there.

I could see you not caring about our government because of the war, but when you don't care about the lives and safety of your fellow Americans, you don't even deserve to call yourself an American, much less be in America IMO.

If my government told me to go to Afghanistan, I would say "no".

And yes, you're correct- I really don't care.

I care more about the people these "soldiers" are being sent to INVADE.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by SFwife

Originally posted by ninecrimes

Let's turn the tables here for a second:

If Afghanistan invaded The United States, would you guys be sitting in your homes allowing them to roam the streets and hurt your neighbors/family members? Or would you take up arms and defend your nation, tooth & nail?

I'd defend my nation.

Just like they are defending their nation.

We are the invaders. The sooner everyone understands this, the better.

Absolutely disgusting and insulting to me and many others that post on this board ..Where are the admins when someone post bs like this .

Yes, you are disgusting.

Your undying loyalty to a corrupt regime whom has no issues killing mass quantities of innocent people has made me quite ill.

Where are the admins when some ignorant soccer mom opens her mouth and spews such sewage all over those who are actually here to discuss something?

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by sadchild01
reply to post by Beefcake

I have already suggested to mikeboyusd, that go join private military contractor groups like blackwater, he would be paid well. with future collapse of USA , paramilitary groups are going to operate alongside UN and chinese troops in 'stabillising' USA . he himself stated that he has a bleak future and many family members have lost jobs .

no use explaining to him , hes propaganda infested and USA numero uno , who can't see whats coming . he will starve like the rest , if i were him , i would have joined blackwater or dynacorp by now .

You don't know very much about me. Only what I have posted on ATS.

I wouldn't join a PMC unless it was a last resort. I am not propaganda infested. Examples: Iraq was a distraction from the real war we should of have been focusing on. The war was not handled properly by Rumsfeld. Assets in Iraq would have been much better off in Afghanistan. Iran would be another distaction just like Iraq. We need to finish our fight against the jihadists. Anything else can wait.

I can easily see the worst case scenarios coming: hyperinflation, civil unrest, collapse of many state governments, etc. The military in a worst case scenario would be the very last to starve. We have stockpiles of food, ammo, medicine, etc. that would make survivalists drown in their own drool. We have been preparing for "Armageddon" since the 1950s.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Really I am soccer mom ? News to me .No you sad little misguided wuss I am the wife of a soldier A real man who has done many things to HELP ppl in the middle east .A real Hero
and every post you make ,Every little comment you make shows just how little you know about the whole situation .
For you aren't worth my time .You are a waste of oxygen ,flesh ,and space
Go on and spew your trash ,but just a FYI Green isn't your best color

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Your husband might be a great man- you're right, I don't know him.

However, the numbers speak for themselves.

How many Afghanis have died since we began our invasion?

How many need to die before we stop "helping" and begin "hurting"?

It seems you need to think outside your little American Dream box and start considering just how many people we've killed over there.

We all have our opinions and I am glad you are firm in yours. If we didn't have varying opinions- this wouldn't be America... however, you should try to weigh out both ends before judging someone.

I've weighed out all ends and it seems like Afghanistan is getting the dirty end of the stick.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Going foward...

Address the actual Topic and Not each other's character and or person.

Thank you.

» Breaking Alternative News » Eight U.S. troops killed in east Afghan battle

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Do you not understand that Afghanistan was in the middle of a civil war before 9-11. There wasn't any stable or sovereign government. It was just like Somalia, with warlords, tribal warfare, blood feuds, the Pashtun Taliban, and the Northern Alliance.

We were welcomed by the Northern Alliance. We didn't invade them. They have their own military bases and police stations throughout the country. We are not at war with them. We are helping the Afghan National Army and the Afghan National Police to fight the Pashtun militants in the south.

It is nothing like Iraq was. The Afghans have their own tanks, artillery, and highly motivated army. When I was there, their forces would often make up the bulk of troops used on a mission. In the beginning of the war, they are the ones on the ground who pushed the Taliban out of Kabul. We provided air support.

Now how in the world is that an invasion?

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
It is an invasion because it is a predominately American war. We were not ordered into Afghanistan by anyone other than our own generals.

We have killed more civilians than their "civil war" did.

Our soldier sign up to fight, our soldiers are paid to fight.

Their soldiers were just born on the wrong plot of land.

Justify useless wars all you want, but at the end of the day, PEOPLE ARE DYING BECAUSE OF THE UNITED STATES.

I feel horrible for the families that are being torn apart over there. They did not sign up for this war.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
[Mod Edit: removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post]
Quoting - Please review this link

[edit on 5-10-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
double post, sorry

[edit on 5-10-2009 by ninecrimes]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   

[edit on 5-10-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   

We were ordered into Afghanistan by the former POTUS, not any general.
The POTUS is the commander in chief.

We have come nowhere close to killing as many people as the civil war.

They lost 2 million people in the civil war! I'll say it again, Two Million people!

Since 2001, there have been around 5,000 Afghan forces killed, over 20,000 militants, and possibly 30,000 civilians caught between them.

You have no idea what in the world your talking about. You have no clue about the various ethnic groups and tribes, the blood feuds and tribal wars. Do you even know what the Northern Alliance is? Do you even know who Ahmad Shah Massoud is and why his picture is found all over Afghanistan? You understand who he is and what he accomplished, you might understand why over half of Afghanistan wants to eradicate the Taliban.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoneGrey
Aside from the general outrage expressed by ATS members on this site, how desensitized is the American public becoming, in general, to the mounting casualties?

In Canada, individual in-action deaths of our military still makes nationwide front page news complete with an elaborate repatriation ceremony when the bodies are returned to our soil. However, I'm beginning to see signs of brevity of this coverage as we pass the 130-plus casualty mark.

Please don't become confused about us Americans. It is not that we are desensitized but that the conflicts are not presenting any real forseeable consequences to us. Which is horrible in and of itself I'll admit.

The absolute reverse was true with Vietnam. People had a draft to worry about back then. And this alone is what galvanized people into action. Nothing else.

People haven't changed much I wager. The methods of the PTB have some though. Using the USA like a whip is old school to them now. The Defense Industrial Complex alone has made billions on this as they do so regularly and at regular intervals. When one war goes away the DIC lobbies a new one. They've got to sell their guns and amunition in order to stay in business and buy bigger yahts to sail behind. It's an old ploy by and old player in the game and........ It will continue until us humans stop cooperating with it.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Am I wrong for not knowing the politics of a country I've never been to?

I am not fluent with Italian, Russian, English, Canadian or French politics, either. Am I now disqualified for having an opinion?

For a guy who acts like he knows everything about everyone and every place, you sure seem happy to say "The POTUS ordered us in".

Well, that's not good enough for me.

Why did we get involved in someone else's civil war? Why did we get involved after the UN firmly told us we had no support?

You can hide behind past decisions all you want, but I'll always ask "why".

Why have 30,000 innocent civilians died because of us? Why have thousands of our own soldiers died during this war? Why have we been there for 8 years.

There is no right or wrong in this situation. And while I value your opinion as a fellow American, it's obvious that you do not value mine- which only makes me sad to see our state in such a condition.

Why did we lose these 8 troops?

Why weren't they at home?

Why don't they question the war they are fighting?

Should I be sorry for having so many questions about a war we have no business being in the middle of?

If we didn't invade Afghanistan, would terrorists be blowing themselves up inside our malls and universities?

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

star in a jar, I know we've all heard how Afghanistan is the graveyard of empires, and there was one mistake in your statement.

It is not true that no one has ever conquered Afghanistan.

Alexander conquered it, it took three years to remodel his army to become even lighter and faster, and he eventually did so by depopulating different regions who continued to cause the problems. Alexander literally ran them into the ground.

Likewise, Ghengis conquered Afghanistan, and used the same identical tactics. He ran those who put up resistance into the ground, and thus depopulated the regions that caused the problems.

Two wins.

Identical tactics.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Why have 30,000 innocent civilians died because of us? Why have thousands of our own soldiers died during this war? Why have we been there for 8 years.

Could you provide a source as to the 30,000 innocent civilian deaths and are you attributing all those deaths at the hands of the US military?

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

Could you provide a source as to the 30,000 innocent civilian deaths and are you attributing all those deaths at the hands of the US military?

That's all you took from all my questions?

All I did was give my opinion, to begin with, and you turn it into a debate.. only to retract your desire for debate with overt deflection.

Why don't we all just start answering each others' questions with other irrelevant questions?

[edit on 5-10-2009 by ninecrimes]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join